Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Short story: failure of 33 month old Toyota battery left me stranded ...... and about zero warranty. Get a WalMart battery with more cold crank amps and 36 month replacement warranty.

Explanation: Thought I'd give you a heads up about toyota replacement batteries. I just had a bizarre experience with my 2GR-FE V6 Camry same engine and battery as Gen 3 Avalon.

On August 31, 2011 I did a pre-emptive strike and replaced my battery at age 40 months despite the fact it tested out fine. I just wanted to make certain I was taking no chance of ever getting stranded with a dead battery. So, at the regular 40K serivce interval at the dealer, I had them put in their "premium" 84 month TruStart battery at $120 installed.

Well .......... guess what. With zero warning and for no apparent reason ....... at 33 months, I got the famous "click click click" ..........meaning there's juice in the battery but not enough to turn the starter and start the engine. After getting a "jump" ...... I drove to the dealer and they did a "load test" .. on the battery ......... which it completely failed so they replaced it immediatly under warranty.

Then the kick in the pants: After the two year replacement period, the "pro-rata" adjustment is not pro-rata and I was given a bill for $80.

Walmart is 7 minutes from my house ... the dealer is 40 minutes further. Walmart Everstart batteries are $15 cheaper, have significantly more cold crank amps and a 3 year free replacement warranty .... and are rated tops by consumerreports.org.

Lesson learned: I'll be replacing my "new" battery in three years at Walmart.

Full story here:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/104-5th-6th-generation-2002-2006-2007-2011/796370-warning-toyota-replacement-battery-bad-experience-worthless-warranty.html

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Paul:

My wife's '06 Avalon factory battery lasted about 4 yrs. My '04 Tacoma baseline was 7 yrs. old when I decided to replace it "just in case". Who knows how much longer it might have lasted. The difference between these 2 vehicles is the maze of current-draining gadgetry.

Like you, I went to a Toyota dealer and got one of their "True Start" 84 month replacement batteries. It was dead in less than a year. Took it back and got a new one for no charge because it died in less than 2 yrs. That one died 17 months later. Took it back and got another. We will see how long this one lasts.

I've noticed that a lot of Walmart's batteries say "mfg'd by Panasonic". I realize that all battery mfg's make different quality batteries, but was impressed to see that they were made by a company known for good batteries.

I seriously doubt this latest True Start will last 84 months, especially with all of the current-draining gadgetry in our '06 Avalon. When it does die, I'm off to Walmart. Will that battery last any longer? Who knows, but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay Toyota top $$$ for a substandard battery.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The 7 year old battery was still working when i replaced it last month on my Avalon. I was so impressed with this battery that i wanted another one. I called the Toyota dealer and talked to the parts guy who informed me that a new one will not be exactly the same battery that came from the factory. after lookin around and even considering a "red top" battery, I went with a Everstart for the same reasons above. I usually go with Interstate but their batteries have failed me lately on family members cars and the store is across town. Im happy withe the 24-F from wallys. most batteries are made from only a couple of distributors.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The 7 year old battery was still working when i replaced it last month on my Avalon. I was so impressed with this battery that i wanted another one. I called the Toyota dealer and talked to the parts guy who informed me that a new one will not be exactly the same battery that came from the factory. after lookin around and even considering a "red top" battery, I went with a Everstart for the same reasons above. I usually go with Interstate but their batteries have failed me lately on family members cars and the store is across town. Im happy withe the 24-F from wallys. most batteries are made from only a couple of distributors.
WOW - that says ALOT

Paul:

My wife's '06 Avalon factory battery lasted about 4 yrs. My '04 Tacoma baseline was 7 yrs. old when I decided to replace it "just in case". Who knows how much longer it might have lasted. The difference between these 2 vehicles is the maze of current-draining gadgetry.

Like you, I went to a Toyota dealer and got one of their "True Start" 84 month replacement batteries. It was dead in less than a year. Took it back and got a new one for no charge because it died in less than 2 yrs. That one died 17 months later. Took it back and got another. We will see how long this one lasts.

I've noticed that a lot of Walmart's batteries say "mfg'd by Panasonic". I realize that all battery mfg's make different quality batteries, but was impressed to see that they were made by a company known for good batteries.

I seriously doubt this latest True Start will last 84 months, especially with all of the current-draining gadgetry in our '06 Avalon. When it does die, I'm off to Walmart. Will that battery last any longer? Who knows, but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay Toyota top $$$ for a substandard battery.
Well intersting. Three premature dead batteries !!!

Obiously my situitaion is not one of those "one in a million" chances ....... and there seems to be a reason for it.

Thanks guys for chiming in. This is the first time I've been disappointed by the performance of Toyota/Lexus cars or parts since the family started driving them in 1991.

Geez ........ I'm glad Toyota doesn't skimp on the quality of their oil filters !!!!!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't have experience with Toyota batteries yet(though one is in my avalon i just got), but I had an old Nissan pickup truck with an everstart battery. That battery went through a lot with the truck having issues with the starter, fuses, and bad terminal connections. It should have messed up long ago, but it went for years. It kept dieing over and over from these other problems(mainly bad terminals). It finally did get a bad cell in it, but that battery was tough. I give props to the Everstart batteries.

Last battery I got was from Autozone. I got a 3 yr for the price of a 2 yr. It's in my 07 Sienna. We will see how long that lasts.

·
907 Posts
I will buy another Diehard Platinum when it's time to replace my battery. I have bought 2 in the past and they have performed flawlessly. I put the first one in my 02 Maxima that now belongs to my Niece in Utah. It has been through 2 winters out there. I have one in my 06 Frontier that I installed in November 2008 and 77,000 miles ago. The are manufactured by Enersys. They make the Odyssey battery.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just sold my 07 Avalon which had 84k miles on it. The battery was original and so were the brakes. I purchased the car new in Oct. of 06. The only thing that I had done other than regular oil changes was a coolant flush. I knew I was going to have to spend some money on it soon so I bought a Ford XLT Crewcab truck. So far I'm loving this truck.

·
Official PITA
496 Posts
Costco battery warranty is even better
- Since Costco will allow you to return *anything*, at any time, so long as you have the receipt.
Battery dies after 9 years - you can return it.

·
Official PITA
496 Posts
>> Know anyone that has returned one?

The man in the mirror - me.
However, battery was 72 month (or 84 month - I forget) & got a free exchange at around 48 months -- noticed lights dimmed at idle.
BTW-- New (exchange) battery had full 72 month warranty.
Never went any further, and sold car at age 11.
-- Should have put that "old" battery in the newer Avalon, but didn't think it through.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Went outside awhile ago to run an errand in my '04 Tacoma baseline 2.4 liter. Turn the key - nothing. Headlights don't work. Open Circuit Voltage reads 12.85v which is good but says nothing about load capability. I have no load tester and since the headlights were dead I decided to pull the battery and head to Wal-Mart. Their batteries are made by Johnson Controls - not that it means anything. Johnson likely builds their batteries in China.

The battery in the truck was a 4 yr. old Toyota True Start. Considering this vehicle has no battery-draining memories and I don't live in 4 ft. of snow 6 months out of the year, I would have expected more. Got over 6 years of service on the original factory battery and it was not dead when I replaced it. Just decided to do so because of its age.

This is now the 3rd True Start battery that's died well before its time in the last 3 or so years. The wifes '06 Avalon is on its 3rd True Start. The first 2 died way too soon.

No more Toyota True Starts for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just put my 5th battery in my 7.5 yr. old Toyota RAV4 4 today. I keep getting them because they are free replacement. In the Spring I think I will go to Walmart or Carquest and get a good one. The Toyotas go out with no notice. Very disappointed in Toyota- will not buy another one.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just put my 5th battery in my 7.5 yr. old Toyota RAV4 4 today. I keep getting them because they are free replacement. In the Spring I think I will go to Walmart or Carquest and get a good one. The Toyotas go out with no notice. Very disappointed in Toyota- will not buy another one.
Dealer just replaced mine again at no charge after 16.5 months.

Great dealer service ..... not so great Toyota quality on Tru-Start replacement batteries.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Crazy to see it go so soon! I work at an interstate batteries retail store and in my opinion id highly suggest not going to walmart or fleetfarm/costco for batteries. The reason being is that people bring them in after one year , theyve failed and even though theyre under warranty, they want an interstate put in. Costco does sell an interstate branded battery but dont be fooled, its not an actual interstate battery. Its the lowest grade you can get and will likely not last the amount of time a legit interstate would. They cost a bit more but pay it, its worth it in time and money when one leaves you dead.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Costco does sell an interstate branded battery but dont be fooled, its not an actual interstate battery. Its the lowest grade you can get and will likely not last the amount of time a legit interstate would.
I bought one of those - $79.00 - 3 yr. free replacement. Costco does not test batteries when they are returned. That's what I was told at my Costco.

So...assuming mine is alive after 2 yr and 11 months, it's going back. I'll get another. If it makes it 3 yrs. I got 6 yrs. of battery life for $79 - not bad.

I've had every brand imaginable and some were good; others weren't.

Batteries are the lick of the draw.

As mentioned above, the dealer TrueStart batteries are pure junk.

·
Registered
510 Posts
All of my Toyota OEM batteries have lasted 5-7 years. I replace them with Autozone or AAP gold top which have a 3 year 100% warranty but usually last 5 years.

With all batteries I do 2 things:

1. Every year pop the caps and add distilled water (even on the "maintenance free")
2. On the replacement ones I trickle charge them to full charge for 4-8 hours before initial installation.

Note: I buy them from an auto parts store because they have a higher turnover of stock and the batteries are usually within 3-5 weeks of manufacture. They come with a "made on" date sticker.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought 84 Month Toyota True Start Battery 8/12 for an RX300 Lexus. The battery was sold and installed by the local Toyota dealer (We don't have a Lexus dealer in our area. The battery tested bad 3 years and 3 months later. I went back to the same Toyota dealer (Different owner now) and was told Toyota does not honor warranty on their batteries installed in Lexus'. They offered to order a new battery from Lexus, which I could buy at full price with no prorated credit for my 84 month battery. This explanation did not make any sense, so I thought I would post this for comments.

It is bad enough for the battery to perform poorly as indicated in the posts in this thread. It is another to out-of-hand say that there is not warranty at all because the vehicle in which they installed the battery was a Lexus and not a toyota.

I bought a 5 year (3 year replacement) Everstart 24-F battery at Walmart to avoid additional nonsense.

I am however, still interested to see if anyone else has heard of such a policy from Toyota.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
About this Discussion
37 Replies
22 Participants
Motorhead777
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing