Toyota Nation Forum banner

resetting airbag light after seat removal?

91K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  LWadeC 
#1 ·
After removing the seats while running new wiring for upgaded stereo and reinstalling them afterward, I now have the airbag warning light on the dash lit up. The local Toyota dealer wants $50 to 'reset' the airbag switch that was disengaged when I removed the seats. Is there a easy way to reset the airbags without having to make an appointment with the dealer?

#2 ·
gilvie said:
After removing the seats while running new wiring for upgaded stereo and reinstalling them afterward, I now have the airbag warning light on the dash lit up. The local Toyota dealer wants $50 to 'reset' the airbag switch that was disengaged when I removed the seats. Is there a easy way to reset the airbags without having to make an appointment with the dealer?
What the hell did you do to trigger that warning light? I took my seats out for stereo installation and didn't have that problem. Maybe it's because I disconnected the battery before I removed anything?

About resetting it, have you tried disconnecting your battery for half an hour to reset the whole system?

#9 ·
Yeah. I'd try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. CHeap and no foul.

As for jumpers- I'd be careful that I knew exactly what I was doing and where to jump.
You damn sure don't want to set off an airbag. Even if you're very careful to stay out of the way and don't have the exploding bag break your neck if you accidentally short the wrong wires, you'll rack up a couple thousand dollar repair bill to R/R an airbag.

If it shows as an error code on an OBD CAN scan tool, you probably could clear it.
If you don't have one -or someone you know doesn't, places like Autozone will scan for free and clear a code if you ask. (For a really cold beer, I'd hook mine to it, but $50 is a lot cheaper than a drive to Louisiana.)

#10 ·
You shouldnt' have been given the light if you turned off the power prior to removal. Also, make sure all your connections are tight, secure, and in proper places. The dealership should cover that under warranty, not for a bullshit fixer fee of $50. I'd tell them to go to hell. I work on passenger seats for Toyota/Lexus, Subaru, VW and GM and never have problems with a light when we put them back into cars after testing.

If the dealer denies you, you may want to go to a different dealer.

#11 ·
I've driven my truck with the pass seat out and the driver's seat unplugged. The Air bag light was on the whole time. After I finished the install I plugged both seats back in and the light reset itself. I would double check all the wiring on the seats, make sure that all of the plugs are seated properly.

#12 ·
The battery was disconnected the entire time that I was working on the truck except for one minute while I checked for window clearance during sound deadening of the doors. otherwise, power was off until I finished with the stereo hookups. I'll try disconnecting the battery again for a few minutes, but I don't expect that will do much. I guess it's worth a try.
Tacogrand.....Where did you look up the sequence for the jump?

#14 ·
I think you can reset airbag codes with most code readers that can clear codes as well. Scangauge 1 and 2 can since they are OBDII code readers along with the other stuff they do, but you can also get a basic code reader/reset from Walmart or auto parts stores for $60 or less. I had one of those, but returned it before I bought my scangauge. More expensive than the dealers option and unhooking the battery, but mighty handy if you get errors often or on other vehicles.

#15 ·
I have the same issue. I have the light on and I disconnected the battery for a few minutes before I connected it back again. Except my light is still on. Also something weird happened after I reconnected it. I turn my truck on and it didn't have its normal sound start. It was really quick and then went really deep instantly. It engine ran for a little bit. I instantly could tell that it wasn't the same as before. It shook the whole car and then slowly died. I tried to start it again and then it did the same thing. I took it for a quick drive to fill up on gas and it stayed on, but does anyone know why it just quit like it did. And how to fix the original problem of the light being on?

#16 ·
Disconnecting the battery erases the computer info about engine tune settings, it can run rough while relearning, but it will relearn.

The light came on because you have a problem. Unless you fixed the problem you will keep getting the light. You can get a code from the light using a wire jumper between pins 4 and 13 of the OBDII connector under the left dash. Turning on the key and jumping the pins will cause all the warning lights to flash out stored trouble codes, you can read them by their flashing two digit codes. You can look up the code or post it back here for help.

#17 ·
Air bag light still on

The previous owner of my 2000 Tundra (4.7 ) states that the air bag light came on with seat removal/reinstall. The truck has no damage history and I have read everything on this site without finding my answer. I took truck to dealer who said it needed a airbag control module (at a cost of $580). I ordered one from myairbags.com and installed it myself with - battery terminal disconnected. Light still continuous on. I took it to a body shop for code reading again. "DTC 31/B1100: Air bag sensor assembly malfunction" is the reading. Does anyone have any further idea how to troubleshoot this? I read of someone replacing seat belts on a different model Toyota. Is there anything to check on seatbelts? All feedback is greatly appreciated.

#18 · (Edited)
DTC 31 is B1000, not B1100, but you're right, that's the center airbag sensor assembly. I don't think there is a B1100. I suppose that's what you are also calling the airbag control module, it's the one under the front of the center console?

Did you reset the codes and have them come back? If not, do that. It's not enough to just disconnect the battery. If you can't get the body shop to do it for you, there is a procedure but it's tedious. Let me know.

If the code comes back, sorry, your new assembly is also bad. To make sure, swap it out with another Taco's to make sure.

EDIT I see you have a Tundra. Wrong forum, try the Tundra forum. I think my comments will generally apply, but I could have some details wrong. I think there IS a B1100 for the Tundra, it is the same, I think in the same place as the B1000 I described for the Taco.

You could also check for power in your connector. I think there should be +V in the top two left pins of the center connector relative to ground.

I don't have a Tundra though.

#19 ·
Oops. Thought I was in the Tundra forum. Thanks for the input though. I see you in Indy. Likewise!!. The unit I got from myairbags.com was supposed to already be reprogrammed and not need anything further. I suppose it is possible that it could still be the issue. I guess Ill return it and ask for it to be double-checked. I guess the is some combination of turning on the key so many times that is supposed to clear the light as well. Still curious if there is any connection to the seat belts. Thanks again!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.