Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The original struts have finally given up the ghost, so in process to replace. The right-rear strut didn't offer any dampening affect and seemed to become frozen in place after only about 3" of compression. I imagine the tire would bounce like a basketball on every bump and it sounded like someone hitting the car with a sledgehammer. This made the car pretty much un-drivable. I think this may have caused undue stress to the lateral arm bushings as well because these were dire shape on the right side. Replacing both sides for good measure.
More odd, a coil spring on the left-rear was broken and the 1/2 coil fell out as I was removing the strut assembly. whoops.

Good news is the rear assembly is all out (after fighting some rusty/frozen/stubborn bolts for a couple hours) and just needs to be reassembled.

IMG_3252.JPG

If anyone has questions on how to replace or need photos of anything, let me know.

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Granted, I haven't replaced the front struts yet, and the suspension was quite worn and a broken coil on one side, but the back end now sits way high with new Monroe quick struts installed. I can fit my fist between the top of the tire and the fender lip. Anyone else have the same experience?

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
1,141 Posts
yes, aftermarket struts/springs have tons of quality issues like this

Unfortunately, we get what we pay for. Don't expect it to "settle" from that overly high position, either the springs are too long, or their wire is too large diameter.

My advice is return them and try different ones (either different grade from Monroe, or from a different maker).

·
Registered
Look in sig
9,020 Posts
Quickstruts do this often. KYB or Monroe. Some had better luck with swapping them another identical set.

One reason I do not like these drop-in assembly. While I don't think it's a quality issuer per say, it's more of a 'one size fits all' kind of deal. I usually replace the parts ala-carte, but it can get pricey and more dangerous as you need to deal with a spring compressor. I been using lowering springs when I been replacing struts so...

My mom's 2001 has some kind of drop in struts...unity that a local shop installed for her car. It makes her car looks like it's 4x4 off road. That or the spring sagged over the years and we gotten used to the look of it?

On plus side, should be easier to get in and out of the car.

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
1,141 Posts
If you decide to put the struts assemblies together yourself, you can use OEM top mounts, which many have stated are far superior to all aftermarket versions out there (ride quality, durability).

·
Registered
426 Posts
Looks like you're getting ready for a flood!

But in all honesty, everyone has already commented on quick struts. However, if you go the route of doing it yourself, you can rent a spring compressor from your local auto parts store and you get your money back when they get the tool back. It's the only special tool you'll need.

·
short-throw dipstick
6,213 Posts
+1 on that "funny car" look...my aunt's '95 has that after I installed four Moog quickstruts. Been that way for 5K.

The KYBs I put on my '00 did "settle" after 1K, and are at the proper ride height now...although I think they may have sat in a warehouse for a long time and leaked out the gas. Ride was initially super stiff (went around corners like it was on rails, I liked it) but once they settled it's become almost as wishy-washy as the original 200K-mile suspension I replaced. Maybe slightly stiffer because the KYBs seem to have thicker springs.

·
8,165 Posts
Before you jump onto returning anything..
I plea the case.
EVERY new strut I EVER installed, raised that side up by about an inch. EVERY. Yes, I am very well aware of what science says and folks think, but it is undoubtful FACT. And I have done enough of them, to see that be a FACT.
So, nothing wrong with Monroes you installed, they are great product, and I speak from experience. Cave in, replace fronts with Quick struts, and enjoy the ride. Or, simply toss 2 x 50 lb bags of sand into the trunk, to ballast it.

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the information. Everything was worn on the old setup, so the quick strut route was the most economical. I have a spring compressor and can swap the springs, (or remove and cut off a coil, which I know is a terrible way to lower a car...). I installed the front set, so will see what the car looks like and how it feels once it's all back together. Of course I should have done a more diligent inspection prior to ordering parts. Maybe I would have then noticed the sway bar end links were coming apart.

And as luck would have it, when I was turning my car around for easier access in my garage, the rear metal brake line that runs behind the fuel tank to the passenger side rear blew, so now i'm running new lines. Upon closer inspection of the rubber lines, those were in terrible shape as well and will be replaced.

Just replaced the passenger-side axle, brake rotors and pads since the car is temporarily out of commission. Seems like the whole car is slowly getting rebuilt!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts