Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on replacing the front wheel bearing on my 2003 highlander. Can anyone out there give me any pointers or let me know if there are any special tools I will need. Thanx

·
Registered
213 Posts
You will need to have access to a press as the wheel bearing needs to be pressed in and out of the hub. If you have done this before on other vehicles then it should be straight forward. If you don't have access to a press then just take it to a shop.

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
Mike James is correct. You will need a new hub and new bearing. The bearing is pressed onto the hub. I have yet to see anyone who can press a new bearing onto an old hub and make it work without problems. In your case, if you can do all the work except pressing the bearing, you can always take the hub and bearing to a local shop or dealer and they can press it on for you, but make sure you trust the people doing the job.

·
Registered
'06 Seinna XLE AWD, '04 Highlander V6 4WD
1,308 Posts
I have a local machine shop that has been in business here in Southern New Hampshire since 1935 They have pressout old bearing and pressed in new bearing into the old hubs on my Corrola and my '99 Honda Accord put 30k on them without a issue. They only charge $35 if you buy the bearing there. But these are the ONLY guys I would have do the job!

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
I did add this in another post, but I do sell to TN members for 30% off MSRP plus I only charge actual shipping costs plus $1.00 - $2.00 for materials, etc. So if you'd like a quote, just PM me your VIN and zip code and I can work you up a quote.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Mike James is correct. You will need a new hub and new bearing. The bearing is pressed onto the hub. I have yet to see anyone who can press a new bearing onto an old hub and make it work without problems. In your case, if you can do all the work except pressing the bearing, you can always take the hub and bearing to a local shop or dealer and they can press it on for you, but make sure you trust the people doing the job.
No need for a new hub, just make sure that the bore on the old hub is clean including the groove for the retaining clip. I've performed this task before without any problems (I have a tool to remove/install the new bearing without removing the hub from the vehicle). This tool also eliminates any need for an alignment after-wards. Tool is similar to this one http://cgi.ebay.ca/FWD-Front-Wheel-...t=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item5d2b386c96

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Cool, but I don't see how it could be used to press in the new bearing??

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Wow, cool youever use it on our SUV's?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Wow, cool youever use it on our SUV's?
Used it on a 2000 Sienna. To make the job easier, you would also need a tool to press the drive shaft out of the hub (can also be removed using a hammer and some type of soft metal rod). But removing the hub from the bearing/steering knuckle will require some form of axle puller with a slide hammer. I'm sure if you do a search on the web, you should be able to find some relative instructions/videos.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts