Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been hunting the local junk yards for two front seats to replace my worn out seats.

Today I came across a 2001 v6 with leather interior. The car had a front-end collision, but all of the glass, sunroof, doors etc were in tact and closed, protecting the interior from the elements. This car had 56k miles on it, and the seats were in wonderful condition.

The only problem is... the front passenger seat is power, and mine is manual. Only my driver's seat is power. I'm guessing the setup of the rails and stuff will be the same for power and manual, so the only problem I foresee is figuring out how to work the power seat into the wiring.

Has anybody here done this? Or could provide some insight into such a procedure?

EDIT: They want $200 for both front AND rear seats. Sounds like a pretty amazing price. I'd love to make this work.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
One thought is to splice the power from the driver's side power seat, but if you were to adjust both seats at the same time, you may blow a fuse if the circuit is not rated for simulateous adjustments.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One thought is to splice the power from the driver's side power seat, but if you were to adjust both seats at the same time, you may blow a fuse if the circuit is not rated for simulateous adjustments.
Yeah, splicing the driver's seat wiring is what I was thinking. But then I was wondering how I could possibly run the wire from one side to the other.

Although I didn't consider possibly blowing a fuse. If this ends up being the best way to do it, I guess I'll just have to make sure we take turns! =)

·
Ninja wrench anywhere
1,522 Posts
As far as running power, you might get lucky and already have a power connector under the passenger seat if dual power seats were an option on your year Camry...Toyota has a tendency to use the same wire harness on all it's trim lines of a given model. If not, when you pull the seats on the salvage car be sure to salvage all incoming connectors along with enough wire so you can splice onto the pigtail. Just to make troubleshooting a blown fuse easier, I'd splice into the power cable for the driver's seat up near the fuse box, then route under the carpet just under the dash area and over to the passenger seat area (I hate pulling up carpet, so I like to follow edges when possible). Sounds like a fun project.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked with the parts guy at the dealership today and he said my car would not have a power hookup under the passenger seat. He seemed pretty disinterested... so I will have to check under the seat myself.

Took some pictures of those leather seats today. I know it's a bit difficult to tell by a photo... but do you all think they look alright? The driver's seat definitely looks more worn than the others. But it doesn't look too bad at all.

·
Canyon Killer
602 Posts
dude, thats a good lookin interior. There is no reason you can't find power from somewhere to power those seats. If you don't have a connector, find a good power source. I'm assuming its just a 12V power source considering that is what most of the car runs off of.

If it was me, I would steal that entire interior and do a swap (if you dont currently have leather). I would also find a way, if not make a way to make those seats work. NICE !!! :)

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hm. I didn't really consider taking the door panels. Might just do that. Maybe the speakers too. And the floor mats. And the stuff that controls the door locks.

Good idea! :D

·
Wicked Clown Juggalo
389 Posts
Just swap the manual seat base and tracks from your existing seat onto the leather one and save yourself the wiring trouble unless you HAD to have a power seat.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just swap the manual seat base and tracks from your existing seat onto the leather one and save yourself the wiring trouble unless you HAD to have a power seat.
Yeah, I was wondering though... does the recliner handle thing come off with the base or is it part of the seat? If not, the power controls would not allow for that adjustment... since it wouldn't be hooked up.

·
Registered
2007 XLE V-6
90 Posts
Did you check your car for an existing wiring harness for the power seat? My '99 LE has power driver and manual passanger, but has the connector for a power passenger.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did you check your car for an existing wiring harness for the power seat? My '99 LE has power driver and manual passanger, but has the connector for a power passenger.
I have not gotten around to it yet. Been working on getting rid of my EVAP/Emissions CEL codes. And tomorrow I'll be replacing the master cylinder and calipers. I hope to dedicate most of next week to work on the seats and interior, and I will post my findings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Seriously all you need a constant 12V power source You could even run it from the battery if you are unsure about going into splicing a wire source.. All you do is run it from the battery into the fire wall and snake it to the seat . You can by a fuse box or relay thing and install it on you power source to protect evrything....

Cheers

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update.

Put down a $250 deposit the other day ($500 total cost) to have everything pulled. Seats, door panels w/ window controls, stereo, stereo/ac trim, shifter trim, various other trims, wiper arms. Got this net that was in the trunk for free... along with the board that covers the spare tire well, as mine had a couple broken clamps that hold the lug nut bar and jack bar in place.

I picked up the driver seat today, all of the trims, and stereo.

Actually installed the driver's seat too... in the dark. It's effing amazing. Feels like an entirely new car. :thumbsup:

Haven't checked out the passenger seat connections yet, but that will likely happen tomorrow.

The only problem I ran into so far is that the connectors for the new stereo are different from mine. :facepalm:

Is this easy to remedy? Are there adapters out there? The stereo from this car is newer and has a 6 cd changer. Mine is about the same minus the 6-cd thing. My Camry is Japan built, and I'm guessing this one was US built. Maybe that's the difference?

·
95 5S-FE
253 Posts
Update.

Put down a $250 deposit the other day ($500 total cost) to have everything pulled. Seats, door panels w/ window controls, stereo, stereo/ac trim, shifter trim, various other trims, wiper arms. Got this net that was in the trunk for free... along with the board that covers the spare tire well, as mine had a couple broken clamps that hold the lug nut bar and jack bar in place.

I picked up the driver seat today, all of the trims, and stereo.

Actually installed the driver's seat too... in the dark. It's effing amazing. Feels like an entirely new car. :thumbsup:

Haven't checked out the passenger seat connections yet, but that will likely happen tomorrow.

The only problem I ran into so far is that the connectors for the new stereo are different from mine. :facepalm:

Is this easy to remedy? Are there adapters out there? The stereo from this car is newer and has a 6 cd changer. Mine is about the same minus the 6-cd thing. My Camry is Japan built, and I'm guessing this one was US built. Maybe that's the difference?
im not exactly an expert when it comes to stereos but the difference in connectors might be due the difference in amplifier location. some stock decks have built in ones while others have external ones...

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hm. I have two connectors side-by-side, and the new stereo only has one single port in the back, for a single larger connector. Hopefully somebody else can chime in as well. I'd like to know if a solution is practical and not overly complicating, or if I should just return this stereo (which I can still do).

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Yeah you got the cd player out of a JBL equipped car. It has a separate amp.

If you can return it and get a couple $$ back then do it, its a pain (if not impossible) to install it.

Everything would have to get rewired.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts