Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Limited v6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New member here, and new Toyota owner. Thumbing through the owners manual of my wife's 2016 highlander. The manual doesn't recommend much at the service intervals other than routine oil changes and filter changes. Is there no recommended interval for coolant replacement? Or transmission service? PCV valve replacement? At 23k I'm a ways off from those things, but just curious...

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,138 Posts
Hi all,

New member here, and new Toyota owner. Thumbing through the owners manual of my wife's 2016 highlander. The manual doesn't recommend much at the service intervals other than routine oil changes and filter changes. Is there no recommended interval for coolant replacement? Or transmission service? PCV valve replacement? At 23k I'm a ways off from those things, but just curious...
My guess is that part of the "Check Coolant" at each interval is that in theory the tech would use the coolant tester to make sure that the coolant is good so whenever it goes bad they would replace it. Thing is that I don't believe many people are gonna open the steaming hot coolant radiator cap to check it with the tester because... it is steaming hot coolant ready to burn them.

Otherwise the interval is up to you. For me, I would preferred to have replaced my original coolant at 150,000 miles but I ended up getting a engine rebuild then I destroyed my radiator for my 08 Camry so I basically got a couple drain and fills. I still plan on doing a coolant flush and thermostat at 150,000 miles.

·
6,464 Posts
Coolant is good for 150K miles.
Plugs for 110K.
ATF is lifetime.
If you have AWD, you need to do transfer case and rear diff at around 60K under normal driving conditions.
You have EPS, so no worries there.
MAy take a close look at brake fluid interval. I had 2015 NX200t and for some reason they required brake fluid change at 35 000 miles.

That's about it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would not go over 5 years on the coolant, if I remember correctly my 09 Camry and 10 Corolla is 5 years or 100k?and has the same coolant. I do mine every 5 years, old coolant becomes acidic that's the reason to get fresh in there. If your planning on keeping it forever the ATF is not lifetime and after being told about my Camrys tranny fluid at 90k service, I will being changing mine at 30k but that's just me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would not go over 5 years on the coolant, if I remember correctly my 09 Camry and 10 Corolla is 5 years or 100k?and has the same coolant. I do mine every 5 years, old coolant becomes acidic that's the reason to get fresh in there. If your planning on keeping it forever the ATF is not lifetime and after being told about my Camrys tranny fluid at 90k service, I will being changing mine at 30k but that's just me.
I totally agree with above. NO transmission fluid is lifetime unless you mean lifetime=75,000 to 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Most intervals are negligent..... marketing extended intervals lowers the cost of ownership and reduces the hassle of service appointments...

All fluids/filters need changing. All machinery needs maintenance. Do what you want and when you want.

Oil, oil filter, ATF, ATF filter, coolant, brake fluid, differential, transfer case, engine air filter.... need maintenance whether the automaker states it or not, or claims its lifetime or overly extended

I change my gear oils every 30k.
I drain/refill my ATF every year and change the ATF filter every 100k.
I bleed my brakes every 2-3 years or every 24k-30k miles, and at every brake service.
I drain/refill my antifreeze every 4-5 years or 50k completely(radiator/block/bottle), or a simply 1/2 drain/refill(radiator only) every 2-3 years or 30k miles. Thermostat is changed at 5-7 years, and serpentine belt every 5/60.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Its not at all excessive if you plan on keeping the vehicle beyond the loan payment and expect the kids or grandkids to drive it through their high school or college years.
And yes, you thought wrong as ATF/gear oil isn't as good as marketed by automakers and oil companies.

American consumers are disposal addicts, most without a pissdrop worth of mechanical knowledge. They are also quick to cry when someone isn't right or when something goes wrong. Many common mechanical issues are preventable with maintenance. If your vehicle is not disposable and you want to keep it, you take care of it. Or, you turn it into the next junkyard car crushing shredding video or driveway/lawn ornament.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Its not at all excessive if you plan on keeping the vehicle beyond the loan payment and expect the kids or grandkids to drive it through their high school or college years.

I've given my kids and other relatives my older vehicles for college. We've been able to keep our past 5 previous vehicles well past 300k miles with using more then double your recommended change intervals. In 2005 I gave my 98 Pathfinder ( with about 320k miles) to my oldest when she started college. She gave it to her ex boy-friend after she finished grad school and got a real job. I saw her ex a couple years ago and he junked it after an accident...it was over 500k miles by then. Let me know when you've owned a vehicle with over 300k miles.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Changing ATF every year? What a waste of oil and money. My sister's 1995 Camry had 350K miles, and she only change the ATF according to Toyota schedule. I know people can be OCD about the maintenance, but stop spreading bad advice. None of the million mile vehicle owners said they changed ATF that often. They only changed according to schedule.

A lot of time, power train works perfectly fine when people give up on their vehicle, due to rust, electronic, or suspension issues. Stop lying to yourself about how long you will drive that old car.

Don't waste resource for no good reason.

·
Registered
2016 Limited v6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Coolant is good for 150K miles.
Plugs for 110K.
ATF is lifetime.
If you have AWD, you need to do transfer case and rear diff at around 60K under normal driving conditions.
You have EPS, so no worries there.
MAy take a close look at brake fluid interval. I had 2015 NX200t and for some reason they required brake fluid change at 35 000 miles.

That's about it.

Where did these specs come from? Not arguing that you are wrong, just curious what your source is?

·
Registered
2016 Limited v6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
American consumers are disposal addicts, most without a pissdrop worth of mechanical knowledge. They are also quick to cry when someone isn't right or when something goes wrong. Many common mechanical issues are preventable with maintenance.

I don't disagree, but Toyota is so appealing to most (me included) because it has built it's brand as being so reliable. So that's even stranger that they wouldn't recommend more service intervals?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Toyota's and other Japanese vehicles are good for their lack of minor issues afflicting the ownership experience , but they don't have a mortgage on drivetrain longevity, there are plenty of examples of other brands doing big miles.

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
3,623 Posts
Where did these specs come from? Not arguing that you are wrong, just curious what your source is?

Those specs are the general ones you tend to find in the Owner's manual. ATF is really about 100k or so, which Toyota considers "lifetime". Super Long Life coolant, which is Pink in today's Toyota world, has a, well, super long life. Denso/NGK plugs tend to be marketed as good for about 100k. All those assume you are using Toyota recommended parts/fluids.

I like 60k as intervals on things like coolant, ATF, plugs. ATF can go more, but other than cost no harm no foul if you go 60k. Plugs are cheap and in a 4 banger super easy to replace. On my V6 (4Runner) I will probably let it go about 100k just due to the PITA to get to a few of them. All depends on how I feel, how the car runs, things like that.

·
Registered
2016 Limited v6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those specs are the general ones you tend to find in the Owner's manual

My owners manual has no service specs, other than routine oil and filter changes. 150k for a coolant change seems like an awful long time, so that's why I was curious where those numbers came from.

·
Registered
177 Posts
My owners manual has no service specs, other than routine oil and filter changes. 150k for a coolant change seems like an awful long time, so that's why I was curious where those numbers came from.
150K is a very long time to change. With previous models with timing belts, you change the belt and water pump and coolant at 100K. I would suggest even earlier changes because my water pump was pretty corroded according to my mechanic. I may buy a coolant tester this time around to find out when will I need to change it.

I do want to mention that brake fluid need to be changed every 30K or 3 years. There are brake fluid tester too, but brake fluid change flushes out contaminants, and keep brake bleeder screw from freezing. I wouldn't wait too long between intervals.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I do want to mention that brake fluid need to be changed every 30K or 3 years. There are brake fluid tester too, but brake fluid change flushes out contaminants, and keep brake bleeder screw from freezing.

The main reason you flush brake fluid is because of moisture. Brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs water). 30k may be over-kill. I flush mine out every time I do a brake job (about every 60k miles). Never had a problem with any vehicle I've owned...even after 300k miles.

·
Registered
2001 Camry
495 Posts
It's important to remember that while coolant may be good for 150K and ATF may be good for 100K, when draining and filling, you're not replacing all the fluid. An ATF drain and fill may only replace about a third of the fluid. You need a machine to flush the transmission (can't DIY) and also, I personally don't believe that using a pressurized machine to flush a transmission with 100K is a good idea. So while you could wait until 100K to change "all" the ATF via a series of 3-5 drains and fills, you could also just change it once every 30K-50K and keep it clean that way. The same applies to coolant. I tend to change my fluids "early" because I'm draining and filling.

·
Registered
2016 Limited v6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's important to remember that while coolant may be good for 150K and ATF may be good for 100K, when draining and filling, you're not replacing all the fluid. An ATF drain and fill may only replace about a third of the fluid. You need a machine to flush the transmission (can't DIY) and also, I personally don't believe that using a pressurized machine to flush a transmission with 100K is a good idea. So while you could wait until 100K to change "all" the ATF via a series of 3-5 drains and fills, you could also just change it once every 30K-50K and keep it clean that way. The same applies to coolant. I tend to change my fluids "early" because I'm draining and filling.

Good point!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts