Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive seen a couple of them on here, and ive been to "the site" that explains how to do it but its not detailed at all and i have no idea where to start or how to do any of it. Anyone got a good link or anything to help me out? Anyone have a pair the wanna sell me....:naughty: haha lemme know
 

·
Old fogey
Joined
·
1,429 Posts
I dunno what "site" you've been going to then, because hidplanet's forums are about as detailed as they get. If you don't get it from reading up on that forum, you probably shouldn't be attempting the project. There's even a guy on there who started his own retrofitting business and will do any car, although I'm sure his labor comes at a cost. You can buy mine for 2 grand :lol: cuz there's no way in hell I'm parting with them for cheap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you act like im a newbie bro lol im not an idiot, i just think i might have had the wrong site. Im not too good with cosmetics and looks, just engine stuff. Whats the link for the site? Where can i get ahold of the dude who makes them?
 

·
Old fogey
Joined
·
1,429 Posts
Ah didn't mean to sound condescending or anything, just that you said "the site", which doesn't mean a whole lot to me since there's a lot of sites on the internet. Head off to hidplanet.com. They sell most of the stuff you need and have a great forum. There's a guy on there, I think named Larry (handle: LittoDevil or something to that extent), who's been doing retrofits for quite a few customers lately.
 

·
How hard can it be?
2006 Pontiac G6 GT
Joined
·
2,614 Posts
Why not just buy an ES300 that came w/ dual projectors? that way you could just bada-bing bada-boom swap in your e46 projectors and you're set! IMHO that would be the smarter way to go.
 

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
Joined
·
4,304 Posts
BlueFusion6851 said:
Why not just buy an ES300 that came w/ dual projectors? that way you could just bada-bing bada-boom swap in your e46 projectors and you're set! IMHO that would be the smarter way to go.
So what you're basically saying is... instead of spending $500 and several hours of work on retrofitting projectors, you would rather spend thousands of dollars on a new car and THEN swap in some HID projectors into it? :confused: I think DarkMastyr and I are thoroughly confused... :lol:
 

·
Carzz R Xpensive!!111
Joined
·
1,223 Posts
i think he meant ONLY buying the projectors from an ES at like a junk yard or something (if you could find them) and then doing the retro with those. but im still confused as well, cause it would still have to be a retro fit, cause it's not like the headlights would fit.

i think the quote in his sig tells all. haha
 

·
Old fogey
Joined
·
1,429 Posts
These are the only ones that I took that show what you're asking for. The blue tape was a temporary bandage to hold the (very thin) sheet metal together as the JB weld hardened. This served as the shroud. The bezels were some conduit caps or something that I found at Lowes. They remind me of the range rover style bezels, sort of an industrial look. Mainly it was because I was too damn cheap and couldn't justify spending $75 on a pair of E46 bezels when I could do it for $5 :lol:




 

·
Old fogey
Joined
·
1,429 Posts
Who dropped the price? The cheapest full kit I know from hidplanet runs $390 shipped, including projectors. I hope you're not talking about some kit that XenonDepot or XenonKing or whoever the hell they are sell, because those are aftermarket rebased kits (not OEM parts) that don't come with projectors and are generally regarded as trash.

For a good pair of shrouds and bezels, tack on another $75. Then you have to figure in miscellaneous costs like paint to black out a housing to reduce glare, JB weld, all the electrical components like fuses/relays/wires to build your own wiring harness. At BEST you'll be slightly under $500. Show me where you can do a full retrofit for $300 (and I'm not talking about getting some fantastic one-time deal off eBay or some other private sale).

Oh let's not forget the clear lens that you have to pull off a pair of crystal clear headlamps if you have fluted lens and don't want your new hids spreading light in random places because of them. I didn't even include that cost.
 

·
Registered
98' LGT
Joined
·
1,113 Posts
Ok, are projectors really that much better than normal light to spend several hundred dollars on? Does some one have some comparison pics?
 

·
Lex Zues!
95 Camry
Joined
·
4,900 Posts
yes.

lol

i see this a lot at my work (lots of rich people) and i see people driving and then a landing strip of light, its the bmw or benz, lol.
 

·
Old fogey
Joined
·
1,429 Posts
Grayguy said:
Ok, are projectors really that much better than normal light to spend several hundred dollars on? Does some one have some comparison pics?
Yes. Without projectors, the light goes everywhere except the ground, where you need it to be.

Here, educate yourself with information already available on this forum.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t98451-2.html
 
Joined
·
3,032 Posts
DarkMastyr said:
Who dropped the price? The cheapest full kit I know from hidplanet runs $390 shipped, including projectors. I hope you're not talking about some kit that XenonDepot or XenonKing or whoever the hell they are sell, because those are aftermarket rebased kits (not OEM parts) that don't come with projectors and are generally regarded as trash.

For a good pair of shrouds and bezels, tack on another $75. Then you have to figure in miscellaneous costs like paint to black out a housing to reduce glare, JB weld, all the electrical components like fuses/relays/wires to build your own wiring harness. At BEST you'll be slightly under $500. Show me where you can do a full retrofit for $300 (and I'm not talking about getting some fantastic one-time deal off eBay or some other private sale).

Oh let's not forget the clear lens that you have to pull off a pair of crystal clear headlamps if you have fluted lens and don't want your new hids spreading light in random places because of them. I didn't even include that cost.
the guy I'm buying all my turbo parts from knows, and I think he just has the hook up. I'm sure he wouldn't tell me who he gets em from, but he's selling them for $300 out of his store
 

·
Old fogey
Joined
·
1,429 Posts
RichieRichJP said:
the guy I'm buying all my turbo parts from knows, and I think he just has the hook up. I'm sure he wouldn't tell me who he gets em from, but he's selling them for $300 out of his store
What store? Show me. If you can get all those parts I mentioned together for $300 for every customer who's interested (i.e. not some special deal, favor, hook up, etc.), that'd be one hell of a contribution not only to TN, but to the automotive community in general.
 
Joined
·
3,032 Posts
DarkMastyr said:
What store? Show me. If you can get all those parts I mentioned together for $300 for every customer who's interested (i.e. not some special deal, favor, hook up, etc.), that'd be one hell of a contribution not only to TN, but to the automotive community in general.
Here is his website
http://www.speedzonefl.com/

I'll have a talk with him in the next couple days. I'm very positive we can work something out for TN
 

·
I smell McNuggets
Joined
·
1,011 Posts
BlueFusion6851 said:
Why not just buy an ES300 that came w/ dual projectors? that way you could just bada-bing bada-boom swap in your e46 projectors and you're set! IMHO that would be the smarter way to go.
Just to clarify as to why this is won't work that well. The IS300 dual projector setup consists of a large forged metal projector with lenses attached to the end. It is one big peice that is linked through all. So you can't just simply swap out the low beam. The whole peice must be removed, and then your stuck with jsut an empty shell and still no high beam. I had origianly thought of doing the reverse of this (taking is300 projectors into my headlights) but the metal piece is just so HUGE that it wouldn't fit in properly.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top