Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I tried to find my answer in the search box, but had no success. So I need your guys help with my problem. :help: (A DIY video would be the best way to help! :thumbsup:) Plain and simple, exactly how do I remove the retainer clips for my trunk liner so I can get to my license plate lights/wire? :confused: I tried and tried to pry/pull with my fingers and flat head screwdriver, but it wouldn't come out and I don't want to force/pull it too hard because I'm afraid of breaking the clips. :ugh3:

EDIT: I'm also trying to change my stock bulb for my trunk light to the same LED lights I got from Khoalty for my license plate lights. I'm wondering how do you remove the stock bulb? Do you just ply/pull it out with a needle-nose plyer while the light is still on because the trunk is open while you're doing this? Wouldn't you have to get a firm grip with the plyer on the bulb to pull it out? And if you grip too hard on the bulb, I'm afraid the bulb will crack and break.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I always just used the claw part of the hammer and just pulled on it...done it multiple times on each clip, and never had to replace any yet.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,744 Posts
I spent $14.50 on a set of clip retainer removal tools from Amazon, worth every penny. :D It makes it very easy to remove the different types of clips without breaking them. Remember, the right tool makes any job simple! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I tried to find my answer in the search box, but had no success. So I need your guys help with my problem. :help: (A DIY video would be the best way to help! :thumbsup:) Plain and simple, exactly how do I remove the retainer clips for my trunk liner so I can get to my license plate lights/wire? :confused: I tried and tried to pry/pull with my fingers and flat head screwdriver, but it wouldn't come out and I don't want to force/pull it too hard because I'm afraid of breaking the clips. :ugh3:
The best method for me was to thread a strong string (or dental floss) through and just pull. For the first time you might need some force, but later on it will be easier.

·
Registered
09 Corolla S
2,598 Posts
what i did was yank of the trunk liner and the clips came off. i didnt bother putting the clips back in because it was held up by the trunk lock.

·
Registered
629 Posts
what i did was yank of the trunk liner and the clips came off. i didnt bother putting the clips back in because it was held up by the trunk lock.
I did that once and i ended up ripping the liner around the clip, so if your going to do it the yanking method, be cautious

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all who have helped me by answering and replying to my question/problem! :thanks: But does it really come off that easily by just pulling it with force with the tools you guys mentioned? Haha sorry, but I'm just afraid of breaking the clips and having to spend the little-less money and time to replace them. :facepalm:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks to all who have helped me by answering and replying to my question/problem! :thanks: But does it really come off that easily by just pulling it with force with the tools you guys mentioned? Haha sorry, but I'm just afraid of breaking the clips and having to spend the little-less money and time to replace them. :facepalm:
With my method (refer to my previous post) the first time requires some force but subsequently it becomes a lot easier. It will not break the clips.

·
Lowdown Lowlife
09 Corolla LE MGM
8,948 Posts
flathead screwdriver and a needle-nose plyers. use the screwdriver to pull it out a bit, then stick the plyers between the liner and top of clips and wiggle. Not sure you can brake them besides the top part used for grip to pull them out. IF you do brake them Autozone/Advance/ETC sells them for like $5 for 10 or something

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I spent $14.50 on a set of clip retainer removal tools from Amazon, worth every penny. :D It makes it very easy to remove the different types of clips without breaking them. Remember, the right tool makes any job simple! :thumbsup:
+1 on that.

if you can't wait for find a set (my local harbor freight has an excellent set for cheap) then a fork would be what i'd use.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've just been using two flat screwdrivers (one on each side), it's a bit of a fight, but it doesn't seem to damage the clips at all.

I've been blowing fuses like crazy trying to get some extra brake lights at the back working, so every time I try a new solution I take the clips off. I've finally found some resistors that have the right wattage, so fingers crossed that this afternoon/evening will be the last time!

As a side note, why do the Toyota mini fuses (the ones in the box under the dash) have different sized legs than the normal mini fuses? I bought a package of mini fuses and they stick out superfar now. Maybe I'm just an idiot.

·
Registered
09 Toyota Corolla S
3,516 Posts
I just pulled them out by hand without any tools and they come out easily but they do make cracking noises in the proecess because of the threads on the clips. Thenvpull down the green emergency escape thing and then work the liner down. And from there it should be straight forward. The trunk light was hard at first to take out but you just wiggle it out.and squeez the gray plastic to get it away from metal housing, then how I got the bulb out was by first unplugging the fixture so that the bulb won't be on and hot. Then I took a napkin and pulled the bulb out. Then again the reinstallation is straight forward from there

And I would get those plastic clip removal toll like supercharged and clint Have suggested

1 - 14 of 14 Posts