Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
88 Camry LE & 87 D21
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the car has had a few exhaust leaks in the pipe here and there. and i have had the bad sections cut out and replaced. now it has another leak, and it sounds like it is coming from the flex pipe. so im done patching the thing, every bit is getting replaced.

i found a new flex pipe on partsgeek for 89 bucks with free shipping. she is getting a ton of money back on her taxes and a good bit of it is getting dumped into the camry. it needs it bad.

im ordering new struts and springs, new strut mounts and the new flexpipe, cat converter and a header if anyone can point me in the direction for one that will fit the Gen2 camry 2.0 FWD.

the pipe from the cat back to the rear of the car is less than a year old, so i will be salvaging that portion of the exhaust system.

anyone know of a package deal somewhere? that would be best. the strut and spring setup i found will drop the ride height about an inch and its stiffer than factory. and that is good.

·
Registered
1999 Tacoma SR5 2.4L
356 Posts
Although you already have good exhaust replacement plans, I wanted to share my recent experience.

My '90 Camry 4-cyl exhaust from engine manifold to cat was rotted out (including flex pipe). Chicago winters and salt are rough on exhausts. Found a good Bosal custom fit replacement as a complete unit used as OEM source for Toyota and other car manufacturers. This was at Advance Auto for about $92. Had it installed at my Toyota dealer for $65, and the engine runs smoothly and quietly ever since. Couldn't be happier.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_exhaust-products-bosal_20381104-p

·
Registered
88 Camry LE & 87 D21
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rockauto.com has AC delco struts and moog springs hella cheap. i thought about KYBs, but they are almost double the cost.

i can get the 4 new springs, struts, insulators, dust boots, strut mounts and the new center flex pipe assembly around 500 bucks with shipping. and i have bought from rockauto many many times in the past with no issues at all.

autozone wants over 600 bucks for the suspension parts alone.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Sorry to hijack, any differences with the GTS header?
More rumble to the exhaust down low and a very slight shift upward to the power band, 500rpm tops.

Also they look cool. Mine is currently not installed due to interference issues with the transfer case. Need to make a new section that goes from the 2-1 pipe section to the 2.5" exhaust when that goes in. Currently have both sections of the header and the 2.5" exhaust in a box in the trunk of my '91.:disappoin

·
Registered
1,943 Posts

·
Registered
88 Camry LE & 87 D21
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i guess there is a reason they are cheap. if anyone knows of a sale of hidden deal on some good struts, let me know.

the monroes are 39 each for the rear and 43 each for the front. the kybs are available in serviceable or non serviceable. the non serviceables are 45 each.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,030 Posts
I'm glad somebody else suggested the KYB's... much better (OEM on many japanese cars).

As for the 5s-fe Celica header - it will bolt right up tot he head. The bottom flange is in a different location and will require modification to the exhaust. Any exhaust shop can do that work though.

-Charlie

·
Registered
88 Camry LE & 87 D21
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so with the collector connector being different for what ever reason (length, shape, angle or a combo), i guess the muffler shop could alter the new section of pipe that has the flex connection. i guess i will go see my muffler man this weekend to get a game plan together. i dont know if just that flex portion can be bought by itself or not.

honestly, i just want the header on there for eye candy lol and im gonna see if i can find a strut tower brace for the car too. hell i might even get the frame brace that goes in the rear floorpan area too. who knows.

i wonder how hard a rear swaybar is to locate? lol

·
Registered
88 Camry LE & 87 D21
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
i read in another thread about the Es250 and the control arms with bushings...............is this an issue on the camry as well? i have a hell of a power steering leak that is going to be fixed too. i noticed that it has started to eat the bushings away on the LCA on the passenger side.

i might as well make a list of the parts needed in this thread.

·
Registered
88 Camry LE & 87 D21
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
4 struts
4 springs
front and rear strut mounts
4 insulators
dust boots
lower control arms

that sound like all i would need? she has made it clear that she wants all the bugs/issues with the suspension fixed. and i dont get my AC compressor for my pickup until this is done lol

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,030 Posts
Unless the springs are rusty, no need to replace them. You'll want to add new bump stops to the list though.

Check the front swaybar bushings while you are in there too. They can sometimes be loose, causing similar issues to bad LCA bushings.

-Charlie

·
Registered
88 Camry LE & 87 D21
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i told her this is gonna be about 750 bucks. looks like its getting there slowly.

on the other hand, it beats a car payment.

·
Registered
797 Posts
If the bushings & balljoint on the LCAs are good you don't need to replace them. Amen on the swaybar bushings; mine are toast.

·
Registered
88 Camry LE & 87 D21
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the power steering leak has destroyed the passenger side LCA bushings. i am going to get some dye and run it through there to see where the leak is coming from. i cant tell if its the pump or a line. the UV dye will tell me.

·
Registered
88 Camry LE & 87 D21
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
i did locate the exhaust leak. its the flexpipe. so i called around and all that did was confirm what i already know. exhaust shops are crooks. they want 100 to 150 bucks to change the flex pipe. yeah, just the flex pipe.
im gonna probably order the pipe online. its much cheaper that way.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts