Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
01 Corolla CE white
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only found two threads on the topic here, and neither moved beyond an original post.

I want to replace my door hinge pins on my driver side door. Door doesn't close properly and everything I have seen on the interweb says the hinge pins need replacing.

My problem is that the Corolla (2001) hinge pins look different than all of the youtube video hinge pins on OTHER car models. I did not find one on a Corolla.
The hinge pins on the Corolla look like they were stamped in place. I don't know much about such things, but I have to think that is unlikely, that either the top or bottom flange on the pin is meant to be pulled off in some way. Or maybe I just need to cut the pin in the middle and let both halves drop away, perhaps with the help of a punch/drift. I have the new pins and they use a nut on one side.
Unfortunately, I don't have any neat power tools that could conveniently saw the hinge pins in two.

So I am left to begging for help from somebody that knows more about this than I do. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,942 Posts
Found this YouTube video. It's for a Ford bronco, but the pin was cut in half after the hinge bolts we're removed and pulled away from the door. The bushings should be installed from the bottom. Hope this helps.

https://youtu.be/ftDQxGP0G2Y

·
Senior TN Member
Porsche
7,508 Posts
Post photo of what you've got?

Seems serviceability has gone by wayside with increasing move towards quicker and cheaper production methods.

Appears if you unbolt hinge from door & body of car, you can clamp in vise and hacksaw pin and remove.
Then you can get replacement bushing & bolt kit.
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008ZCFBUO/[/ame]

·
Registered
01 Corolla CE white
61 Posts
Found this YouTube video. It's for a Ford bronco, but the pin was cut in half after the hinge bolts we're removed and pulled away from the door. The bushings should be installed from the bottom. Hope this helps.

https://youtu.be/ftDQxGP0G2Y
Thank you. Good job! I was gazing at it yesterday and figured unbolting the door hinge from the door (or the car) might work best. After that, I MIGHT be able to get the short blade from my cheapo jigsaw in there, else I will just wrap a hacksaw blade in a towel and tediously saw through it that way. I am encouraged with how easily the pins came out through the bushings after the guy in the video cut them. I expect/hope putting the pins through the new bushings should be more work, but I see the need for snugness. I will have the time & weather in about two weeks so I will report back.

Does the play in the hinges allow you to rock the door up and down and feel the motion?
I also wiggled the door yesterday with that same question but did not feel or see any. I hope I am chasing the right problem.

Seems serviceability has gone by wayside with increasing move towards quicker and cheaper production methods.

Appears if you unbolt hinge from door & body of car, you can clamp in vise and hacksaw pin and remove.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008ZCFBUO/
This is the first time I have tried posting a photo with a Chromebook. Will see how it goes.

View attachment 01_Corolla_upper_door_hinge.pdf

And I already purchased and received one door hinge pin kit (two pins, four bushings, and two locknuts) from Rockauto.com, the only kit they offered for USA built Corollas, from Dorman.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008ZCFBUO/
Duh. :) It finally dawned on me that you were suggesting a photo of my door issue, not the Corolla hinge which you are probably familiar with. I feel silly.

View attachment Door_ajar.pdf

It is the wind noise that bothers me the most.

And unbolting the hinge from the car & door entirely is an EXCELLENT idea if my jigsaw won't fit it there with just the door removed. I feel very hopeful.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,942 Posts
Let us know how it goes.

The hinge pin does take most of the weight of the doors. Should be done at least every few years to check on it. Replacement probably takes maybe 5-10 intervals? Maybe?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
If you can not demonstrate the issue by lifting and releasing the door and seeing the play in the hinges, they may not be your problem.
Hold the door open and lift it until it is not hanging on the car then let it down. Watch the pins and bushings for any separate movement where they meet and you think the wear is located. You can do this by sitting on the door sill and lifting the door with your legs, while watching where the hinges move for any play where the two parts meet. If there is play you need to replace the pins and bushings.

If the door is misaligned then you may have to either adjust it or "spring it" up to make it open and close properly. I used to do that with 2 2x4s. one placed lengthwise under the bottom inside edge of the door, the other used as a lever to put extra force lifting the door until when you release it, it shuts straight into the latch, instead of being raised or lowered by the latch.

·
Senior TN Member
Porsche
7,508 Posts
Does the play in the hinges allow you to rock the door up and down and feel the motion?
I also wiggled the door yesterday with that same question but did not feel or see any. I hope I am chasing the right problem.
From photo and descriptions, it does not appear your door-hinges are loose or worn. If so, you will have experienced some vertical door movement. I appears you have horizontal alignment issue of some sort when door's closed. Pointing towards door-striker or latch mechanism. Inspect door mating-surface on body and seal carefully, there may be something stuck in there that's holding door ajar.

If mechanism and entire sealing-surface is OK, striker-adjustment is final option. If striker doesn't have slotted hole to allow adjustment, you can always grind slot to adjust.

·
Registered
01 Corolla CE white
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually looked at that striker thing first several weeks ago. (I did not consider the pin bushings being worn until watching some youtube videos.) I loosened the striker screws and then tightened again after seeing that the plate was not going to move. So elongating the screw hole seems plausible. How might this have come to be? Does it point to an accident in the car's past or what? Or might there be some play in the hinge pin bushings but just not apparent to my untrained eye? Given this info, I will likely change the pins and then resort to elongating the striker plate holes. Thanks for broadening my options. I'll report back.

·
Senior TN Member
Porsche
7,508 Posts
When door's closed, hinge looseness would show up at front of door. Rear of door is located by striker and latch mechanism.

Look at edge of door, there should be some screw-heads visible that hold the latch. See if those holes are slotted to allow adjusting latch outwards a little bit.

·
Registered
01 Corolla CE white
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As I got out of the car today, with the door open, I grabbed the top corner (furthest from hinges) and lifted the door up and released several times. It did seem to wiggle. I will replace the hinges first and then see if the latch needs to be moved.

Thank you.

·
Registered
01 Corolla CE white
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today I had some time, so I swapped out the door hinge pins and bushings.

I unbolted the five bolts to remove the door & then set the door on a cardboard box
with a car cover on top of the box to cushion the door. I did not disconnect the door
speaker wires so I could not just set the door out of the way.

But there was enough room to cut the door hinges in half with my jigsaw.
I burned up two blades before having the thought that a bit of lubrication
might be a good idea. Finishing off the first hinge pin and also the complete
second pin was easily & much more quickly cut using WD40 sprayed on the
cut area. I should have known that beforehand. I only use oil when drilling when
the metal is stainless or fairly thick. I just didn't think about it with the jigsaw.
I'm now wiser.

Otherwise, removing the old pins and installing the new pins and bushings went
okay. It was not a no-brainer like replacing a valve cover gasket or something, as
the pins seemed to like a combination of taps with a hammer and twisting and wiggling.

Clearly, I think, it is the bushings that wear, not the pins. Getting to the stock bushings
requires cutting the pins, so you have to replace both pin and bushings.
I used the Dorman kit. It has copper bushings, split, so it is a good idea not to
deform them too much during installation. Two of them went fast. Two went a bit
less fast, but no rocket science needed.

The new pins use lock nuts to pull the pins into the hinge. Note that the pins
with the nuts, turned to the ends of their threads, are LONGER than necessary.
If you keep turning, you will likely strip the threads on the pin or the nuts.
I am guessing this was designed so as to not deform the hinges with over-zealous
torquing. No matter. The pins don't rotate once tightened into place.

In my case, the bushings on the lower hinge were fine, but I had cut the pins
before thinking about it. If someone else is doing it, they might get away with
just replacing the top hinge's pin & bushings. I don't see why my door should
be different than anyone else's, so I am concluding that bushings on the top
hinge wear out much sooner than ones on the lower hinge.

I did run of of oomph while trying to hold the door in place and put the mounting
bolts back in place. Luckily my neighbor lady was standing there---in a nice
dress--and offered to help hold the door. I initially declined--because she
was in a dress--but she persisted. She explained that she used to help her
father work on his car. So I had help!

And after tightening the five mounting bolts and closing the door?
It closed gently and beautifully!
I'm happy.
Thanks to all for convincing me that it was doable and pointing me
to the HOW of doing it. We did good!

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,942 Posts
Glad to hear it worked! Nice job!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts