Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As it says in the subject, I recently had to remove and replace my driver's side sun visor (google showed me that the visor failing and flopping down is a common problem); I had to remove the visor for a couple days until the replacement I had shipped out got here, as it was impossible to drive and see without keeping a hand on the visor the whole time. As soon as it was removed, the car's internal lights all stopped working immediately, plus the clock will only show at very low light (can only see it when it is night) and it will not save the time, resetting every time the car turns on. Also, the button to lock the doors on the front handles on the exterior, and the sensor to detect the key fob when I put my hand into the handle no longer work, though the key fob is still working to lock and unlock the door.

Does anyone know how to get the vehicle to turn these systems back on? I do have the new visor installed (same part as the one removed), but unfortunately that did not solve the problem like I had hoped.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops, forgot to mention that part: 2007 Camry Hybrid. The visor itself does not have a light, but there is a roof light that connects to the visor and detects when the mirror is opened (I suspect that removing it caused a short of some sort somewhere, but I'm not sure how to reset it)

Edit: I know from a friend that when they did a similar replacement on their volvo, the visor was vin-coded and had to be recoded by the dealer before it worked properly again, hoping that's not something that happened here as well?

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
8,890 Posts
Oops, forgot to mention that part: 2007 Camry Hybrid. The visor itself does not have a light, but there is a roof light that connects to the visor and detects when the mirror is opened (I suspect that removing it caused a short of some sort somewhere, but I'm not sure how to reset it)

Edit: I know from a friend that when they did a similar replacement on their volvo, the visor was vin-coded and had to be recoded by the dealer before it worked properly again, hoping that's not something that happened here as well?
That's a Volvo, this is a Toyota so it is unlikely but I won't say it is impossible. For some reason I doubt it is JUST a fuse but check your fuses. Otherwise you (rather I) need a electrical wiring diagram to determine what links all your bad systems together and see how they are related to your visor light. For now, check fuses.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked them as best as I could (I'm no expert), things look ok at an untrained glance, but I guess I can't be 100%. The thing throwing me is that the fuse diagram shows that should be multiple fuses controlling it, all of which seem fine.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
8,890 Posts
Unhook the battery because it can't be any worse now and inspect each fuse one at a time unless you know which fuse controls all the systems that are going bad but doing this is up to you.

One of the proper ways other than looking at the fuse is to check resistance with a multimeter on both metal tabs to see if it has resistance. If it has it, it is good. If it does not, it is bad. Just YouTube how to check car fuses for confirmation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had a busy week and couldn't update, was able to start pulling the fuses inside the driver's compartment, and sure enough, pulling the visor had blown one of those (which took several others offline just in case). Thankfully a replacement got it mostly working (the roof light doesn't work when you open the mirror, but seeing as I've never once used said light in 6 years, I think I'll survive).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts