Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Corolla Hybrid
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, finally decided to want to know.

What's with the haunting ghostly "hhhhhaaaaaaooooooonnnnnn" sound when shifting in R ?
Is this coming out of the eCVT ?
I read some comments that it's artificially created, if true - Why ?

·
8,164 Posts
Maybe. Stupid non stop texting drivers and blind pedestrians complained enough to force noise generators onto hybrids so that people "can hear them come". eyes are not enough, especially if you walk, talking on the phone or texting or playing game on it.
Otherwise, there are no "shifting gears" to cause any undue noise. Just normal MG whine, but that should be faint.

·
Registered
2018 Camry Hybrid LE
73 Posts
I think that's a "new for 2019+" thing that it does it in reverse too. My 2018 Camry hybrid makes a sound like "space aliens" when going forward, but nothing in reverse. My son's 2019 Rav-4 hybrid does the space aliens going forward, but has a louder "screaming spiders" sound when in reverse.

I just wish I could figure out how to change the sound file. If I could, I would change it to the sound of a pack of Harley's coming at them. That would get their attention! :D

·
8,164 Posts
Naahh, they do humm pleasantly in both D and R, but it is not irritating noise. I am being passed by enough of them in both directions at work garage, to know that.

·
Registered
2019 Camry Hybrid LE
27 Posts
I think that's a "new for 2019+" thing that it does it in reverse too. My 2018 Camry hybrid makes a sound like "space aliens" when going forward, but nothing in reverse. My son's 2019 Rav-4 hybrid does the space aliens going forward, but has a louder "screaming spiders" sound when in reverse.

I just wish I could figure out how to change the sound file. If I could, I would change it to the sound of a pack of Harley's coming at them. That would get their attention! :D
Are you trying to say that the hybrid sound is artificially made ? Like coming from a speaker ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts