Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you know if they have a metal version of the oil filter cap housing? I hate this plastic one that's on my 15 corolla and would love to replace it with a metal one. I've googled it, ebayed it, and couldn't find one. Is there one that is compatible with 2015 Corolla?

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
9,475 Posts
Might want to convert it to a spin on filter.

·
Registered
2015 Camry SE
327 Posts
Do any of you know if they have a metal version of the oil filter cap housing? I hate this plastic one that's on my 15 corolla and would love to replace it with a metal one. I've googled it, ebayed it, and couldn't find one. Is there one that is compatible with 2015 Corolla?
I have a 2015 Camry with a 2.5 four cyl. engine. I replaced the plastic housing with the metal one. If the Corolla uses the same parts the P/N of the aluminum one is 15620-31060. It's a direct replacement for the plastic P/N 165620-36020. Both are Toyota parts from the dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 2015 Camry with a 2.5 four cyl. engine. I replaced the plastic housing with the metal one. If the Corolla uses the same parts the P/N of the aluminum one is 15620-31060. It's a direct replacement for the plastic P/N 165620-36020. Both are Toyota parts from the dealer.
I saw that part too, but was unsure if it was the same specs as 15620-37010, which is the plastic one on my car

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,837 Posts
The down side to a metal one is that they get hot as can be so when you need to take it off with a hot engine be careful. I've never had any issues with a plastic oil cap.

·
Registered
133 Posts
How ironic.... I just changed my oil about 2 hours ago and replaced my OEM plastic filter cap with a metal replacement assembly that I had sourced last year. I needed to perform a fit/function verification check, before I published the parts numbers. It took a bit of research to find a compatible part. Due to the pandemic, it took longer than I expected because I didn't put enough miles on my car to justify an oil change. So..... I've attached the Toyota/Scion part numbers of the (3) metal filter housing parts.
Some background. This filter cap assembly is from a 2105 Sion IQ, 1.3L engine. The filter on this engine is mounted vertically and therefore the cap has a removable drain cap. Since the Corolla 1.8L filter is mounted horizontally, this drain cap has no value. The cap design is identical to it's plastic cousin, with the exception of the drain plug. I opted to permanently seal the drain cap threads on my cap using JB Weld. I didn't experience any initial short term fit/leak issues with the Scion filter cap assembly. I'm expecting the same results long term. The parts came to around $22 vs. $120 for the cartridge filter to canister filter conversion. I buy cartridge filters by the case (Denso $3 ea.), so this change made more sense to me.
The usual disclaimer applies: Perform this mod at your own risk.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Might want to convert it to a spin on filter.
That is what i did on my first oil change. i really hate working with the cartridge filter setup. if i knew a replacement for the rav4 and highlander, i'd ditch the cartridge setup on those too.
i've had the drain plug cap not come off and spin the whole filter assembly off instead.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is what i did on my first oil change. i really hate working with the cartridge filter setup. if i knew a replacement for the rav4 and highlander, i'd ditch the cartridge setup on those too.
i've had the drain plug cap not come off and spin the whole filter assembly off instead.
I prefer the element filter over spinon because it's easier to check for metal shavings in the plies of the filter. No need to cut off metal housing if the spin on.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I prefer the element filter over spinon because it's easier to check for metal shavings in the plies of the filter. No need to cut off metal housing if the spin on.
Makes since. i just don't know why the element filter is so much more expensive than the spin on. i use Wix XP filters and it boggles me the difference in cost.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,837 Posts
I just use a magnetic drain plug since that is the easiest way to see any metal. I swapped from the cartridge style to a spin on style because it's easier to add a sandwich adapter for an oil cooler. With the cartridge type there was no way to do that.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I just use a magnetic drain plug since that is the easiest way to see any metal. I swapped from the cartridge style to a spin on style because it's easier to add a sandwich adapter for an oil cooler. With the cartridge type there was no way to do that. View attachment 329398
Super do you have a cooler and bypass filter setup on your iM? be interested in seeing how you set that one up.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,837 Posts
Super do you have a cooler and bypass filter setup on your iM? be interested in seeing how you set that one up.
I'm planning it on my 2009 Corolla S Turbo. I've got the oil cooler test mounted and everything else but I'm trying to figure out if I want to relocate the oil filter or not. I'm getting close to figuring out what I want to do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts