Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HATE ricer fart can buzzy exhausts. What brands/models are they? I want to know so I can stay FAR away from them.

I want to put an exhaust on my Camry (it will probably be the TRD one), and I want to make sure I am not going to end up like the awful Civic's with buzzy fart cans.

I just want a nice rumble, kinda like something you would see on a tuned German car.

·
Mitsubishi Diamante Owner
'03 Diamante
1,743 Posts
I had a cherry bomb on an old Corolla of mine. The ebay mufflers for 50+ sound a LOT better than that did. I'm happy with the muffler we have on my girlfriends car. I paid around 70 shipped for it... maybe less... I don't remember.

Anyways, if you want to pay way too much for a muffler then by all means get a TRD one. Otherwise, stick to name brands like Apexi, HKS, etc.... you'll still get raped but not as badly.

I'm staying stock on my Camry though. The smooth ride and quiet sound go together.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm, cool.

For my car (getting OT for general), of the 'good' brands, what should I look for on my Camry?

There does not seem to be a lot.

·
That Geeky Star Wars Girl
674 Posts
^ pretty please w/sugar on top use the search button

its been covered a billion million trillion times what exhaust/cat back systems are available for a gen 4 & what the sounds are like...

not tryin to be a bitch or anything but you got over 900 posts you know how to use the forum to help answer questions...

Keri

·
permanent hiatus
735 Posts
heres my theory and no one has called me dumb for thinking this... the sound of your exhaust will depend on how much air your engine uses. you have a 3.0 liter v6. those cars that have the fart cans sound that way because their engines are half the size of yours. its the engine that sounds that way, not the muffler. if it wasnt for the muffler, those hondas would sound waaaay worse. every camry ive heard with an exhaust usually sound a million times better than any civic with any kind of muffler (except maybe you can get wider pipes, but that isnt gonna help that much). at the same time, youll never hear a camry that sounds like a v8...

a friend of mine has the same muffler as i do on his vw golf, but he sounds way different than me (mine sounds better haha). but see he has... a smaller engine, i forget what his displacement was. we got the mufflers from the same place.

·
Mitsubishi Diamante Owner
'03 Diamante
1,743 Posts
Look, the sound of your muffler has to do with MANY different things.

Your intake will change the way your exhaust sounds. A car with just a muffler will sound loud... but normally kind of anoying. Add an intake and it kind of evens it out some. The size piping you use will make a HUGE difference too. Put some pea shooter piping on your car and it will sound like a weed eater, put too large of piping on your car and it will sound like a f*cking harley lol.... getting the right size makes the world of differences. As you said... the displacement makes a big difference too....

All things considered.. If I went with an exhaust on my Camry (which as mentioned above I most likely will not), I'd get at least a 2" inlet. Keep your stock catalytic converter on there and get the recommended size piping back from there (haven't done enough research on these cars to tell you what size). Also, you can add a good resonator between the cat and muffler to even it out too. With all these factors in place, your car should sound throaty without being raspy. Get a good intake too... it will make a difference!

·
My other car is a Camry
Camry
2,318 Posts
Exhaust note will depend on your engine and basically everything surrounding the engine. The more common parts that makes a big change of exhaust note are headers, exhaust resonator, and size of piping. Other more serious changes would be a turbocharger (depending on turbine housing), supercharger, different engine geometry (stroked engine), cams, tuning (A/F and ign), etc.. basically everything. I have heard my exhaust note change after every of engine upgrade, and I can tell you that my same 5-zigen muffler sounded deep, raspy, farty, throaty, tinny, quiet and loud throughout the time I had it on my car :lol:

As a general rule, you try to get a longer and larger muffler for a smoother and lower exhaust note. The larger the muffler, the more packing and sound absorbing material it can contain. Install a resonator before the muffler will also reduce the raspiness and "fartiness". The larger piping you go though the hollow the sound would become, so don't go too large.

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
I had a flowmaster series 40 on my camry for awhile. It was deeper than a fart can, but it was still way to loud and it just sounded like a deeper weed wacker.

now im all about the stock pipes and muffler, I have only heard one 4cyl that sounded really good, a friends MK1 MR2, he had a series 60 flowmaster with dual exhaust, sounded bad ass with the intake and the T-VIS running...to bad it rusted out and now its a straight pipe

·
Idon't brag I mostlyboast
MTA MetroCard
5,959 Posts
makes me wanna hook up the mic and record the sound of my fart can.

I got a ebay "BOMZ" style muffler with silencer, and it's maybe 16in long. Made my ride loud enough to set off car alarms in the daytime, but its not a farty civic sound. More like a old Chevy Lumina with a hole in the muffler and the cat sound.

ken, best thing to do would be buy a whole catback system for your ride instead of mounting a muffler on - the sound and power gain would be better than strapping a aftermarket on rusty piping like I did.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
B Deuce said:
makes me wanna hook up the mic and record the sound of my fart can.

I got a ebay "BOMZ" style muffler with silencer, and it's maybe 16in long. Made my ride loud enough to set off car alarms in the daytime, but its not a farty civic sound. More like a old Chevy Lumina with a hole in the muffler and the cat sound.

ken, best thing to do would be buy a whole catback system for your ride instead of mounting a muffler on - the sound and power gain would be better than strapping a aftermarket on rusty piping like I did.
Last paragraph: sounds realistic, but expensive. Probably a lot more trouble than its worth.

To add to my question: I like how well-tuned German cars sound. A deep, mean growl that is all business. Think Porsche Turbo with a sport exhaust kit (drool...)

·
The Asian Sensation
1996 Lexus SC300
904 Posts
kenratboy said:
I like how well-tuned German cars sound. A deep, mean growl that is all business. Think Porsche Turbo with a sport exhaust kit (drool...)
i agree with you, i like german cars sounds. my dad's z3 (2.8 liter v6) is quiet most of the time unless you push hard, then it becomes a reserved low-toned hum. it'd be hard to replicate a german car's sound with a 4cyl though, it'd probably take a few different setups to figure out what works best

·
Official TN Chic
71 Posts
man i hate those sounds... so so nasty and shitty .. and from what i heard u can buy this thing to put into ur exhaust to make it sound like u have a turbo.. they sell them at wal-mart... yeah...theres some really sad things done to cars now a days... i prefer the nautral sounds... and ewww to body kits that change how a car originaly looks.. i mean u want to be able to still know that .. that honda is a honda...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.