Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Corolla CE, 186k miles, AT
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran a AirHog by Fram for a couple years, cleaned and oiled it just fine, since I used a K&N on my FJ40 LandCruiser years ago), but I swapped this one out for paper when I was getting sensor codes - there seems to be some ideas that the oil from the filter can get drawn in, so I wanted to remove that possibility. However I've seen some tests that debunked that idea. I think my O2 sensor was just time for replacement and the MAF was fine. I think Scotty K. even talked bad about the oiled filters, but does anyone have first hand experience? I never over-oiled and now have spray and will probably go back to it.

·
Registered
Corolla, Camry, Tundra, Camry, Avalon, Highlander, Venza, Highlander
3,893 Posts
I use oiled and dry washable air filters. Neither have caused me any grief.
Currently have an oiled one on my newest car purchased in 2019.

Never had oil reach the maf.. usually this is caused by morons that flood the filter with oil.

Reactions: Girohead

·
Registered
2000 Corolla CE, 186k miles, AT
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what info I've read and seen on youtube, the oil will cover the pintel of the maf sensor since the filter sits in front of the maf.

Not sure about the oil travelling that far into the intake.
I've read and seen those thoughts about affecting the MAF, but I also saw a video by K&N that ran some tests to debunk them. I asked to see if anyone had actually seen this as an issue as I think it was misinformation, theory or possible oversaturation. I know how to clean and reoil these and have it all anyway and will go back to it. I also have MAF sensor cleaner but it was never an issue.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Their is no simple answer. If you know how to properly lubricate the filters, then you should have no issue. The problem is most folks lather them up, and air pressure does the rest to the MAF.

The MAP sensor (i assume you have a 1998-9 based on profile pic) however I have not heard much about from the usual overoiling of KN filters.

Personally, I'd just toss in a new Rockauto special air filter for less then $5 every 10k (or less).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts