Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this hasn't been addressed already. When I depress the clutch and let off the gas to shift from 4th to 5th gear, the revs don't drop. If I wait 4 seconds or so, however (rather than commencing with my shift,) they will eventually go down to their normal idle speed.

Why is this? Truck ('06 four-cylinder) has less than 2k miles on it and has been like this from day one. I notice that the automatic choke revs the motor quite high on cold mornings and then eases it off after about fifteen seconds and wonder if it's a related, computer-based thing.

Is it maybe done on purpose in the name of efficiency? That is, when going from 4th to 5th gear the truck is usually up to speed anyway so rather than drop down to idle and then come back up to 3k+ revs, might it be better on gas just to keep the revs up (automatically)?

I apologize if I'm not explaining myself well, but it's a weird condition that I've never experienced in any other car or truck, and only between these two gears in this particular vehicle. Is it normal? Should I get it looked at?

Thanks.

·
old faaart
127 Posts
High rev's between shifts

I drive an 06 Tacoma Off Road V6 6spd

Similar thing to your question, except that the RPM stays high between every shift.

I think there has been a lot of discussion here about this................ These trucks don't shift like any previous Toyota's.

Takes a while to get used to.............. 13,000KM on mine and I still find it annoying!

Hope this helps,

:)))

·
jorgem2
74 Posts
My 06 six speed does the same as well as my friends 85 pick up and 86 four runner that I have driven. I think its normal and may be designed to save wear on the synchronizers....

·
'06 Access 4x4 I4 Manual
06 Taco Access 4x4
140 Posts
My '06 4-cylinder 5-speed does the same thing from 4th to 5th. Hasn't bothered me enough to complain too much, but never saw this with 3 previous 5-speeds.

Tacogrande said using a URD MAF calibrator eliminated this issue (http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174366&page=2, post #17) with its baseline program, so I gotta believe it's just a problem with our default/factory MAF tune. If I can fix it cheap and easy, I will, but it doesn't bother me enough at the moment to act on it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
i noticed this right off that bat too and heard it was something having to do with emissions.. basically prevents unburned gas or something. i am used to it at this point with 32k miles on my 6 speed

·
Registered
48 Posts
Avery said:
Hope this hasn't been addressed already. When I depress the clutch and let off the gas to shift from 4th to 5th gear, the revs don't drop. If I wait 4 seconds or so, however (rather than commencing with my shift,) they will eventually go down to their normal idle speed.

Why is this? Truck ('06 four-cylinder) has less than 2k miles on it and has been like this from day one. I notice that the automatic choke revs the motor quite high on cold mornings and then eases it off after about fifteen seconds and wonder if it's a related, computer-based thing.

Is it maybe done on purpose in the name of efficiency? That is, when going from 4th to 5th gear the truck is usually up to speed anyway so rather than drop down to idle and then come back up to 3k+ revs, might it be better on gas just to keep the revs up (automatically)?

I apologize if I'm not explaining myself well, but it's a weird condition that I've never experienced in any other car or truck, and only between these two gears in this particular vehicle. Is it normal? Should I get it looked at?

Thanks.

Welcome to drive-by-wire world :ugh3: :disappoin My truck and everyones else with manual transmission does the same shit. Even worse when you roll downhil in neutral rpm would stay at 1450 :eek:
I bet that causes poor gas mileage. I think those idiots engineers who program ECU never drove manual in their lives...

Anyways go to your dealer and complain - I did but as usual they said it is programed that way.
So maybe you could dig something more and share with us.

good luck

·
My Other Truck
4,307 Posts
coloradotaco said:
i noticed this right off that bat too and heard it was something having to do with emissions.. basically prevents unburned gas or something.
Been discussed at length -- this is correct, it is part of the emission control system.

·
DCSUNDOG
06 4wd access cab
43 Posts
coloradotaco said:
i noticed this right off that bat too and heard it was something having to do with emissions.. basically prevents unburned gas or something. i am used to it at this point with 32k miles on my 6 speed

Dealer Service Manager explained to me the design is specific to emission reduction, but he could not explain what it might do to the clutch. It's the same as revving the engine rpm and slipping the clutch. My concern would be decreased clutch life.

·
Registered
Taco, Vette, M/Cs
12 Posts
goosedoggy888 said:
Dealer Service Manager explained to me the design is specific to emission reduction, but he could not explain what it might do to the clutch. It's the same as revving the engine rpm and slipping the clutch. My concern would be decreased clutch life.
I too, am displeased with this characteristic of my new 4 cyl 5 speed. I've never driven a vehicle that I couldn't "rev match" to the next gear. It's embarrassing when I drive with a passenger that recognizes proficient driving (which can NOT be done in a 4th to 5th gear change!). I wonder if this will be the first vehicle I've ever owned that will eventually require a clutch replacement. I'll be returning to the dealer for a fix...or a statement IN WRITING suggesting that this is NORMAL. I am of the belief that when you let off of the accelerator the enginge should slow down...There is a saftey issue when it does not!

·
My Other Truck
4,307 Posts
elofdahl said:
I've never driven a vehicle that I couldn't "rev match" to the next gear. It's embarrassing when I drive with a passenger that recognizes proficient driving.
Same here, and that's why I decided on an auto tranny after test driving a V6 with 6-speed manual. I couldn't drive it smoothly, and my wife noticed. btw my first car was manual, and I've owned and driven a lot of manuals over the 40+ years since then. This was the first one I could not drive smoothly.

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
this is one reason I traded in my 05 4cyl 5 speed for a 2006 V6 Auto

·
Registered
85 Posts
elofdahl said:
I too, am displeased with this characteristic of my new 4 cyl 5 speed. I've never driven a vehicle that I couldn't "rev match" to the next gear. It's embarrassing when I drive with a passenger that recognizes proficient driving (which can NOT be done in a 4th to 5th gear change!). I wonder if this will be the first vehicle I've ever owned that will eventually require a clutch replacement. I'll be returning to the dealer for a fix...or a statement IN WRITING suggesting that this is NORMAL. I am of the belief that when you let off of the accelerator the enginge should slow down...There is a saftey issue when it does not!

Actually you can still rev match, I have no problem doing so in my '06. I have yet to understand the concern with this condition, if nothing else it's helping you rev match because you don't have to rev the engine back up when you down shift. Say from 5th to 4th at 75 MPH your RPM's will need to rise approximately 500-600 to match engine speed in 4th. What's the big deal?

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
toyotechwv said:
Actually you can still rev match, I have no problem doing so in my '06. I have yet to understand the concern with this condition, if nothing else it's helping you rev match because you don't have to rev the engine back up when you down shift. Say from 5th to 4th at 75 MPH your RPM's will need to rise approximately 500-600 to match engine speed in 4th. What's the big deal?

people just dont like it... its annoying and makes you feel like you are not driving the truck.. more like its telling you what to do...

I hear voices :lol:

·
Registered
Taco, Vette, M/Cs
12 Posts
toyotechwv said:
Rev matching upon downshifting is OK...The problem is upshfting from 4th to 5th; The RPMs won't drop to match 5th...unless you wait about 5 seconds. It's not a deal breaker, it's just an annoyance to those who pride themselves on smooth shifting without having to slip the clutch to even things out.

I'm probably over-reacting to a minor issue. I've noticed the characteristic since day 1 and was just worried that it was a problem specific to my truck. I did a search on this great forum to verify whether or not it is typical of all units like mine...it is...I can live with it...It's a great vehicle overall!

·
DCSUNDOG
06 4wd access cab
43 Posts
RPM Hang when shifting

My two main concerns are increased clutch wear and safety. If I am off-track please let me know! Concern #1: During a normal shift the pressure plate and the flywheel are turning approximately the same rpm. When disengaging the two by pressing in the clutch, the flywheel is turning approximately 1500-rpm faster than the pressure plate, therefore the clutch will mate the two, increasing the wear on the clutch face. Very similar to revving the motor and dumping the clutch when racing from a stoplight.

Concern #2 From a safety standpoint; I am required to ride the brake when coming up on slower moving traffic when driving at interstate speed. The three to four seconds it takes for the engine rpm to drop would not allow me to slow down and coast along without braking, making it extremely difficult to maintain distance between my pickup and the vehicle in front of me. It feels like the throttle pedal is stuck. It is unnerving when driving in heavy high-speed crowded interstate traffic.

My toyota dealer told me this is normal for a 2006 manual transmission Tacoma. I think Toyota needs to reevaluate this particular way to reduce unburned gases in the exhaust system when driving a manual transmission. One more question needs to be asked. How do Toyota engineers address this concern with vehicles equipped with automatic transmissions.? Any ideas!!!

·
Registered
Taco, Vette, M/Cs
12 Posts
goosedoggy888 said:
One more question needs to be asked. How do Toyota engineers address this concern with vehicles equipped with automatic transmissions.? Any ideas!!!
Regarding deceleration in any given gear: An automatic has the same problem...When you let up on the gas, the vehicle doesn't immediately "back off." That's one reason I don't like automatics. Now I've got a manual with the same disspleasing characteristics.

Regarding a gear change: In an automatic transmission the next gear's "clutch pack" absorbs (by slipping) the RPM disparity.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I bought my first Tacoma on Thursday, brand new, a 2007. I have the 6spd manual, and I noticed this problem the second day. The absolute worst for me seems to be shifting from 2nd to 3rd, as others have said, the RPM's actually increase after I take my foot off the acccelerator and push in the clutch.
I've been driving manuals for a very long time, I've never even driven an auto on a regular basis before, and I've never had this problem with any other truck or car.
And as others have said, I also find it to be a serious safety issue. Several times now I've been headed for a red light, I take my foot off the accelerator for a nice slow deceleration using engine braking. Not only does it hardly slow down at all, but just when I think I'm about to slow down, it actually speeds up and scares the sh** out of me.

I've read through this whole thread, but I've hardly seen any results yet. Has anyone got a fix or a solid answer from Toyota on the fact that it can be a safety issue?
I plan on calling the dealership and Toyota on Monday and ***** about this.

·
Registered
85 Posts
goosedoggy888 said:
My two main concerns are increased clutch wear and safety. If I am off-track please let me know! Concern #1: During a normal shift the pressure plate and the flywheel are turning approximately the same rpm. When disengaging the two by pressing in the clutch, the flywheel is turning approximately 1500-rpm faster than the pressure plate, therefore the clutch will mate the two, increasing the wear on the clutch face. Very similar to revving the motor and dumping the clutch when racing from a stoplight.

Concern #2 From a safety standpoint; I am required to ride the brake when coming up on slower moving traffic when driving at interstate speed. The three to four seconds it takes for the engine rpm to drop would not allow me to slow down and coast along without braking, making it extremely difficult to maintain distance between my pickup and the vehicle in front of me. It feels like the throttle pedal is stuck. It is unnerving when driving in heavy high-speed crowded interstate traffic.

My toyota dealer told me this is normal for a 2006 manual transmission Tacoma. I think Toyota needs to reevaluate this particular way to reduce unburned gases in the exhaust system when driving a manual transmission. One more question needs to be asked. How do Toyota engineers address this concern with vehicles equipped with automatic transmissions.? Any ideas!!!

The pressure plate is bolted to the flywheel, they can not turn at different speeds.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts