Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2000 Corolla.It has mechanical mirrors. I want to swap in a set of electric mirrors from the wrecking yard. Would the in-door and under dash harnesses have the needed connectors already in place?

·
ロンリードラ&#
99 Corolla CE
228 Posts
It's prewired, I just did the conversion myself recently. Grab yourself a mirror switch off Ebay or a junk yard. Prizim switch will work, that's where I got mine from, it's even labeled as a Toyota part. Mirrors from a junk yard or ebay. Got mine from Rockauto for about $30 each side. Pull the coin holder under the vent and you'll see the switch connection.

·
Registered
98 Posts
so all i have to do is:

1. find mirror switch
2. buy new mirrors with motors
3. install switch into coin holder position
4. install mirrors, how do i access the mirrors? do i pull the black triangle piece from inside and then that will expose the screws?...are there wires "hanging" there for me to just "plug and play" into the mirror motor?

this seems fairly easy and a cheap upgrade...i hope this is as simple as it sounds...heh

·
ロンリードラ&#
99 Corolla CE
228 Posts
1. Find mirror switch and mirrors (either used or new)
2. Install switch into coin holder position
3. Remove triangle covers and unbolt old mirrors
4. Bolt in new mirrors
5. Remove door panels and plug in cables in to open connectors near mirrors in upper section.

·
Registered
98 Posts
^

do u have any install pics or pics for each of the steps?...it would be helpful even though the steps are very straight forward...i just wanna know what i'll be getting into after popping off the vent trim panel and taking off the door panels...

waht tool did u use to pop out the vent trim to remove the coin holder?...is the switch connector right behind the trim bezel/panel?

do u have a pic of what;'s behind the door panel and which connector i have to hook up to?

lastly, i searched on rockauto and there were many options to choose from for power mirrors...can u link me to the one that u purchase for $31 bucks? the ones that i see aren't that price, either $22 or $83, or some toher prices for the power ones...

thanks for your help bro, much appreciated

·
ロンリードラ&#
99 Corolla CE
228 Posts
1) I don't have any pics
2) I just used my hands to pop open the coin holder
3) It's not that difficult, just open everything and look at what's there. It only took me like 20-25 minutes to do.
4) So you wouldn't want to get the $22 ones instead of the little more expansives at $31?

·
Registered
TOYOTA CORROLLA
33 Posts
There is a seller on ebay that sells them for only $ 29 and sumthing cents including shipping.I think it was 29.95 total when i bought it.the shipping was also fast got it in 2 -3 days.I cud look up the link for you if yur still interested.
And all u really need is a 3/8 inch drive ratchet a screw driver and a trim panel removal tool.

·
Registered
98 Posts
There is a seller on ebay that sells them for only $ 29 and sumthing cents including shipping.I think it was 29.95 total when i bought it.the shipping was also fast got it in 2 -3 days.I cud look up the link for you if yur still interested.
And all u really need is a 3/8 inch drive ratchet a screw driver and a trim panel removal tool.
29.95 incl shipping is a nice find...if you could please look up that seller again and paste a link then that would be awesome...

perhaps he/she might even have the switch as well...heh...

i'm going to open the panels first to check if the connector is there, my car is a VE trim and i hope that it's there, also going to check for the switch connector as well...a relay is not required is it?

·
Registered
TOYOTA CORROLLA
33 Posts
Ok i found the link.Its actually $ 29.81 for the mirrors and free shipping.It only takes 2-3 days to get it.They have very fast shipping.This is the link for the driver side mirror

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-01-Toyota-Corolla-Power-Side-View-Mirror-LH-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem35a4a650ddQQitemZ230395629789QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

and this is the link for the Passenger side mirror

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MIRROR-toyota-COROLLA-98-02-power-01-00-99-1998-2002_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem35a4c17246QQitemZ230397407814QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Hope i helped you save some money.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, talk about procrastination. I finally got the job done and there is a little more to it than just "finding" stuff. My 2000 Corolla has the wiring in place for electric mirrors. I think they all are. However, the switch I copped off another Toyo in the proper year range, 98-02, filled the hole at the vent but did not fit. It is a flat bezel and it needs to have one that is a little curved like the quarter holder it is replacing. The flat one has a PN of 183502. Sorry, didn't get the PN of the correct switch. And I still haven't figured out why there's a difference. Seems all switches in the 98-02 years should be the same.
Same with the triangular inside covers. Even the mechanical triangular pieces won't fit as the dingles or whatever they are that hold them in place are a different size between the two models. I had thought about just glueing some smaller ones I have in place but gonna hit the yard and pick up the correct triangular ones this week.
Kinda cool though having electric mirrors. The whole assembly per side can be picked up cheeeeap at Rock Auto. Whole deal cost me about $50 which isn't bad at all.

·
Official TN Member
83 Posts
Rimfire123
you got a 2000 corolla VE?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine is a CE which I also don't understand as it has power windows,locks, power steering. I thought the LE had that and not the CE.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just so others know, not all Corollas are prewired. I have a 98 VE and when I helped my Brother-in-law install aftermarket power door locks with keyless entry a couple months ago I did some digging around in the doors. The only wire the front doors have in mine is for the speakers, absolutely no other wires, and I had everything torn apart in there.
So my advice, if you are going to take on the project look at your own car first to determine what all you will need. I don't mind the manual mirrors, I am the only one who drives my car so they never need adjusting.

·
2000 Corolla CE
2000 Corolla CE
14 Posts
I have installed the switch and power mirrors. When I try to adjust the mirrors I blow my Cig fuse.
I have a 2000 Corolla CE.

Any ideas??

·
2000 Corolla CE
2000 Corolla CE
14 Posts
Looking for some help. I have the dash almost completely apart.
Switch continuity test is good.

When everything is hooked up:
I can move the left mirror up and left. If I try to move it down or right it blows the fuse**.
If I try to move the right mirror at all, it blows the fuse**

When I disconnect IK1 (behind center console):
The left mirror works perfectly and the right is complete disconnected.
As soon as I reconnect IK1 connector, the fuse** blow.

I have checked continuity from switch to all termination points. - all is good.
** Fuse = 31. CIG 15 A: Car audio system, clock, cigarette lighter, power rear view mirrors, SRS airbag system, seat belt pretensioners, automatic transmission shift lock system, theft deterrent system

1 - 17 of 17 Posts