Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Spanky!
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok well ive been searching and have found nothing about 285/75's and tire pressure on the dueler a/t revos. I couldnt even find anything on yahoo. The max pressure on these is 65. I usually put them about 5-10 under max because I tow a 4,000lb boat. Is 55-60 too high? I searched and everyone is running around 40. I just dunno.... lol

·
Trevor
2,026 Posts
Time for the chalk line test. 60 psi is way too high. Take a peice of chalk and run it across the tread of the tire. Then drive 15 feet or so. If the chalk wears in the middle of the tread first let out some air, if the chalk wears on the outside of the tread first add some air. The idea is to get the chalk line to wear off evenly. That's the simplest way to ensure even tread wear. If you're hauling a 4000 lb boat you may want to add 5 psi or so, but not much more. The tongue weight is probably what... 10% of that? That's only 400 lbs of verticle force, not really a lot of added weight for the tires to handle, certainly not enough to warrant adding 60 psi to them.

·
My Other Truck
4,307 Posts
Chalk works well to set a baseline -- and remember this only reflects straight-line driving. Conering will cause the outer edges to wear more rapidly, especially on the fronts. Of couse, things like harder cornering and abrasive paverment will have even more effect.

Get a tread depth gauge (they are cheap) and use it regularly. You may find a need to adjust the tire pressure to attain even tread wear -- especially on the fronts. :)

·
knucklehead
113 Posts
I run 31 psi on my REVO's. 40 psi is too harsh of a ride for my taste. They are wearing just fine but I haven't done the chalk test. I'll do it when it dries up around here.

·
Registered
171 Posts
i knocked mine down from 45 to about 30-35. i've only had mine a month and with my 4-runner 18's my ride is sh**. i need to see about getting them re-balanced but at highway speeds it pulls left and right (very unstable). i hope i dont have a bad tire and/or wheel :confused:

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
Jason372923 said:
i knocked mine down from 45 to about 30-35. i've only had mine a month and with my 4-runner 18's my ride is sh**. i need to see about getting them re-balanced but at highway speeds it pulls left and right (very unstable). i hope i dont have a bad tire and/or wheel :confused:
That would be your castor check your alignment specs. You may need after market UCA's.

·
Spanky!
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know what hes talking about with the handling on the highway. I had it the first month i put the tires on my truck. You will be driving and it will randomly pull left or pull right. Its very dangerous. I think its a compilation of both oversteer and unbalanced tires. I cant seem to find a place to get it right. Im going to end up having to take it to the racing shop again where they do Porsches! :naughty: . They do good jobs obviously.

·
knucklehead
113 Posts
These trucks will settle after a while causing the toe-in to increase. An alignment should help as long as there isn't something else wrong.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks for the input. What i was confused on is how it could be my alignment when with my stock 16's and bfg's it was perfect and i havent hit a curb or anything like that since getting the new revos. also i thought it was alignment issue only when it constantly pulled in one direction.

I'm taking mine into the dealer soon to re-fix the front right squeek i have and have them re-balance my tires at that time. I hope they have the proper equipment to do it right being as though they are 4-runner 18's. I'll just mention what the truck is doing and see if they can fix it.

·
Spanky!
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I know its usually alignment when it just pulls but it confused the crap outa me because it would randomly pull in both directions. So i got my tires rebalanced because the first guys did a terrible job and it actually helped some of the sparatic(sp?) pulling. But I still think i have some oversteer and I hate it. Its soooo annoying.

EDIT: And to ask the same question as AN, Toku what do the UCA's have to do with it?

·
Registered
06 Tacoma DC 4X4
196 Posts
The tire place that sold me mine said 35psi. I have 265/65/17

·
Spanky!
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ooooooooooooo k. I get it now Toku. I called and talked to camburg, total chaos, and all pro. They all said the same thing, that the stock UCA restricts the trucks from having the correct caster which causes the truck to "wander" and "dart" of the road. Those are the words that were used which perfectly describes my situation. Now I have a new investment. I dont know which ones to go for though. All I know is that the TC are $669 and the AP and Camburgs are $499. I have a toytec 884 lift.

·
Registered
171 Posts
wow i cant believe it will cost $500 for new uca's to possibly get this problem fixed for good. i have no lift and it's not as though i added 33's or anything. i have 275/70/r18. it cant be that much of a difference from the stock trd 16's with 265's. ugh this truck is really annoying me.

yes darting and wandering are the exact words to describe what mine does on the highway

·
Spanky!
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jason372923 said:
wow i cant believe it will cost $500 for new uca's to possibly get this problem fixed for good. i have no lift and it's not as though i added 33's or anything. i have 275/70/r18. it cant be that much of a difference from the stock trd 16's with 265's. ugh this truck is really annoying me.

yes darting and wandering are the exact words to describe what mine does on the highway
Hmmm... well the reason the casters get restricted is because of a lift. since you dont have a lift i have no clue, but maybe the change from the 265 16 to the 275 18 couldve done it? i dont know. AN or toku need to chime in on this one for ya.

·
knucklehead
113 Posts
I would take it to a good alignment shop that knows what they're doing, tell them what it's doing, and see if they can correct the problem. With the taller tires, they will probably adjust the caster out to near max of the spec and they might crank the toe in slightly. I don't think you should need new UCA's. You need a good front end technician. This kind of stuff comes with the territory when you start up sizing and changing things. That's how it has been for me anyways.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts