Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Prius Prime Limited
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I sell the Camry (see my other posts in this area), I need to fix the ABS module issue to maximize the sale price. Selling as is would likely reduce my private sell price by at least $500. Can get it repaired for about $150 so makes sense.

If your car has the tach bouncing around, the speedometer staying at zero, the coolant temp gauge bouncing, the ABS and brake lights on, and possibly the A/C not working properly, you may have a bad ABS module.

To test, unplug the module to see if the tach and coolant temp gauges operate normally; unplug, test drive, and verify. The ABS module is on the passenger side next to the coolant overflow resevoir.

Product Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Electrical wiring

The cable is on the right side, that large black clip. It has a lever that you lift up and it unlocks and allows you to remove the cable.

In my case this returned those two gauges to normal operation - the speedometer was still flat lined. There are services that will repair the module (there is a vendor here that will do so), you can buy used ones off eBay, or you can drop several hundreds of dollars for a new one. An aftermarket one (non-OEM) is close to $700 (!!!). You do not need to remove the pump, which is the silver part behind the black module. That has the four brake lines connected, and removing it means you leak brake fluid and will have to bleed the system - including the ABS system. Generally, the issue is the module, not the pump, and replacing the module does not require you to bleed the system.

Once we get a rebuilt unit I will post up the removal and replacement steps here.

·
Registered
06 Toyota Camry XLE, 16 Corolla S
1,169 Posts
I had a similar situation with my 10 Nissan Frontier years ago. After pondering replacing the unit for $900 at the time and the eBay parts at $400 and up.
I simply removed the cable and gave it a really good cleaning with CRC Electronics Cleaner and an air hose and the problem was solved. No problems since 2016.
Might be worth a try.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Prius Prime Limited
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have had intermittent ABS errors for some time. I had no good idea of what was wrong so I did the Google hunt and found the issue pretty much right away, with the right search string.

I'll try cleaning that connector but I have had it telling me there was an ABS underlying error for a long time now, I just ignored it as it had not thrown the check engine light (just showed up in a scan) and everything seemed OK. She rolled over 300k miles the other day. Lot's of miles on her.

·
Registered
06 Toyota Camry XLE, 16 Corolla S
1,169 Posts
I have had intermittent ABS errors for some time. I had no good idea of what was wrong so I did the Google hunt and found the issue pretty much right away, with the right search string.

I'll try cleaning that connector but I have had it telling me there was an ABS underlying error for a long time now, I just ignored it as it had not thrown the check engine light (just showed up in a scan) and everything seemed OK. She rolled over 300k miles the other day. Lot's of miles on her.
Yeah, exactly the same with the 06 Camry and Frontier. No light just stored in memory. Cleaned the connector on the Camry and cleaned all the connectors to the wheel sensors also. Nothing after that and since, probably 85,000 miles ago. But I'm sure having it repaired will help tremendously.

·
Vendor
480 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Prius Prime Limited
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, exactly the same with the 06 Camry and Frontier. No light just stored in memory. Cleaned the connector on the Camry and cleaned all the connectors to the wheel sensors also. Nothing after that and since, probably 85,000 miles ago. But I'm sure having it repaired will help tremendously.
You may be on to something there ND. I just sprayed the hell out of the harness and the module pins, let it all dry, and the issue went away. I will have to drive it a bit to see if it pops back up, but it was consistently not working before cleaning. Right now it is just driving like crap, weird shift points, sounds like higher rpms to me but I have not driven this thing in a long time so may be too used to the Prius.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Prius Prime Limited
5,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, unfortunately, no dice. Had my son take it out and test drive it for a bit and the condition returned. The systems guy in me thinks a broken part should be a broken part - it doesn't work or it does, the intermittent aspect is goofy. Which lends credence to sketchy connectors. Sometimes they connect, sometimes they don't. I suppose I could keep cleaning and see if that truly makes it go away, but since it is a known issue with these modules, and it is not prohibitively expensive I may just send it out for repairs. 300,000 miles, one would expect some/many electronics to hit end of life.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Same happened to me, cleaned the connector but still returned. Took the unit apart to check connections on the CPU and still wasn't able to resolve it. It could be wires being too close together on the CPU, though I would only attempt that fix if you're really good with electronics repair. I took it apart a second time and did find 2 other wires very close so it might actually be repaired now. The adhesive holding it together is very strong.
Bought a used on on Ebay and no issue since. Make sure you get traction control with/or without to get the right module. They are different.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes this a common issue with ABS control modules for Toyota Camry 2006 -2009. Try cleaning the connectors and speed sensors first. If that does not help and you are looking for a new or used unit. There is an option to repair your original abs control module.
Here is more info: Toyota Camry (2006-2009) ABS EBCM Anti-Lock Brake Control Module Repair Service ABS Module Repair | UpFix
Use discount coupon code UF15 for 15% off
Hey Mike that code isn't working, do you have another I can use today. I'm on your website now hoping to purchase your service right now. Thank you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts