Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
According to my local locksmith, my worn out 2001 key contains a "chip", that must be programmed for an additional $30.00, $67.00 total for key. Dealer is $45 + $65 to program.

However I just wrapped my good key in foil and tested it. I worked perfectly. There are no electronic contacts on these old keys.
So I'm an electronics engineer questioning if this key actually has a chip or not. I'm thinking not.

Any comments appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We got an extra key with our highlander, it fits, and turns the engine over but will not start the car, My guess is that there is a chip. We do have a 2001

·
Registered
Highlander(s)
1,005 Posts
I think it's for the ones that have the security/engine immobilizer system.

·
Registered
2004 highlander v6 and 2019 Hybrid Rav 4 xle
823 Posts
my base 04 highlander , locksmith told me same thing, but I bought a metal key from ace hardware for $2 and it works fine, so no chip

·
Registered
823 Posts
According to my local locksmith, my worn out 2001 key contains a "chip", that must be programmed for an additional $30.00, $67.00 total for key. Dealer is $45 + $65 to program.

However I just wrapped my good key in foil and tested it. I worked perfectly. There are no electronic contacts on these old keys.
So I'm an electronics engineer questioning if this key actually has a chip or not. I'm thinking not.

Any comments appreciated.

what was reason for the foil wrap?

·
Registered
2001 HL AWD V6
37 Posts
My local shop would not make a key for my 2001. Said it is the only year he cannot program. I had to go to the stealership to get the key. Mine definitely has a chip.

·
Toyota Fanatic
1,145 Posts
My local shop would not make a key for my 2001. Said it is the only year he cannot program. I had to go to the stealership to get the key. Mine definitely has a chip.
Did he say any particular reason? I'm curious now. I was able to program my '01 with techstream with no issues....

·
Registered
2001 HL AWD V6
37 Posts
I have no idea why they could not do it. They are a reputable shop who have been in business for years. I had to go to the dealership to get a key.
Chas

·
Banned
500 Posts
2 different types: keys without chip (no engine immobilizer system) and keys with transponder chip (has engine immobilizer system).

From pages 12-13 in manual http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM48432U/pdf/1-2.pdf

The engine immobilizer system is a theft prevention system. When you insert the key in the ignition switch, the transponder chip in the key’s head transmits an electronic code to the vehicle. The engine will start, only when the electronic code in the chip corresponds to the registered ID code for the vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The transponder system was optional on that year Highlander. The BEST way to tell is look for a flashing red theft light. If there is one, then the car uses a transponder. The light will go out when the programmed key is inserted (does not have to be turned).

On late 90's to early 2000's Toyotas with transponders, don't lose the last key. There is a good chance the ECU will need to be pulled and either replaced (comes with 2 programmed but uncut keys) or "reflashed" by a locksmith that does "eeprom" work. Either way it is an costly job. Much cheaper to get your last key cloned, or if it is a "master", add a new one with the OBP.

·
Registered
823 Posts
you wonder about the valve of having these complicated anti theft systems, cure is worse than the disease. never had a car stolen on cars with regular keys

·
Toyota Fanatic
1,145 Posts
The transponder system was optional on that year Highlander. The BEST way to tell is look for a flashing red theft light. If there is one, then the car uses a transponder. The light will go out when the programmed key is inserted (does not have to be turned).

On late 90's to early 2000's Toyotas with transponders, don't lose the last key. There is a good chance the ECU will need to be pulled and either replaced (comes with 2 programmed but uncut keys) or "reflashed" by a locksmith that does "eeprom" work. Either way it is an costly job. Much cheaper to get your last key cloned, or if it is a "master", add a new one with the OBP.
+1, had this happen on a Lexus where we lost the only master key, on top of having to have it towed to the dealer it would cost $1000 for only one key. A private mobile locksmith was able to do it at a fraction of the cost but still a hefty dent in the wallet. Don't wait until the last minute to copy your master key!

you wonder about the valve of having these complicated anti theft systems, cure is worse than the disease. never had a car stolen on cars with regular keys
I guess it's location dependent, not sure on your area but older cars especially Camry's and Corolla's without immobilizers are huge targets where I am.

·
Duck
24 Posts
It is optional (same case with Camry, RAV4, and 4Runner of the year). The interesting thing is, if you take off the steering column cover on one that doesn't have it, the wiring harness and plug for the transponder module is still there, but nothing is plugged in XD

There's no immobilizer light for 01 HL, only one for factory alarm.

·
Registered
2003 Highlander
721 Posts
If your Toyota have a blinking red light on the dash that showing your Toyota have a chip.

Here is a great cheat. You are down to just one key with the chip in the fob. You need to have another key but can't or won't pay the big $ for another chipped key. Here is how to get around that. Simply salvage the chip from the key you have. Carefully rescue it from the plastic fob or just cut the fob off without damaging the chip. Now tape or otherwise secure the chip somewhere near the ignition (on the steering column) so the car "thinks" the chip is on the key. Then just have regular keys made. As many as you need. They will all work with no chip 'cause you have fooled the system with the one old chip......

Good luck, Haya....:grin:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts