Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My original key/fob cracked open and the metal key blade now falls out unless I'm very careful to squeeze it together while starting the car. I bought 2 blank replacement keys with chip online, hoping to program them myself and have cut at a locksmith rather than pay the dealership price of nearly $200 each key.

However I havent found how to program the keys for the 2011+ tc (mine is a 2012).

The ~2010 models can be done by inserting original key 5x then open/close drivers door 6x to prompt the car to program mode for new keys. But this didnt work for me and I havent heard of a method for newer tc models.

Any help is appreciated.

·
2,667 Posts
The key will have to be programmed with a scan tool, but there are many locksmiths that can accomplish that as long as you still have the guts and case for the original key. the immobilizer chip is molded into the plastic key head.

The method you're talking about for the "older" keys will not program the immobilizer function for a key, only the keyless entry functions. The immobilizer still needs to be programmed via a scan tool.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts