Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Camry
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok while waiting for my reverse glow guages to come in i was doing some searching on the forums for how everyone was wiring theirs up. I saw most ppl using a toggle switch or the one that came with the kit. And one other guy who has to turn his lights on once or twice before they would kick on at night.

Well i have wired mine so that they come on with the light switch, and they come on and stay on(with the first turn of the switch). The way i wired them was the positive and the negative from the transformer(?) and the positive and negative that are suppose to go to the toggle switch, all together. the two positives got soldered to the solid green wire on the plug closest to the driver door behind the guage cluster(the one that plugs into the cluster), and the negatives to the solid black one on the same plug. they are wires number 1(black) and 2(green).

sorry i have no pics, but if u have been behind the guage cluster you should know what i am talking about, and i hope this helps!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
i did that when i was ebay ricing in one of my other cars

·
Camry
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im not ricing out my car! just dont dig the stock clusters lackluster looks!

·
Grenaded piston
6,531 Posts
DoomCrewInc said:
sorry i have no pics, but if u have been behind the guage cluster you should know what i am talking about, and i hope this helps!!

Left most wire (black) = ground.
Green wire = parking light wire (switched +12V)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Nice. And since you tapped into the ground wire in the harness, your stock guage dimmer switch should also dim the reverse guages. A lot of people ground to the bolt behind the guages, but I found that when I did this, the stock dimmer will not dim the reverse guages. I ended up grounding to the harness.

·
Camry
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks 88le, and yeah i did forget to mention that i can still use my factory dimmer switch, b/c they are pretty bright!

·
Camry
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok if u look at the pic that 88LE posted, see the two wires on the left side? the black is the negative and the green is the positive

what i did: there is a red and black wire coming from the transformer, as well as the 4 plugs for the guages themselves, and a seperate plug for the "switch".

take the red wire from the transformer and the positive wire for the switch and solder those to the green wire.
then take the black wire from the transformer and the negative wire for the switch and solder those onto the black wire. and your done. sorry i will see what i can do for a diagram! it makes more sense when you are actually looking at your guages and guage faces.

·
Registered
21 Posts
hmm... the "switch". i have that thin membrane button thing. so i have to rewire those two umm... "wires" that run to the button thing? u know which is the neg. and which is the pos.? yeah sorry, i'm sure it'll be more clear when i open it up again. that button is ugly...

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have read that the people that purchased the RGG with the "thin membrane button thing" for the on switch cannot leave this button on and bury it in the dash, it must be turned on every time, so bypassing it so the guages are on all the time (RGG will be controlled by your stock guage switches) seems like the solution to me. I would imagine just cutting the switch out and connecting the 2 wires should do it. For automotive circuits, the negative is usually the switched line, doesn't matter, just cut the switch out and connect the two wires.

·
Zoom-Zoom
2008 Mazdaspeed 3
7,128 Posts
i put the "membrane" in a pretty secluded place; coming out my gauge cluster vent...

i wired it so they can only be turned on when my parking lights are on, and will turn off when i completely turn off my lights, that way, if i cant turn on my gauges, i know my headlights are off, and when i turn off my headlights, i wont forget to turn off the gauges, i kinda like it that way..

·
Camry
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah the membrane thing is the switch i am talking about

·
I don't sugarcoat!!
1995 Camry LE Coupe
393 Posts
My power wire is tapped into the parking light fuse behind the coin box. They go on and off with the headlight switch. Been wired like this for almost a year and the car hasn't burned down yet! :whatwhat:

·
Grenaded piston
6,531 Posts
^ :ugh3: Having worked as a car audio & alarm installer, I refer to that as ghetto rigging.

Just because your car hasn't burned down yet, wrapping a wire around a fuse is nothing to be proud of. :disappoin

I would do it the right way and splice into the parking light wire, but thats me.

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
Is it stiull ghetto if you............

use one of those "add a fuse" adapters?

I do not like splicing wires unless necessary.

·
Camry
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
make one urself, get 2 female spades(preferably ones that are plastic coated) insert whatever amp fuse you need to use into each spade, then insert your wires into each end and tape it up with electrical tape. i might need to make one and post pics of it! ill do it l8r. being a car audio/video installer myself we have found that around the shop when premade atc fuse holders arent available(we use a lot) we just make our own. it may be "ghetto" cheap. but not "ghetto" in the since of protection.! imma go work on the pic

1 - 17 of 17 Posts