Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All,

Anyone know of or have personal experience in replacing the timing chain cover without removing the engine? My son somehow managed to break off a piece of the timing cover (don't ask), and making a big coolant leak hole right where one of the the water pump bolts go in. I know it may be more time consuming and laborious, as I'll have to remove the passenger wheel and fender to get access to some of the bolts, but it looks doable to me.The car only has 110k miles on it, so there's plenty life left in it, but I'm not about to pay someone else upwards of $1500 for something that I (actually my son and friend), can do. Anyway, please share if you have any info and/or advice, and thanks in advance.

Jay

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would say yes it can be done...I'm pretty sure you can replace the timing chain without pulling the engine so timing cover would be a few less steps. YouTube should have some good How To's...

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
9,257 Posts
Yeah it can be done.

It is a balancing act of lifting and lowering the engine on a floor jack from the oil pan.

When you remove the motor mount, it will give more space, but not much. You'll still have to work around the AC hard lines.

Edit : this would be a good time to inspect the motor mount insulator. Flip it over to see if there's cracks or missing pieces. Then replace if needed.

Also inspect your timing chain tensioner assembly for leaks also. Add front crankshaft seal to the list and timing chain guides since it will be open.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I had mine off too. Check the water pump whilst you're in there too since it bolts right to the cover and you can change it on the bench.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts