·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

Thinking about getting the Billys 5100 adn setting them at 1.75"

Anyhow, everything I read from my searches says it improves ride quality... ok

But what does that mean.

1. Does that refer to everyday street riding or off road?
2. Does it make it stiffer or ride more like a Cadillac?
3. What is the down travel at each setting?
4. What is the down travel of the stock Sport Shocks?
5. Is more down travel better for off roading or is the opposite true?

Thanks for any help, trying to figure it out. I have the rear TSB done as well. The lift would be nice but I am wondering if the ride quality alone justifies the cost. Thanks and I know there are a billion threads, none answered my questions I had though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have the 5100's front and rear with the 4pk tsb leafs.Fronts set at 1.75".I think what a lot of people are saying about improved ride quality is that the suspension feels stiffer and a lot less mushy.This equates into a lot less body roll when traversing bumps and cornering.That side to side rocking while going over speed bumps,for instance,will be greatly reduced if not gone all together.At the same time the truck takes on bumps,potholes,washouts ect. and corners a lot more effeciently.So yes,the ride will feel stiffer.The "down travel" is limited by the shock length and/or control arm articulation.The 5100's are very close to if not the same length as the stock shocks and that includes the trd billies.As far as wheel travel,i have no idea what our truck's front suspension has with or without the 5100's.And as far as I know the 5100's do not add any travel.The fronts,when set at anything above the stock(bottom setting), just preload the springs thus giving the front suspension less sag and you get the resulting lift.... .75" 1.75" or the top setting 2.5".
IMHO,the 5100's set at 1.75" ride great.Not too soft,not too stiff.But everyone has their opinion.Maybe someone else might chime in.....

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had mine aligned when I had the tsb installed at the dealer.They claimed that they got it into factory specs but didn't give me a read of the exact numbers.I still think the "wandering at speed" can be improved so I'm going to go to another place to see if they can get the caster to +2.1 and the camber to 0 or possibly -.1 ....This alignment spec was dissused in another thread about the best alignment numbers with a lift and larger wheel/tires....Think it was toku who came up with these numbers.Anyhow I believe the 5100's are a huge improvement over stock shocks/coilovers.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah,

I'm gonna go for it... have you heard any issue with alignment at .85"... that's where I'm gonna set mine at.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think you will be fine at the .85" setting.From what I have read in all of those 5100"s threads, alignment can be within spec up to around 2.5" of lift. Any more lift and you will need aftermarket upper control arms.If you ever plan on going to 265/75 tires and/or aftermarket wheels,you might want to consider the 1.75" setting mainly just for looks.Your truck will sit very close to level and you'll have that extra 3/4" or so of fender heigth over the tire.Either way,I think you will be happy with the ride.
BTW,when you install the stock front springs on the 5100's, make sure and keep the springs on the same side that they came off of.The stock springs are side specific.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you will be fine at the .85" setting.From what I have read in all of those 5100"s threads, alignment can be within spec up to around 2.5" of lift. Any more lift and you will need aftermarket upper control arms.If you ever plan on going to 265/75 tires and/or aftermarket wheels,you might want to consider the 1.75" setting mainly just for looks.Your truck will sit very close to level and you'll have that extra 3/4" or so of fender heigth over the tire.Either way,I think you will be happy with the ride.
BTW,when you install the stock front springs on the 5100's, make sure and keep the springs on the same side that they came off of.The stock springs are side specific.
Thanks man, Yeah I've been known to do that. I'll just do one side at a time would be the best bet not to mess up. Yeah I want bigger tires on stock rims later. Probably go 265/70 though, don't want to kill the MPG's too bad.

Question, are the angles of the CV boots ok at 1.75... I think I read there were probs if you went too high and would need a diff drop. I don't think you need it until like 3" or so right?

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
I believe you're right.... You should definitely have it at 3". Mine with the drop aren't even the greatest of angles.

Its probably your choice. Its not going to hurt if you install the shocks and then later install the drop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts