Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Tacoma TRD
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was wondering who here has replaced their headlights? I'm assuming almost everyone has. But what my question is... is what brand, and type of lights have you guys put in your trucks? And what kind of results have you gotten?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Philips Xtreme Power H4 bulbs. Got em off ebay from powerbulbs. They are alot brighter then my OEM bulbs were. They are not blue at all just a nice bright light. Here is a link to where I got them from:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/PHILIPS-EXTREME-POWER-H4-XTREME-XENON-BULBS-X-TREME_W0QQitemZ380112689741QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item380112689741&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1215|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

·
Registered
534 Posts
I second Philips Extreme Power H4 aka 9003. Way better than stock and definetly worth the money when compared to PIAA or Sylvania Silverstar. (BTW, tinted bulbs are crap, they actually steal usable light so you actually see less than with stock bulbs, kinda like those long life halogen bulbs that make you want to learn Brail for night driving.)

You can buy direct from www.powerbulbs.com/product_details.asp?prod=43They will also throw in free Philips Blue Vision W5W bulbs which match the color temperature of the XP H4. (3400k)

·
Registered
2000 Tacoma TRD
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really? Are the Sylvania SilverLight's that bad? That's what I was initially looking at buying. Ya I definitely don't want a blue light, just something really white and bright.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Really? Are the Sylvania SilverLight's that bad? That's what I was initially looking at buying. Ya I definitely don't want a blue light, just something really white and bright.

Ever tryed Sylvania Xtra Vision lamps? (+30%) They're not that good. The Sylvania Silverstar is the Xtra Vision lamp with a blue tint added to it. Halogen lamps by nature produce alot of light in the yellow wavelength. How do you make it whiter? Add a blue filter. The opposite of yellow is blue. A blue filter reduces the yellow light, thereby making the light whiter (and dimmer). The reason those blue bulbs seem brighter is due to the amount of blue light they create. Blue light seems brighter to your eyes because it is the shortest wavelenght. Also, if you drive in the rain alot in areas without streetlights, you'll see alot less due to the blue light scattering in all directions and blind on coming drivers. (H.I.D.'s really do this!) The Sylvania SS have a very short life span (they claim 150hrs, more like 15hrs of life, and that's for low beam). They also claim 4100Kelvin color, more like 3600Kelvin. The Philips XP H4 produces +80% over stock, has a 340hr life span, has a color temperature +/- 3400Kelvin (very white for a non-tinted bulb) and costs about $35USD with the exchange rate, compared to $50 for the Sylvanias. I've tryed both. Hands down the Philips are better, you can actually see with them! Would you want to pay an extra $25 for the tint on these bulbs when compared to the Sylvania Xtra Vision (same with PIAA but even more money), which is what these bulbs really are? I've worked in lighting for many years, and can tell you that Sylvania auto halogen lamps are NOT the best value. (There commercial products are good.) Buy the Philips, you won't be disapointed. Also Google Philips Extreme Power H4; the results might amaze you. (They have won awards; don't remember the Sylvanias getting any!) One last point, the blue tint on these or any other halogen bulb will eventually burn off of the bulb and go onto your reflector thereby smoking up and reducing the effiency of your headlight housing; not worth it!

Hope that this helps

04SR5

·
Registered
2000 Tacoma TRD
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ever tryed Sylvania Xtra Vision lamps? (+30%) They're not that good. The Sylvania Silverstar is the Xtra Vision lamp with a blue tint added to it. Halogen lamps by nature produce alot of light in the yellow wavelength. How do you make it whiter? Add a blue filter. The opposite of yellow is blue. A blue filter reduces the yellow light, thereby making the light whiter (and dimmer). The reason those blue bulbs seem brighter is due to the amount of blue light they create. Blue light seems brighter to your eyes because it is the shortest wavelenght. Also, if you drive in the rain alot in areas without streetlights, you'll see alot less due to the blue light scattering in all directions and blind on coming drivers. (H.I.D.'s really do this!) The Sylvania SS have a very short life span (they claim 150hrs, more like 15hrs of life, and that's for low beam). They also claim 4100Kelvin color, more like 3600Kelvin. The Philips XP H4 produces +80% over stock, has a 250hr life span, has a color temperature +/- 3400Kelvin (very white for a non-tinted bulb) and costs about $35USD with the exchange rate, compared to $50 for the Sylvanias. I've tryed both. Hands down the Philips are better, you can actually see with them! Would you want to pay an extra $25 for the tint on these bulbs when compared to the Sylvania Xtra Vision (same with PIAA but even more money), which is what these bulbs really are? I've worked in lighting for many years, and can tell you that Sylvania auto halogen lamps are NOT the best value. (There commercial products are good.) Buy the Philips, you won't be disapointed. Also Google Philips Extreme Power H4; the results might amaze you. (They have won awards; don't remember the Sylvanias getting any!) One last point, the blue tint on these or any other halogen bulb will eventually burn off of the bulb and go onto your reflector thereby smoking up and reducing the effiency of your headlight housing; not worth it!

Hope that this helps

04SR5
Awesome man, thanks. You've pretty much sold me on them.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Just wanted to add one more thing. If you buy from powerbulbs.com, they throw in Philips Blue Vision W5W bulbs for free. Even though they are tinted, they are brighter that the 168 bulb that the factory puts in the corner markers, and are the same color temperature as the Philips XP H4 headlights. They really complement eachother. :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts