Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey guys,

I gutted the Stock Nav and JBL amp from my 08 camry hybrid.

I replaced the speakers and ran new wires to a new amp I put in place of the stock one and reused the stock ground bolt already there.

I then Ran the RCAs and the remote from the amp to the new pioneer head unit.

EDIT:

SUCCESS!

And I did not use the metra harness. But thanks for the help none the less.
Nor did I use the ASCW-1 for steering controls.

I Bought a lil 12v battery tester with two probes from home depot and followed the directions in the YouTube vid I posted in my 3rd post.

It turns out that 9! Of the wires on the main 20 pin harness were dead to testing. Maybe they were speaker wires for the old shitty stock JBL system 馃挬

08 Camry Hybrid Harness Color Code:
Blue and yellow=12v Constant Battery Power
Brown is The Ground
Gray is the Ignition / Accessory
Green with Silver marks is illumination/dim

Also in regards to steering controls
I did use the metra 70-8114 but I gutted it and rewired the the two wires next to the black ground pin to the end of the 3.5mm SWC or W/R jack.

When you buy this metra piece the jack will be in the harness , carefully pull the pins of it out of the harness , snip and wire the red to one wire and the white to the other wire that is connected next to the black ground wire in the harness.

There's also the black little harness at the other end of the 70-8114 that would go into the ASWC-1 control everyone recommends but it's a waste if money.

Yank that little black harness out and then look at my pic to see what my rewired 70-8114 looks like.
When you are done you will only have 3 wires in the pin , key 1 , key 2 (which get their ends wired into the 3.5mm jack you yanked out of the black harness attached to the 70-8114 , and there will be a black ground wire. Those 3 in that clip will fit onto the steering harness in the 08 camry hybrid dash.

Best of luck and one love my friends

I'm glad I got through this gauntlet after a solid month of planning and buying and returning and trial and error.

I hope this helps

- Eric Echelons
self promoting section removed per forum rules.

Attachments

Registered
Have you looked at Metra or Scoshe? Not apples to apples but I recently upgraded the HU on my 2003 Camry to a full CarPlay based unit. Someone previously had messed about in there but I was able to fix it. Some key notes from what I had to do

1. Toyotas general modus operandi is to have a detachable harness which connected to the the speaker wire harness then goes to the amp and comes back from the amp to the head unit. You can choose to use the factory amp and the more complex harness coming out of it (Metra has an adaptor) or disconnect the harness going to the amp and use the simpler plug (which has only speaker and ILL and power wires) again with a Metra connector.
2. The pin out diagram really helped me. Here is a link https://pinoutguide.com/Car-Stereo-Toyota-Lexus/

Hope this helps.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank You

Although that pin out guide doesn't have Camry listed it does have a listing for highlanders with the JBL headunit
(edit : it's not the same)

I also found this video on YouTube that is helpful

Registered
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
The 2007 Toyota Camry Electrical Wiring Diagram is freely available as a PDF via Google Search. That will tell you more than plenty.

Registered
Thank You

Although that pin out guide doesn't have Camry listed it does have a listing for highlanders with the JBL headunit so here is hoping it is the same NAV Headunit. Fingers crossed

I also found this video on YouTube that is helpful

Yeah. Toyota for that era used mainly 2-3 types of connectors and pretty much similar across models like Camry, RAV4, Highlander etc. once you see your connector you should be able to identify it.

I also forgot to add..you can see a post started by me about a month back where I have images of the connectors and harnesses in my 2003 Camry. Might be helpful.

Registered
So I took a look at my wires and the simplest way forward I can see is that the Metra harness 70-1761 will basically connect to the white and blue cable at the bottom left of your encircled image. That should get your stereo going.

The two cylindrical connector wires in the center are the antenna. Which should go into the new HU (only the larger one). The remaining angles look to be a part of the JbL amp system which you can ant to bypass anyway.

Hope this helps

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thank You again however as far as I can tell I think , maybe , the 70-1761 is too small? Please look at the photo below. The harness you suggested in my photo above was the one for the steering wheel controls. And im not sure what that little blue one is.

After combing through some YouTube videos this appears to be the main power , accessory , illumination , ground , plug. The problem is there is more than four wires.

Somewhere else said the blue and yellow is likely 12v + Battery Power , The Brown is The Ground , Gray might be accessory and green is illumination. The problem there is that there's more than 1 gray and more than 1 green on this harness 馃う

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SUCCESS!

And I did not use the metra harness. But thanks for the help none the less.
Nor did I use the ASCW-1 for steering controls.

So I cut that harness in the previous post and bought a lil 12v battery tester with two probes from home depot and followed the directions in the YouTube vid I posted in my 3rd post.

It turns out that 9! Of the wires were dead to testing. Maybe they were speaker wires for the old shitty stock JBL system 馃挬

Blue and yellow=12v Constant Battery Power
Brown is The Ground
Gray is the Ignition / Accessory
Green with Silver marks is illumination/dim

Also in regards to steering controls
I did use the metra 70-8114 but I gutted it and rewired the the two wires next to the black ground pin to the end of the 3.5mm SWC or W/R jack.

When you buy this metra piece the jack will be in the harness , carefully pull the pins of it out of the harness , snip and wore the red to one wore and the white to the other wire that is gargling next to the black ground pin. There's also the black little harness at the end that would go into the ASWC-1 control everyone recommends but it's a waste if money. Yank that little black harness out and then look at my pic to see what my rewired 70-8114 looks like.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts