Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Autosavant Editor
08 Sienna Ltd AWD
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. We just posted our review of the 2010 Tundra DoubleCab in 4x2 SR5 trim. My writer was impressed with the truck's capability, in spite of having the smaller V8 engine option. He liked a Silverado that he reviewed a few months ago, but felt that the Tundra was a more comfortable - and quicker - truck.

Link: Review: 2010 Toyota Tundra SR5 DoubleCab 4x2

The logic of people who are neither builders nor ranchers driving full-size pickup trucks in lieu of cars escapes many. I know it escaped me for a long time, even after I’d been living in Texas, world capital of pickupdom, for many years (after all, I’m an ex-New Yorker, and for a long time hardly even got the point of cars). But I finally get it: for a smallish family, a big, high-riding pickup can serve as a cut-rate SUV. Whereas a Toyota Sequoia, for instance, starts at $39K, a Double-Cab Tundra, the Sequoia’s truck cousin and platform mate, can be had for $26K. My test vehicle, which I have to thank for this revelation, was, in fact, one of these: a 2010 Tundra Double Cab SR5.

And I’m now convinced that a Japanese brand can make an honest-to-goodness full-size pickup that’s as good as the American brands’, whereas I couldn’t quite believe it before. The Nissan Titan, in my opinion, is a wannabe, and let’s not mention the forgettable and forgotten T100. Relative to a Chevy Silverado, the Tundra has wider and softer seats, making the Toyota more comfortable than the Chevy. Relative to the similarly-priced midsize Dodge Dakota that I reviewed several months ago, the Tundra is by far the superior truck. Conclusion: If you need hauling capacity, solidity, the power to pass and the power to tow, adequate interior storage, and the ability to cruise for hours on end with no fuss and a manageable thirst, all at a reasonable price, I can’t imagine how you’d go wrong with a Tundra. Even in Siberia.

·
Need For Speed
2011 Camry SE
10,761 Posts
:thumbsup:

I agree!!!! I've seen MANY die hard Ford/Chevy/Dodge truck owners come in, drive a Tundra, and love it so much they take it home the same day. Even the smaller V8, the 4.7, has a lot of punch that will kick a 6.0 V8 Chevy engine to the curb.

I just wish they made a diesel!!!!! (That would pass US EPA standards, at least.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.