Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking to make an extra copy of the key, so we can keep a spare at home since both of us are carrying the other two.

From what I read up on, Toyota usually charges a lot, so my best bet would be to buy an OEM key online and get it cut and programmed at a locksmith that has the proper equipment.(?)

Am I right that I'll have to buy a HYQ12BEL key? Unlike some of the pictures online, the back of my key does not have the FCC ID, IC, or Model listed.

Also, side question, are all H keys made the same? Like if I end up getting a Fobless H key instead, do I need a specific one, or am I safe just getting a blank OEM H key? They seem to be littered around ebay.

·
6,468 Posts
If you want a FOB less H hey that will work just fine.
You can use Techstream (what the dealer uses) to program your new key.
It's pretty easy if you have some basic computer skills.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so looked into it more, looks like those diagnostic cables are easy to come by.

I saw a couple videos, one of someone using techstream to program a 2016 Rav that has keyless entry or whatever it is where you don't put the key in the ignition. And another video of the fob+key being paired with a car.

so I'm assuming unless there's a new limitation with the 2017 cars, I should just be able to buy a fob key, get it cut, then pair it with this software

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ordered the cable and a blank H key for now, If I manage to get it paired properly maybe I'll buy a Fob key in the future.
Interested to see what all I can poke around with on techstream though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Literally ANYTHING a dealer can do!!! :)
It's the dealer software so :)
Lol true, meant more like what specific features, cuz I don't see any thing on the googles relating to this car and techstream.

Also, I just read this on the 4runner forum, anyone have more info about this sort of thing?
Anyone have issues with programmed keys that stopped working 2 weeks after programming? I successfully programmed two sets of keys, all worked great for 2 weeks and now none of the keys work, even the original master. The car is dead in the water. The dealer (not Toyota) where I bought it told me that it is a security feature that after two weeks the system shuts down without a code from the dealer. Views it as a stolen car.

·
6,468 Posts
ROFL that dealer is full of BS
No clue what happened but I have NEVER heard of that or seen that in Techstream...

As for what you can do with this car? Litterally almost anything
Here is a SMALL List of what it can do.
These are just custom features in the car. It also has a TON of troubleshooting and diagnostics WAY beyond a simple check engine light code reader.

Doors / Windows / Remote:

Blink turn signals when locking/unlocking with remote
YES / NO

Re-lock doors automatically if you unlock, but don't open a door within…
30 SECONDS / 60 SECONDS / 120 SECONDS

Instruments / Display / Dings:

Ding when headlights are left on
YES / NO

Seat belt warning ding (driver)
ENABLED / DISABLED

Seat belt warning ding (front passenger)
ENABLED / DISABLED

Lights:

Dim interior lights after…
7 SECONDS / 15 SECONDS / 30 SECONDS

Turn on interior lights when you shut off engine
YES / NO

Turn on interior lights when you unlock doors
YES / NO

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Key and cable came in today.

Got the blank cut at the local locksmith for a little over $4 USD, key turns in the door and ignition just like the original.

Had XP in a virtual machine and got Techstream up and running.

Programming the H key was also no issue, car starts no problem.

Interestingly though, there were a few customization settings that weren't available in my car that have been widely available on older cars, like holding down the button on the fob to roll all the windows down.
Can't remember the other stuff I didn't see off my head.

Mission accomplished though!

·
Registered
72 Posts
The Key and cable came in today.

Got the blank cut at the local locksmith for a little over $4 USD, key turns in the door and ignition just like the original.

Had XP in a virtual machine and got Techstream up and running.

Programming the H key was also no issue, car starts no problem.

Interestingly though, there were a few customization settings that weren't available in my car that have been widely available on older cars, like holding down the button on the fob to roll all the windows down.

Can't remember the other stuff I didn't see off my head.

Mission accomplished though!

Where did you buy the Techstream from? Any links to download the software?

·
6,468 Posts
Where did you buy the Techstream from? Any links to download the software?
Because unless you pay $1200+ per YEAR for Techstream, it's pirated.
And we can't allow links or mentions of where to purchase pirated software.
BUT if you look on several LARGE online retailers, I'm sure you will find it ;)

·
6,468 Posts
You can find them much cheaper if you look I paid less then $35 for mine.
We can not talk about where to find pirated software here but you can find several places if you look :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts