Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my starter and I was wondering if I can do it without disconnecting the battery?

·
Registered
388 Posts
No, and you'd be insane to try (which is intended as a warning to one and all, not just you).

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
4,546 Posts
If the concern is losing memory related things in the radio, etc. you may consider buying a memory saver/keeper kind of thing. Generally speaking you disconnect the battery (negative terminal is fine) for anything that involves a power wire.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Generally speaking you disconnect the battery (negative terminal is fine) for anything that involves a power wire.
And in the case of a starter it's the biggest power wire in your car. I dread to think what would happen were a dead short to occur on live starter motor wires, even with a fuse involved.

I've done many a "tiny job" without disconnecting the battery. But I would never think to deal with a starter replacement unless the battery were disconnected first.

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
4,546 Posts
And in the case of a starter it's the biggest power wire in your car. I dread to think what would happen were a dead short to occur on live starter motor wires, even with a fuse involved.

I've done many a "tiny job" without disconnecting the battery. But I would never think to deal with a starter replacement unless the battery were disconnected first.
I think I read a case where someone was replacing the stater and either left the battery connected or wound up shorting the battery and had all kinds of issues with the ECU. I agree 100% - disconnect the battery when working on the starter FO SHO.

·
Registered
2004Toyota Camry V6
1,672 Posts
If you try and remove starter without removing the battery ground cable, I guarantee you will never do it again. Word to the wise. The starter battery connection is HOT.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Camry, 2017 Toyota Camry, and many many more lol
238 Posts
Don’t do it I have seen people forget to do it sometimes it doesn’t work out too good in the end

1 - 8 of 8 Posts