Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid XLE 2011 RAV4 Sport
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New owner of 2020 Rav4 XLE hybrid here and I'd lock to replace my stock rearview mirror with the Homelink version here.

Before I start tinkering, anything I should be aware of? Ideally, I wanted to get the other one with the digital camera but that was going to be much more complex since there's no existing camera in the back, I'd need to route power, etc.

Hoping the Homelink is just a simple plug and play.

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
3,938 Posts
Its held down by clips. It looks like its the same removal and installation on the new gen camry. On the top of the black box, above the mirror, pull down the small piece, held by clips. Once that's off, slide down the bigger piece towards the windshield. Slide it down along the windshield don't pull it straight down or towards the mirror. It's quite easy to do. I switched mine out with the avalon's touring frameless powered home link mirror and auto dimmer.

The mirror that you want to switch it out with has a battery inside the mirror which powers the homelink. Unlike the higher grades rav4 which has the frameless mirrors, it plugs in to get power for the homelink and auto dimmer. I don't believe the rav4's with the normal mirror without home link has that connection though i am not sure. So whenever the battery in the mirror goes out, you'll have to replace the entire mirror. Also, its held down by a torx (star) screw, so make sure you have that. Forgot what size it is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its held down by clips. It looks like its the same removal and installation on the new gen camry. On the top of the black box, above the mirror, pull down the small piece, held by clips. Once that's off, slide down the bigger piece towards the windshield. Slide it down along the windshield don't pull it straight down or towards the mirror. It's quite easy to do. I switched mine out with the avalon's touring frameless powered home link mirror and auto dimmer.

The mirror that you want to switch it out with has a battery inside the mirror which powers the homelink. Unlike the higher grades rav4 which has the frameless mirrors, it plugs in to get power for the homelink and auto dimmer. I don't believe the rav4's with the normal mirror without home link has that connection though i am not sure. So whenever the battery in the mirror goes out, you'll have to replace the entire mirror. Also, its held down by a torx (star) screw, so make sure you have that. Forgot what size it is.
Thanks so much. I wonder if I should try to pop off the mirror to check for power just in case. I assumed the battery mirror was a replaceable battery. Hmmm

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
3,938 Posts
Thanks so much. I wonder if I should try to pop off the mirror to check for power just in case. I assumed the battery mirror was a replaceable battery. Hmmm
The battery could last up to 3+ years. I installed a mirror similar to this one on my 2007 camry and before i sold it, it was still working. Had it for about 4 years.

Is this mirror self dimming, and how easy is/are the button(s) to access? Just thinking.
Does not have the auto dimming function. Just home link.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If it's just a garage door opener you are after, you may want to consider the Chamberlain MC100C*, universal garage door opener.. I have one. Have had it about 1 year. It works well and best of all it fits in the small recessed area of the center console of my RAV, to the left and rear of the trans shifter.. It opens the door from this location., no need to pick it up and aim @ the door. Home Depot sells them as well as most good garage door stores as well as online. Regular garage door openers are too big and don't fit anywhere that I could find.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Not sure if I should start a new thread for the sake of keeping this one clean, but any idea if there is an ignition powered line I can tap into up there by the mirror? Asking for the sake of both a powered mirror (auto-dimming) and installing a dash cam. I've got a camera in my Sienna that I wired but not sure what this new Rav has to work with.

I'm sure there is (with everything going on up there) but wondering where. My 2011 Rav4 let me tie into the dome light/moon roof controls and my 2014 Sienna EXL was similar.

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
3,938 Posts
The camera sensor. There is a thread either on the 8th gen camry forum or the 12th gen corolla forum but someone tapped into the camera sensor to power their radar detector. The camera sensor is either off or on. For the dash cam, i tapped into the fuse box because i wanted parking mode/motion detection when its parked.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gentex. Ebay or amazon. Same people that make the toyota mirrors.
Thanks for all your help. Moved my dashcam over from my Sienna and the wiring guide you sent made it possible. I appreciate it.

Next projects will be swapping out my driver window buttons (want the light), adding a few courtesy LEDs, crossbars, and maybe changing the horn.

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
3,938 Posts

Members at the rav4world.com figured out how to put lights on the door window buttons.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Members at the rav4world.com figured out how to put lights on the door window buttons.
I found that and ordered the part!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Stumbled across this discussion looking for some additional ideas about lighting for my 2021 RAV4 Hybrid XLE. Thought some here could use a link where I order from, https://cartrimhome.com/ which has the lighted driver door buttons (new) and things like lighted door handle and a host of other things that it appears others are finding in junk yards for a lot more money. Just thought I'd throw my two cents in if it helps anyone...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts