Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
New 2006 Corolla LE owner
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all I drive a 2006 corolla LE automatic. I usually just rev to 4500 rpm. But how often can I rev to 5 or so without causing damage? I have hit over 5 a few times. Just wondering if its bad to do a lot. I know this is a corolla, not a Neon and it can take a lot of abuse, just dont want to abuse my car too much.

·
2005 Corolla XRS
309 Posts
I rev my car to 8200rpms a few times a week, I think it's probably good for the motor to work it out a little bit.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
long as your not bouncing off the rev limiter on a daily basis its not going to hurt it too bad. generally 4500 is about normal i would think, just keep in mind the harder you drive it the faster it will wear out. but on the flip side driving it like a granny will wear it out too just in different ways ie. carbon buildup and deposits. theres a comfortable medium and it sounds like your there..

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
hahaha.... i take the corolla up to 7800 rpm at least 4 or 5 times i drive it...... and generally take the mr2 up to about 7,000 or so

·
Registered
20 Posts
yeah, even my old 1989 corolla automatic revs to 6500 on every shift if I floor it, and it sounds pretty happy doing it. That has a lot to do with how well ballanced a motor's crank shaft is, and toyota seems to have done a pretty good job of that

·
Registered
497 Posts
If it's automatic... just floor it and let it shift at 6200rpm or 6500rpm redline.

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
If its automatic you don't have to worry about it as the transmission will always shift for you at the optimal point.

·
Vroom?
2003 Audi A4
4,408 Posts
drive it as you like. As long as you do it regularly it should be ok. like they said, just don't rev it insanely high all the time.
Thats what can make used cars so bad, usually the difference in how the different owner drives it tends to wear things out faster since they are not used to running that way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts