Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and thanks in advance for your time. Our 87 4Runner (22R-E 4wd CAL) which has lived its life on the Coast of Central California, started shooting gas yesterday. I quickly tracked down the leak to the rubber fuel line about two inches before it enters the fuel filter. It is a typical crescent moon worn spot on the rubber with a pinprick hole at the center that shoots out incredible amounts when the car is running. This rubber line is about 18" long and has factory ends where it meets the fuel filter and also where it meets the hard fuel line coming up from the tank/pump. The problem is that where those two meet has become married through corrosion. Even attempting to separate them is enough to make the rest of the hard line start bending and flaking. So, it seems obvious that I'm going to have to replace it all the way to the back, which I haven't even looked at yet. I would greatly appreciate your input as to how I should deal with it. I know just enough to get myself into trouble, but if it's just taking off covers and clamping lines, I can probably handle it (foreboding background music).
What problems/obstacles might I encounter?
Should I just order the parts and take it to our local old-school mechanics? (2 guys with a lift and free time)
Where should I order these parts from?
Any specific tools I will need?
Should I go ahead and replace other parts while I'm doing this? What parts would you recommend I replace?
Thanks again for your input. I'll be keeping this open and replying. I'll try to take pictures as I go for future reference.

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
Dude, you lost me at hello :confused:

Exactly what's the problem, in 20 words or less :eek:

Maybe even 50.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Problem solved (avoided)

Sorry, I know I can be wordy. The question was basically, How do I replace the fuel line(s) that run from the pump to the filter?

It turns out, no answer is needed. While I was at work, my wife had the car towed to a mechanic who told her it would be "about $100", and of course after 2 hours at the shop, he's done with it and the bill is for $240.

I feel like my balls got snipped.

Thanks anyway

1 - 3 of 3 Posts