Toyota Nation Forum banner

retrofit power windows

4K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  75aces 
#1 ·
hi all.i went to the scrap yard today and pulled out the power window regulators and switches.
i also cut the harnesses inside the doors.
I have an 08 matrix base model with power locks but no power windows.
has anyone tried doing the retrofit?
i went on youtube and found where the relay should be.i also see where a 30 amp fuse needs to go.
i also removed the driver side kick panel and suspect that i need a harness that plugs into that kick panel area.

so does anyone have some input to aid me in my quest?

#2 ·
1) The wiring harness for the window switches has to match
2) The wiring harness has to have a connector for the power window motor(s)
3) The body control module (BCM) has to be capable/programmed to know the car has power windows (Probably matching part #'s will be enough on this generation - newer models probably have it programmed in software and the software has to be updated/activated/installed)
4) Wiring needs to be preexisting already to the relay/fuse block

#3 ·
I think that an extra harness/connector plugs into the driver side kick panel.i do see that i'm missing a relay on the upper part of the passenger compartment fuse box.also a 30 amp fuse is required and missing in the fuse box.
As for the passenger window i believe another harness plugs into the passenger side kick panel.
The rear doors i think that a harness plugs somewheres under the seat.

I'll head back to the scrapyard this week to view and remove the molex connectors and get a relay.i'll follow the routing of the harness from each door.

Any idea where the BCM is located?

#4 ·
You'll need all the wiring for the 4 doors and might need the integration relay. Test the fuse location. Your fuse box might not be pre wired.

Do your best not to cut any connectors or wiring in any of the doors. I'm not sure if you'll also need the floor wiring. Best to look at wiring diagrams too.

#6 ·
I didn't cut any wires on my car only the scrap ones.i found wiring diagrams online and will head back to the scrapyard and retreive 4 x harnesses plus the relay.
I'll check the fuse plug for power--good idea.
I suspect that manual windows miss one molex connector that plugs into the main harness via unused molex plugs either in the r/h and l/h kick panels in the front and in the back on the floor or in the side window sill.

#8 ·
went to the junkyard today and pulled the complete wiring harnesses off all 4 doors plus the relay.
the rear ones are done and work correctly.
the trick is that you need the relay on top of the fuse box plus the 30 amp fuse in the fuse box.
the driver's door master switch has to be connected to the junction at the l/h kick panel(3 x wire bundles-connectors)
for anything to work--even when testing.

also,it's wierd but the motor marked "L" on the brown plastic part actually goes on the right side and the "R"
marked one goes on the l/h side.

now the front doors--they may be a little more challenging since there's a lot more window tracks in the front.

#10 ·
power windows are installed and work perfectly.i only have to plug the front doors where door crank was located
and enlarge the 2 rear door crank holes for the window switches.
the front and backs were a total PITA until i figured out the orientation of the motor.
now i can do it with my eyes closed--almost--.

#13 ·
Here's a pdf i created outlining the job.
HOW TO INSTALL POWER WINDOWS
Do this at your own risk.I or Toyota Nation cannot be held responsible for damage or injuries caused by performing this operation.

If you are not in good physical condition or not mechanically inclined do not perform this task.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.