Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked the bulbs and they are ok, the fuses are fine too. The wires seem fine. Any ideas on what else I can check?

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
there might be a switch in the shifter or at the tranny to turn the light on

·
Did somebody say "Nachos"
1992 Toyota Camry
550 Posts
Hey el guapo,

I've had the same problem since last fall on my 92 Camry.
I checked everything too - changed bulbs, tested wires, looked for switches, etc.
Now I'm thinking of running a new wire to the back and connect to a switch somewhere...

Keep us posted if you figure yours out :)

Ken

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CamryKen said:
Hey el guapo,

I've had the same problem since last fall on my 92 Camry.
I checked everything too - changed bulbs, tested wires, looked for switches, etc.
Now I'm thinking of running a new wire to the back and connect to a switch somewhere...

Keep us posted if you figure yours out :)

Ken
Yeah, if I don't figure it out I might just run a wire up to the dash somewhere and install a switch to manually turn them on. I'll also check for pinched wires in the trunk area.

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
You could always pull the back seat out and check the wires there.

A switch? Are you that worried about it? If someone can't tell you are backing up with out seeing little white lights, then they shouldn't be driving. You should be fine without them.

·
Did somebody say "Nachos"
1992 Toyota Camry
550 Posts
Sucess - I now have reverse lights (after going for 9 months without them) :rolleyes:

I finally looked deep in the trunk and found that 3 (!!!) wires were broken clean apart in the harness going to the reverse/tail lights.

I spliced them back together and re-wrapped them with electrical tape - looks better than stock :)

Everyone with flakey lights should pull back the trunk carpeting in the upper driver's side and see if the wires are frayed or broken. Simple to fix to boot !

Cheers,
Ken

1 - 8 of 8 Posts