Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can someone please help with instructions for replacing the thermostat> I have no manual but worked on my old Pontiac grand am, a few 90's nissans and 80's MB diesels but this is a little different. I do not have a manual...if someone can post a few pics of where it is and best practice to get at it (what to take off first/what to watch out for, etc) that would be greatly appreciated. Didn't find anything on how-to in searching but could have missed it. If there is a good thread please point me to it.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK. Just purchased a Haynes manual for $10. Now all i need to know is:

Is there anything to look out for or is it pretty straight forward? I assume it is...but like I said never replaced one on a Toyota.

·
Registered
90 Corolla
134 Posts
I just did mine and it was simple. I removed the air box just for room to work. I used a Toyota stock thermostat. Make sure the jiggle pin is at 10:00 position as you are looking at it. Get a new rubber gasket from the dealer too.

OK. Just purchased a Haynes manual for $10. Now all i need to know is:

Is there anything to look out for or is it pretty straight forward? I assume it is...but like I said never replaced one on a Toyota.

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,665 Posts
Drain coolant fluid from the system, find thermostat housing, remove the bolts, open thermostat housing and watch for coolant to gush out a bit; I would put a bucket or something to collect this coolant, take out old thermostat and place new one inside housing, close housing and put bolts back and tighten them up... don't forget to put the coolant back. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Can't get much more simple than that! I'm gonna do it this weekend and a few other minor details (plugs, body work, etc) and see if that corrects the goofy low temp gauge and high idle. Then if not well at least I get a new t-stat! hahaha Then I can try to mess with the idle adjustment last resort.

Thanks for the tips.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts