Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had experience with both of these trim models? I am looking for the smoothest ride possible and know thicker tires = smoother ride. However, I like the options on the Limited and would prefer that trim. Will the 1" bigger rims make that much of a difference?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 Highlander Lmtd
194 Posts
I had a 2015 Limited and now own a 2019 XLE. I prefer the comfortable ride of the XLE. I'll mention some differences we noticed immediately.
1. The limited had perforated leather which I mush prefer or the XLE leather. In the summer I didn't notice my back sweating with the perforated leather like I notice now with the XLE leather.
2. The Limited 19" wheels are steel with plastic chrome like hub caps. The XLE rims are alloy and 18". The XLE provides a noticeable smoother ride.
3. I would prefer the 6 speed smooth as silk transmission over the 8 speed transmission any day. Now that I know how the 8 speed feels, and I wanted a 2019 or 2020, I would have gotten the Hybrid XLE. Our 2015 transmission was so smooth and easy to maintain. The 6 speed didn't get the MPG the 8 speed offers but I would rather have a smooth transmission than one that hunts for gears to optimize MPG.
4. The LED running lights on the 2015 Limited were for aesthetics only similar to the 2019...the led light surround the light housing looks more expensive and nice. But for an additional $150 you can buy a very nice HID kit that will vastly improve the light output.
5. We much prefer the bench 2nd seat (2019 XLE) over the captain chairs our 2015 Limited came with.

There may be a couple more things but all in all I would take the 6 speed over the 8 speed any day! The smaller 18" wheels may not look as nice as the limited Chrometec wheels but they make for a smoother ride.

·
Limited
1,664 Posts
Has anyone had experience with both of these trim models? I am looking for the smoothest ride possible and know thicker tires = smoother ride. However, I like the options on the Limited and would prefer that trim. Will the 1" bigger rims make that much of a difference?

Thanks!
Go drive each of them and decided for yourself. It won't hurt.

·
Registered
2015 Highlander Lmtd
194 Posts
Go drive each of them and decided for yourself. It won't hurt.
Wow, that really helps the OP with the two questions asked. You don't think they thought about that and are looking for other owner thoughts on "Ride Quality." I am sure the decision they are making is based on a test drive and research they are doing on the net.

·
Limited
1,664 Posts
1) Wow, that really helps the OP with the two questions asked.
2) You don't think they thought about that and are looking for other owner thoughts on "Ride Quality."
3) I am sure the decision they are making is based on a test drive and research they are doing on the net.
1) Thanks.
2) Nope.
3) How are you so sure? The OP did not mention he/she has driven both.

Opinions on "ride quality" are like opinions on what is a good oil to run in our Highlanders.

·
Registered
673 Posts
It is obvious that the ride quality over smaller imperfections in road surface will be better with the higher profile 60 tire, but it wouldn't be a big difference. The XLE is better value for the money than the limited, more practical for everyday use I would think, but if you don't care about the cost and want the extras, get the limited and get another set of 18 inch wheels and tires. The only thing i would say is the wheel/tire setup on the lower trims makes more sense on the heavy the rather truck like highlander.

·
Limited
1,664 Posts
other than just size, the stiffness of the sidewall is at play here. a run flat 18" will but a harsher ride than and non-run flat 19" for example. same for a performance summer tire vs a non-performance all season tire.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info. Just some background:

I currently drive a 2012 Honda CR-V. My wife drives a 2012 Honda Pilot. The CRV has a very rough ride and I hate it. The '12 (old boxy style) Pilot drives much much smoother and I really notice a difference. We test drove a 2019 Pilot and it felt very very bumpy - much much worse than the 2012 Pilot. So we went and test drive a 2019 Highlander Limited and noticed it was much better than the 2019 Pilot so now we are sold on Highlander.

I was then thinking about the rims on the Limited vs XLE and thought I could get an even better ride and save some cash. However, we really want a panoramic sunroof. So now I am just trying to weight pros/cons of XLE vs Limited Platinum.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2017 limited and put my winter tires on 18” alloy rims. The winter tires offer a smoother ride on the smaller rims. . I find going from winter to summer tires more noticeable. It takes a day or two to get used to the stiffer ride.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
In general a higher profile tire will give a smoother ride then a lower profile tire. But suspension systems today are designed as a whole. Not as independent components like they were 30 years ago. Wheel and tire size are all part of the formula. So I suspect that any difference between the 18" and 19" won't be much - if any. The differences you see are usually between a sport trim and other trims.

·
Registered
'16 Highlander LTD
509 Posts

I currently drive a 2012 Honda CR-V. My wife drives a 2012 Honda Pilot. The CRV has a very rough ride and I hate it. The '12 (old boxy style) Pilot drives much much smoother and I really notice a difference. We test drove a 2019 Pilot and it felt very very bumpy - much much worse than the 2012 Pilot. So we went and test drive a 2019 Highlander Limited and noticed it was much better than the 2019 Pilot so now we are sold on Highlander.

I was then thinking about the rims on the Limited vs XLE and thought I could get an even better ride and save some cash. However, we really want a panoramic sunroof. So now I am just trying to weight pros/cons of XLE vs Limited Platinum.
Considering what your driving now, you'll like the ride & quieter interior of the HL lmited compared to your current Pilot.

·
Registered
673 Posts

Panoramic sunroof, more potential for leaks or problems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2018 Limited with the crap 19" Chrometechs on it. A couple weeks ago I stopped at my local Discount Tire to air up my tires and the Assistant Mgr and I got to talking about my thoughts on getting rid of the 19" wheels.
He suggested going with 18" wheels to give me more options. He also offered me $300 for my stock Bridgestones !!
Well, that was just the inspiration I needed....LOL I ordered a set of 18" Milani - Splinter wheels and a set of 265/60/18 Bridgestone, Dueler Alenza Plus tires. This setup will give me an extra inch of tire under the rims for a much smoother ride.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have a 2018 Limited with the crap 19" Chrometechs on it. A couple weeks ago I stopped at my local Discount Tire to air up my tires and the Assistant Mgr and I got to talking about my thoughts on getting rid of the 19" wheels.
He suggested going with 18" wheels to give me more options. He also offered me $300 for my stock Bridgestones !!
Well, that was just the inspiration I needed....LOL I ordered a set of 18" Milani - Splinter wheels and a set of 265/60/18 Bridgestone, Dueler Alenza Plus tires. This setup will give me an extra inch of tire under the rims for a much smoother ride.
Since you now have a 3% error for distance, why not go for a 245/65/18, even better ride?

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I told em to my 19" off my Limited as I didnt want plastic wheels, Told em to swap from an XLE...
Thus is clearly the best strategy (if the dealer will do it for free), both for a smoother ride, plus the fact that the plastic covered chrome wheels are not very durable and will likely be a problem (sometimes an expensive problem) for many owners in the future.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts