Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Return to DIY Spirit
'04 H'lander Limited
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is a DIY tutorial on how to change-out the complete fog light assemblies without removing the bumper. My vehicle is a 2004 Highlander Limited with factory fog lights.

I found terrific replacement foglight assemblies on Amazon for about $80 USD (for both L & R) including shipping. I'm sure there are other sources. They came with the # 9006 bulbs as well. Note: there are different part numbers for the LEFT & RIGHT side fog light assemblies.

Total Time to perform this job: (1st fog light assembly) 20-30 minutes: (2nd fog light assembly) 10 minutes.

Total investment: About $82.00 USD

Parts & Materials needed: New foglight assemblies (or just one if that is all you want to do); short 1/4 flathead screwdriver; short #2 phillips screwdriver; narrow flathead screwdriver, approx 6" long and TAPE the tip, then downward including at least 3" of the shank using electrical tape; small amount of dielectric grease, rubber glove(s), small flashlight and a rag.

Fog Light Mounting Points: There are three points on the fog light assembly that hold it in place within the bumper/moulding housing. TWO ears, one on each side, that slide in at approx. the 3 & 9 o'clock position; and the adjustment screw, which will be on the bottom left or right, depending on which fog light you are working on.

Remove the Trim Ring: First, remove the outer trim ring by inserting the long flathead screwdriver on one side of the gap. Gently pry inwards, then outwards towards you to disengage the tab from its mounting slot. You will then be able to completely remove the trim ring by hand. Make sure to tape the screwdriver or you may scratch the finish of the bumper/moulding.

Trim Ring removed:

Pic of Passenger side Fog Light Housing: This side was easier to get a pic of. I wanted to show this because I found it easier to complete the removal & installation of new fog light assembly(s) from the TOP. I stood right in front of the front grill/radiator and reached down to access the fog light housing on each side.

Removing the Fog Light Assembly: 1. Reach down & remove the bulb/plug from the back of the housing (Yellow arrow in pic below). Twist approx 45 degrees and pull it out straight back. Let it dangle out of the way. (Wear a rubber glove when performing steps with the bulbs). 2. Using the #2 phillips, reach down and insert screwdriver horizontally through the black plastic guide cap to access the adjustment screw (orange arrow in pic) and turn counter-clockwise 5-7 turns. this will push the fog light slightly forward which will enable the mounting ear to disengage easier in the next step. 3. Using the short flathead screwdriver, insert it downward behind the black tab as shown by the green arrow in the pic below. Then gently pry the tab out to disengage the mounting ear from it's slot. You may need to reach around to the fog lens face with your other hand and pull slightly. 4. Now look at the fog lens face & assembly from the front of the bumper & it should be partially disengaged. You may need to slightly twist or pry it to disengage the opposite side mounting ear from it's slot. 5. Next take the #2 phillips and again turn the adjustment screw counter-clockwise while holding the fog lens face with your other hand. Keep turning until the entire assembly pops out the front into your hand. Note: The adjustment screw stays behind, still part of the moulded housing back.

Change the lamp/bulb: Now is a good time to change-out the old #9006 bulb. Pull the harness & old bulb/plug out the fog light hole in the bumper. Use new bulb of choice & replace. Use a small amount of dielectric grease on the socket & plug. Then stick the harness back through the hole and let dangle. Caution!! wear rubber gloves when handling the bulb & plug. Wipe bulb if contaminated using clean white cloth, or paper towel & rubbing alcohol.

Remove Adjustment Screw: 1. In preparation for installing the new fog light, we must first remove the adjustment screw. Remember...the original screw stayed within the housing when we removed the "old" fog light. Use the #2 phillips and remove the screw. Note: The white plastic "splined" wheel (shown below) that the screw goes through comes off as well.

Install New Fog Light: We are basically reversing the above steps, only this is much easier. 1. Ensure you have the right fog light assembly. 2. You will need to guide the new assembly into the opening/housing. The first mounting point to hit is the adjusment screw. Line up the hole on the white plastic "nut" on the new fog light with the "old" adjustment screw sticking out at you. Hold the fog light in place and with the other hand reach down & turn the adjustment screw CLOCK-WISE with the #2 phillips. Wiggle the fog light with the other hand until you get it to thread. Turn several turns to be sure the screw threads through the white nut. 3. Look at the front of the lens and you should be able to see the slots for the mounting ears on each side. Gently push the entire assembly in until the ears snap into their respective slot. Inspect from the inside and make sure the inboard ear has been locked in properly by it's housing tab.

Install Bulb into Fog Light: Reach down and re-insert the bulb/plug into the opening & twist approx 45 degrees to secure. Hint: If you can't turn the plug, you may have to turn the adjustment screw counter-clockwise to create a bigger gap for the lamp base to turn.

Re-install Trim Ring: Examine the trim ring tabs and note they are different sizes. Look at the slots in bumper housing and match trim ring tabs to proper slot size. Start at one side and partially guide the tab in. Then the other side. Push slightly inward on the tab then forward. The new assembly will have a small amount of "play" when correctly installed.

FINAL ADJUSTMENT: You will have to use the #2 phillips to adjust the position of the fog light. Turn the adjustment screw as needed to bring the fog light out (forward). It should be nearly centered(but not perfectly) within the trim ring, and forward enough so there is a slight gap between the fog lens and the trim ring. Adjust per your personal preference. NOW, repeat all of the above steps for the other side fog light assembly!! :clap:

·
Return to DIY Spirit
'04 H'lander Limited
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks..trying to figure out why the most critical pic imported in "miniature" size??? I'll work on getting that fixed.

·
Return to DIY Spirit
'04 H'lander Limited
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2001 Highlander
14 Posts
Thanks for an extremely well documented, step by step instruction, with notations on the photos. Wish all DIYs were so well done.

·
Registered
2004 highlander v6
659 Posts
why

nice pixs, why were u changing the fog light asemblies?

If a bulb is bad can just the bulb be changed?

·
Return to DIY Spirit
'04 H'lander Limited
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Both of the fog light lenses were cracked and had severe moisture and condensation behind the lenses. When one of the bulbs burned out, I decided it was time to change-out the entire assembly and fix the lens issue as well. A local 'Yota dealer quoted me just under $400 and told me the labor included removing the front bumper, etc. Rrrrright !!(sarcasm)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Amazon link did not resolve, can you update it.

??

Spyder Auto FL-TPRI04-SM Toyota Smoke OEM Fog Light https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0076PKW5U/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_FFwrvb1VXR00C

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank You Much

This was a time-saving, well-written, well-pictured guide for replacement of the entire fog light fixture for Highlanders. My old fixtures on my 2007 were cracked and deteriorating with some weird powdery stuff on the inside.

Only one small edit I would add to his instructions because it wasn't clear to me (maybe just me) that this guide is intending to re-use the old adjustment screw instead of using the new ones that come with the new fixtures. He tells you to remove the adjustment screws from the new fixtures along with the white adjustment nut. At first, I thought this was so you could put the new adjustment screw in the mounting hole. But after not being able to figure out how to remove the old ones without breaking the molded bumper housing, I just decided to re-use the old adjustment screws. But it might be a little clearer for readers to note that the old adjustment screws are being re-used and the new ones discarded.

Thanks again.

·
Animal
Toyota Highlander 08
32 Posts
Toyota Owner - I think you missed it when he wrote "installing the new .... remove the adjustment screw. Remember...the original screw stayed within ...... the "old" fog light.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Like many others, the fog lights on my '04 Highlander have been cracked for many years. Finally, they quit working due to moisture and corrosion. Your post to DIY replacement was absolutely right on. With your instruction, I had the passenger side assembly out in 10 minutes. The driver side took about an hour but only because the bulb assembly was corroded so badly that I could not turn it the 45 degrees. Eventually, I was able to get the wire plug off the assembly and pull the light assembly with the bulb housing out through the front. Not going to replace them...going to search now or make a blank. Thank you so much for your post and help on this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ordered my replacements from rock auto for $73.57. We finally had a break from the rain here in NC, so I went ahead and swapped them out. Great tutorial! Really hard to see down there so it was a little difficult at times. After I figured out what I was doing on the first one, the other one was a breeze. Total time was just under an hour from hood up to hood down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Trying to replace a fog lamp assembly that broke -- thanks to an oncoming snow plow, I think. This looks really helpful, but the photographs seem to be missing -- any ideas why, or if they could be replaced?
Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts