Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Toys
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So like the title implies, I have to replace my thermostat housing on my 86 gts. The damn housing cracked, so now I need to get a new one. Just wondering what all is gonna have to involved with replacing it. Looks like I'll have to remove the fan and waterpump. Anything else I need to be aware of?

·
noadvertisingplease.com
85 Corolla GTS
67 Posts
The rear part of the thermostat housing is part of the waterpump.

If you want new parts, just buy a complete waterpump from the Toyota dealer. About $130 last time I checked.

Also, buy the following:
upper water neck gasket
bypass pipe
2 o-rings for bypass pipe
new thermostat
jug of coolant
new belts, if yours look crappy

Changing a waterpump isn't too hard, the hardest to reach nuts are the two on the back of the rear housing that hold the heater pipe.

Clean clean clean everything up. Scrape all surfaces clean with a razor. I'd replace the bypass pipe, but you can re-use yours if it's not rusty. The early cars had really thin pipes that were made of tin. The later cars had machined pipes that had a MUCH thicker wall.

I'm not a fan of changing waterpumps or belts or stuff multiple times, so I listed ALL the parts that I would change on your car, just so that you can do the job, then forget about it for the next 100,000 kms.

Cheers mate.

·
Registered
2 Toys
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Brian. Hopefully the part I ordered is indeed the one I need and I'll look into the o rings for the by pass pipe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts