Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just replaced one last week on a 1998 Rav. So different model. The pump was original equipment and cost about $35 on Amazon. I had spent $700 three years ago and I was upset that the pump did not last longer. So this time I did it myself. It took me 14 hours the first time. Then I realized I made a mistake on the timing belt and ripped it all apart and had it back to together in no time (total time : 3.5 hours). The tricky thing on the 1998 is the motor mount that needs to come off before the timing belt covers could be removed. Those motor mounts are squeezed into an incredibly tight spot. Other than that, it was very straight forward. That said, if you need to do the timing belt, oil pump seal, tensioner, power steering belt, or any related parts; it would make sense to do these all together. The Toyota water pump gasket may have the rubber rim around the edges that creates a self sealing gasket. Those are very nice and worth looking for. My 1998 did not offer those gaskets.
No real surprises with this job other than finding out the last mechanic that worked on the car did not use the correct harmonic balancer pulley tool and had trashed the pulley.
I made a home made tool for loosening and tightening the crank bolt that holds on the harmonic balance. That was a big chunk of the 14 hours.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The 2007 Rav4 V6 is very different from the 1998 mentioned. It's basically nuts and bolts (no timing belt, or chain in your case to worry about) but is fairly involved. You will need to work from the top/bottom doing some of the work through the wheel-well, and raise/lower the engine with a supporting mount removed for access -- this will require the vehicle to be on jackstands, while using a jack to raise/lower the engine. You will need a good selection of hand-tools, and ill leave that at that.

Try doing some Internet (maybe YouTube) searches for 2gr-fe water pump replacement so you can visualize what's involved before you tear in. It's certainly doable for someone in their driveway, but I wouldn't recommend that for everybody.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 2007 Rav4 V6 is very different from the 1998 mentioned. It's basically nuts and bolts (no timing belt, or chain in your case to worry about) but is fairly involved. You will need to work from the top/bottom doing some of the work through the wheel-well, and raise/lower the engine with a supporting mount removed for access -- this will require the vehicle to be on jackstands, while using a jack to raise/lower the engine. You will need a good selection of hand-tools, and ill leave that at that.

Try doing some Internet (maybe YouTube) searches for 2gr-fe water pump replacement so you can visualize what's involved before you tear in. It's certainly doable for someone in their driveway, but I wouldn't recommend that for everybody.
Thanks MB777,
I have a pit in my garage and some tools and am wise enough to buy the tools I need. I enjoy the work and have repaired all my vehicles since day one. I used to hang out with the guys working on our aircraft and have learned a bit my just being around, but I certainly am not a natural at it. I do go to the dealer for certain things which I have learned is wise and don't mind paying for it. Your advice is spot on and I appreciate it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.