Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
this is my 1st post here. Recently purchased 2019 LE plus. After some research installed rhino roof rack (can use all my thule accessories with it), and added running boards.
hl1.jpg

hl3.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's fixed, if i understand your question correctly - you cannot adjust the height. It cost me $216 and was very simple to install, it took me overall around 2 hours without much mechanical experience. No drilling, no cutting... just find on youtube TAC highlander running board and gives you an idea about complexity.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry I was referring to the roof rack. I was wondering if the cross bars can be moved farther apart front to rear unlike the factory bars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, footings cannot be moved. They attached to predetermined locations. I guess Toyota decided that to maintain structural integrity of the car it needs to be at certain places. I keep crossbars removed and just closed footings with special cover (2nd photo)

·
7,783 Posts
Can you take a measure from the roof to the top? I want to compare heights to the OEM design. I don't like the OEM design, but have left it on for no great reason.

Toyota did away with the adjustable points as it was cheaper.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice. What in your research lead you to choose the Rhino roof rack over Thule or one of the others?
Thule and Yakima connect the way it displayed on photo #1 - i don't really like that it hooks directly to the frame ("naked roof") so they were out.
Original and brightlines - #2, does not have locks (I have expensive roof box) and cannot be used with any of the Thule accessories.
Rhino allows to keep footings semi-assembled (#3) and in addition, when i put crossbars ,i can lock them with the key (#4) and use all the Thule accessories (compatible with rhino).
Also, they look really good and sturdy.
hl5.jpg

·
7,783 Posts
YEs, good choice. Well, the OEM model cost me about $90...vs $400 did you say?
I wouldn't like it on the body and window lip either. Not sure why Thule designed it that way.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the OEM original, eg #2 in your pix. They were already installed. Is there a way to rip these off easily? You said no locks. I don't know how they install, but some boxes can be locked to the bars. So they can be dismounted with a box attached?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
YEs, good choice. Well, the OEM model cost me about $90...vs $400 did you say?
I wouldn't like it on the body and window lip either. Not sure why Thule designed it that way.
yes, we go skiing and i leave my car in the parking lots overnight with box, skis, etc - it worth for me to spend extra $300 and sleep through the night

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I have the OEM original, eg #2 in your pix. They were already installed. Is there a way to rip these off easily? You said no locks. I don't know how they install, but some boxes can be locked to the bars. So they can be dismounted with a box attached?
my understanding it just "clips on" and it will take max 3 min to remove nuts and take crossbars with the box :)
99% of the crime is the crime of opportunity.

hl6.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
I like the locking feature, just don't like the price.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts