Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a car I'm interested in buying - a '94 Camry with 243,336 miles on it. Although it is priced high, the price is negotiable, and based on KBB I probably wouldn't pay more than $1500 for it.

The owner says that it is leaking oil, and that a car shop told him the front and rear cam seals need to be replaced. Is this a big/expensive job? And would the car's condition (having that many miles) even be worth getting the work done?

·
Toyota Collector
12,019 Posts
A car with that high mileage is a potential money pit. If the car was maintained properly, then it's worth a look otherwise find one with half that mileage. As for the cam seals, you're basically looking at a timing belt job.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
If you cant do the work yourself (its a timing belt job) then dont buy a car with over 100k miles. It'll bite you in the ass real quick.

Full timing belt job with oil seals is 500$ minimum, ~700 on average.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
I'm guessing it has the V6. If you can do this yourself, changing the valve cover gaskets would also be a good thing to do. Changing the cam seals would be much easier too because you can remove the cam seal caps instead of prying out the seal.

At 1500 I would expect the condition of the car to be pretty good.

·
イリジウム
13,546 Posts
Is this a V6?

V6 has two banks (left and right, but some call front and rear banks). If this is an I4 then there is no front/rear cam seals. These are fine, as mentioned, just a timing belt job $500+. However, if it's the front and rear crank seals then the engine has to be pulled. And that's $$$.

The I4 also likes to leak from the oil pump as well, so don't just settle for the cam seals explanation. The pump o-ring and shaft seal, plus potentially a new rotor shaft isn't too bad however.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i have a 93 camry and have been diagnosed with a rear main seal leak as well as a loose tie rod and a leak from the timing case. for all 3 my mechanic quoted me at around $1400 to fix. he's a little above average when it comes to price, but im trying to sell it now for $1000 and i almost feel like im asking for too much for it.

·
イリジウム
13,546 Posts
Outer tie rod is easy to replace. Inner tie rod is more involved. But the rear main seal requires either the engine be pulled. Maybe Lucas stop leak can help, it's a lot cheaper. There are garages willing to pull I4 engines for $600, the kind that swap in junkyard engines do it all the time.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
i have a 93 camry and have been diagnosed with a rear main seal leak as well as a loose tie rod and a leak from the timing case. for all 3 my mechanic quoted me at around $1400 to fix. he's a little above average when it comes to price, but im trying to sell it now for $1000 and i almost feel like im asking for too much for it.
How bads the leak? Usually 20w50 will slow it down enough that its acceptable.

Also, lucas is a great idea. First try out the 20w50 and then add a quart of lucas if its still leaking alot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts