Toyota Nation Forum banner

Replacing Wheel Studs

4790 Views 12 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  augcam
The performance shop is charging me $170 for changing wheel studs. He said he has to take off the drum, brakes, etc to replace the studs. Is this a good price?

I thought I read somewhere that Toyota made it real easy to replace the studs by knocking them out in the back or something? I have a 1997 Toyota Camry LE, any help would be great.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,193 Posts
Are you replacing a couple of broken ones or getting longer studs? If you have rear drum brakes you do not have to take apart the brakes. You just hit them out with a hammer and with an air gun, you install the new ones using the lug nut and a spacer. It's actually very easy. Shop around before doing this. 170 seems like alot for a job that easy. Tops should be one hour labor(60-80 bucks) and whatever the parts cost.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
trdcamry2003 said:
Are you replacing a couple of broken ones or getting longer studs? If you have rear drum brakes you do not have to take apart the brakes. You just hit them out with a hammer and with an air gun, you install the new ones using the lug nut and a spacer. It's actually very easy. Shop around before doing this. 170 seems like alot for a job that easy. Tops should be one hour labor(60-80 bucks) and whatever the parts cost.
I am replacing all of them with longer studs because I am putting on 5 mm H&R spacers. So the back ones are easy, does that mean the front ones are harder? I called Toyota myself and they said that if they did it, they could damage the front hubs, and that would cost me $800. Thanks.

Also, what would be the best kind of shop to go to for these? I went to a performance shop already, don't know if i would trust one of the coporate garage shops.... Anyhelp would be great. Thanks.

· Registered
60 Posts
hmmm im in the same boat. I allready installed my 5mm h&r spacers with the stock studs. They seem a little on the short side and am iffy on taking a hammer as they may damage the hubs. People have been doing it on Solaras and well... I just dont see it as beign safe. If anyone has a DIY or tips it would help a lot.

· Registered
1,777 Posts
Yea i wonder what the procedure is to take them off if you dissasmble the brakes. I'm gonna paint my rear drums and i gotta get some spacers for my rim/tire combo so i would like to get longer studs but i dont' feel comfortable hammering them out.

BTW, how much did you guys pay for your H&R 5mm spacers?

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
luisitol said:
Yea i wonder what the procedure is to take them off if you dissasmble the brakes. I'm gonna paint my rear drums and i gotta get some spacers for my rim/tire combo so i would like to get longer studs but i dont' feel comfortable hammering them out.

BTW, how much did you guys pay for your H&R 5mm spacers?
I paid $55/pair at opauto.com . It was the lowest place I could find and shipping was only $10 from the West Coat,

· Registered
60 Posts
50 bucks from my local tuner shop. Quick tip... To paint your calipers its best to just go ahead and use a paintbrush. go layer by layer to make an even coat. Spray painting seems to just F-up in the long run or by unexperienced people. Just spray the paint into a glass cup and use a brush.

· Registered
1,777 Posts
yea opt auto was the place i as gonna get it from.

Yea i'm goign to use the paintbrush technique for the drums. for the calipers up front i'm buying the kit that brings the paint as a paste with a paintbrush (either G2, Eastwood, or Duplicolor Kit)

· One Without The Force
304 Posts
Hey man maybe I can help. I've got a gen 4.5 and I got some H&R 20mm spacers to go on the rear. I got em from Optauto.com and saved some cheese. All you have to do to get the old studs out is take off the outer drum cover and knock em out with a hammer. You will have to spin the hub to a certain point to get the old studs out, youll see what I'm talkin about when you do it. To install the new studs simply put em through the back and tighten em down with a lug nut and a thick steel washer. Make sure you tighten em untill they are pressed all the way into the hub. As for the front I'm not sure cause I didnt replace those. But I think you follow the same process, instead of removing the drum you have to remove the caliper and rotor. If you have any questions just let me know.

· One Without The Force
304 Posts
^^^^ The longer studs came with my H&R spacers. The spacers were 20mm so the studs were also 20mm longer than stock.
I forgot to mention earlier that I used a lift and air gun. I dont know if you could do the job without them. OptionsAuto.com has the best deals and the most selection, that where I got mine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.