Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The factory installed class 4 hitch on my 06 TRD Sport is getting pretty rusty and flaky. Although I'm no longer towing every month, now only a few times per year, the overall condition of the hitch has me concerned. It's at the point where I want to replace it and not have to worry. Driving a vehicle is dangerous enough these days, let alone towing something.

Toyota part # 51908-04010 is the factory installed hitch. I about fell over when I saw how much is it. About $1000 with tax and shipping. Then I found out about a dealer installer class 3 hitch, part number PT791-04050, which is MUCH cheaper. However I do not want to lower towing capacity/safety by removing my class 4 hitch and installing a class 3.

I am not interested in aftermarket hitches. I only want a Toyota factory-installed class 4 replacement hitch. If you know where I could get one either new or used in VERY good condition, please let me know. The price on partsourq.com for a new one is good but they don't have any in stock nor can they get one.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Expensive? You aren't kidding. I searched the part number on the online dealer I like, and it's $970.47 before tax and shipping. It says the list price is $1,323.15. The Class III hitch is $286.70, down from $335.00. Part number PT791-04050.

·
13,393 Posts
These are the two options that show a factory installed trailer hitch on www.car-part.com under Trailer Hitch/Tow Hook/Winch.

Pre Runner & base model; Crew Cab & Ext Cab; 2WD W/PRERUNNER, 4WD LONG WHEEL BASE; factory installed

Pre Runner & base model; Crew Cab; EXTRA LONG WHEEL BASE; factory installed

What area are you located? How badly are the fasteners rusted? Have you tried taking them off or are they rusted on there?

This one in California fer $125 has some good potential since it's not in the rust belt. ;)
Trailer Hitch
Toyota Tacoma
A​
7L1594
$125​
Bauer's Auto Wrecking USA-CA(Fresno) Request_Quote 1-800-678-9046

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Okay, maybe here's your answer - I searched the Toyota part number on eBay, and I got several hits on used ones, generally around $350. But shipping is expensive (because of weight?); from $125 to $155:

There is one that's listed for $439.20 with free shipping. That's probably the best deal:

It looks like it was rusty, so the seller bead blasted it, and repainted it.

Is the part number stamped on it somewhere, or how can you easily tell a Class IV from a Class III?

Good luck!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the part number stamped on it somewhere, or how can you easily tell a Class IV from a Class III?
I saw them on eBay but after looking through some of the pics, they have some visible damage - like a bent 7 pin mounting plate. It makes me wonder if anything else is bent, especially if the vehicle was hit in the rear.

That one hitch which looks repainted (I agree) is an aftermarket, likely a Reese.

The major difference between a Toyota class 3 and 4 hitch is that the class 3 is actually multiple pieces that bolts together. Whereas the class 4 is all one, welded piece.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Maybe see about the one that's on the wrecked Tacoma. Ask them to send you pictures of it. Sorry I missed the ID on the aftermarket one (derp). The ones on car-part.com are going to be a crapshoot.

·
Premium Member
13,956 Posts
I also would not judge the receiver by the condition of the 7 pin mount. Those were known to bend/break because of where Toyota chose to mount them. Back into or over a snow berm (on purpose to avoid damaging the front end body panels) and it would get broken off. Many of us (I did mine preemptively) moved it into the bumper (mine’s where the left license plate light used to be).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
lastgear
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing