Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Toyota Solara. After years of carefully storing my spare key in a safe place, I misplaced it after a run to the mechanics.

I found keylessride.com as a source for a replacement for the fob and key. Is this a good source? Is there better?

Do I really need a key from them? The keys are $18 and they claim about another $25 for cutting an programming.

My original key has a black plastic piece on the place you hold the key. I would assume this contains the chip. But I also have a valet key. It has no such plastic piece and no chip to be seen. I used it to start the car with the original key far from my car.

The only difference between the valet key and the regular key is the valet key does not open the trunk, which does not make any sense because you can just pop the trunk from the trunk release. But the center console and glove also cannot be unlocked.

Can I just get my hardware store to cut a key?

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
dude, just get the new key from ebay at $14.99 shipped and cut it for free at dealer for free (based on your VIN, they can't charge you if you bring your own blank key) or at Home Depot (they make a free copy of what you got if you bring own blank key):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-0...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
it looks like real original (with transponder)

this key has a blank transponder in it, don't worry about it. if you had an immobilizer you can program it, if you don't than just ignore it.

new key fob you get from ebay too, if your alarm was dealer installed option (not factory) then your key fob is bab237131-022 (GRAY, not black), usually at no more than $40 shipped :
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=bab237131-022&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

programming instructions will be usually send together with it (check with seller), it requires removing the center arm rest console as the alarm ECU is below it. you will need to unbolt it (don't unplug anything) and press the green button on it to enter programming mode and add new key fob by pressing the top button on it.

have fun :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
dude, just get the new key from ebay at $14.99 shipped and cut it for free at dealer for free (based on your VIN, they can't charge you if you bring your own blank key) or at Home Depot (they make a free copy of what you got if you bring own blank key):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-00-01-02-TOYOTA-AVALON-4RUNNER-PRIUS-SOLARA-CHIP-KEY-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZMakeQ3aToyotaQ7cModelQ3aSolaraQ7cYearQ3a2002QQhashZitem53e3204724QQitemZ360292828964QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
it looks like real original (with transponder)

this key has a blank transponder in it, don't worry about it. if you had an immobilizer you can program it, if you don't than just ignore it.

new key fob you get from ebay too, if your alarm was dealer installed option (not factory) then your key fob is bab237131-022 (GRAY, not black), usually at no more than $40 shipped :
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=bab237131-022&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

programming instructions will be usually send together with it (check with seller), it requires removing the center arm rest console as the alarm ECU is below it. you will need to unbolt it (don't unplug anything) and press the green button on it to enter programming mode and add new key fob by pressing the top button on it.

have fun :)

Thanks for the info. Why does the valet key work? It does not appear to have a transponder.

What about this remote?

It's brand new but should it work?

Why can't the dealer charge you? Some kind of agreement?

BTW my key is black but that is the FCC ID.

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
Thanks for the info. Why does the valet key work? It does not appear to have a transponder.

What about
this remote?

It's brand new but should it work?

Why can't the dealer charge you? Some kind of agreement?

BTW my key is black but that is the FCC ID.
valet key works because your system is not equipped with an immobilizer at all. i sent you a link to key with transponder, because it looks nice (black cap with a toyota logo on it). much better than bare metal thing you get from HD at like $15...

dealer can't charge you if you bring own blank key, because their system allows charging ONLY if they sell their own key ($55).

if the key fob of yours looks like the one in ebay auction you posted, then you have a different alarm system than dealer installed Toyota V.I.P. RS3000 (by Fujitsu-Ten Corp.). that auction shows something different, it most likely won't work if you have RS3000 system.

if your key fob looks like the ones i posted then match the color of key fob with whatever you got (either black or gray), because they cannot be mixed, they are different internally despite same FCC ID.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
valet key works because your system is not equipped with an immobilizer at all. i sent you a link to key with transponder, because it looks nice (black cap with a toyota logo on it). much better than bare metal thing you get from HD at like $15...

dealer can't charge you if you bring own blank key, because their system allows charging ONLY if they sell their own key ($55).

if the key fob of yours looks like the one in ebay auction you posted, then you have a different alarm system than dealer installed Toyota V.I.P. RS3000 (by Fujitsu-Ten Corp.). that auction shows something different, it most likely won't work if you have RS3000 system.

if your key fob looks like the ones i posted then match the color of key fob with whatever you got (either black or gray), because they cannot be mixed, they are different internally despite same FCC ID.
Yes my key FOB looks like the one you posted. But if you look down lower on the ad, they have the old key (which looks like mine) and the new improved key (the one at the top of the ad). But the ad lists Solara SE and all I have is a Solara. I guess I could cal them on Monday to be sure.

And the the company you included for the key also has a FOB.

Oh can the hardware store cut it? It would be easier getting there.

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
yes all hardware stores will cut even Home Depot or so and they will aslo do it for free as they do not sell you blank only cut your own one ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts