Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man i just can't have nice things. Roof chipped by rocks. That paint looks ridiculously thin.

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
10,622 Posts
Yup!
"The average factory paint job on a modern vehicle averages about 4-5 mils (thousandths of an inch) of total paint thickness, but some are closer to 3 mils. This usually is comprised of 4-5 different layers, with the top layer being the clear coat and accounting for roughly 1.5 mils."

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
13,664 Posts
Do let me know when you get the Honda paint fade.

Reactions: L3G1T

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
10,622 Posts
Toyotas have soft paint, like all Japanese manufacturers. Their paint is better quality than Honda, but it's still soft compared to German paint.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
13,664 Posts
Not arguing the thickness. Just point out that all paints chip. A real complaint is clear coat and base coat failure.

Where I live,.I be lucky to avoid a crack in the windshield. Don't care about the chips.

Reactions: sdspeed

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
13,664 Posts
View attachment 338113 Man i just can't have nice things. Roof chipped by rocks. That paint looks ridiculously thin.
I know it hurts especially on a new car. AFAIK, this has been an area where Toyota goes the minimum. I assume it's due to the popularity of ceramic coating. The ceramic will add a layer. How thick, it's not known to me. Haven't done it.

Get to the dealer and ask for your touch up paint. Not sure if toyota still provides this for free or not, but reach out to your sales person first before calling parts.

Reactions: sdspeed

·
Registered
742 Posts
Rock chips are bad but also watch where you park some A$$hat put a nice 1" ding on my driver side door! Hatch is only 9 months old rock chips and now a door ding yes can't win.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah sucks. I know AMMONYC has a method of using syringe with touch up paint. I may try that. 2 1/2 months and already getting thrashed. Like it's a highway daily commuter but still. I have a ceramic coating. But no ceramic coat will protect from a rock or hard debris on the highway. PPF would be the protection for that. But doing a a whole front end and roof would be really expensive. ANd the factory ppf leaves much to be desired.

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
10,622 Posts
Their variety of systems is interesting, looks like something for everything and everybody.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Toyotas have soft paint, like all Japanese manufacturers. Their paint is better quality than Honda, but it's still soft compared to German paint.
Soft paint is preferred as it bounces road debris better and is less prone to cracking/chipping than harder/brittle paint...

In North America, there only a handful of paint suppliers so pretty much all OEMs (German and otherwise) use the same source...

·
Registered
'21 Corolla Apex SE - 6mt 👽
1,128 Posts
Do let me know when you get the Honda paint fade.
Ya complain all you want about stone chips until your 5 year old car sheds all its clearcoat and looks like a trailer park car that you're still making payments on (hi I'm honda)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Soft paint is preferred as it bounces road debris better and is less prone to cracking/chipping than harder/brittle paint...

In North America, there only a handful of paint suppliers so pretty much all OEMs (German and otherwise) use the same source...
Exactly this, soft vs brittle... soft will be the more frequently opted for solution for day to day driving... Not one is "superior".

Dimension C137

·Registered
Joined Oct 23, 2017
·
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · 11 h ago

Man i just can't have nice things. Roof chipped by rocks. That paint looks ridiculously thin.

*** I'm sorry man my 1 week old brand new rav4 took not a stone chip it looks like someone hit it with a grinder ?!?! It took me a full day (hours) of trying to get the paint marker to fill the "hole" perfectly ..yes ocd... I was pissed but it's been 3.5 years and I dare anyone to point it out to me.... oh and my cardidnt make that recall list go figure.... lol

@75aces ... funny u mention Honda paint it took them 2 generations of failed civics (8th and 9th) and wouldn't admit any fault (kind of like Toyota taking 11 years to admit the white paint thing) and now Honda offers some 10 year or lifetime paint protection from oem bull** lol *

·
Registered
2012 Corolla CE
1,012 Posts
Funny! my black 2012 Corolla has no paint chips missing and I drive on gravel roads frequently.Maybe they put more paint back then.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I bought 2014 Camry back in 2017 it was already covered in chips with touchup paint all over it, lol. Then my commute made it worse. In the end the front end of the Camry looked like teenager with pizza face. But that's my brothers problem now, lol.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
13,664 Posts
Exactly this, soft vs brittle... soft will be the more frequently opted for solution for day to day driving... Not one is "superior".

Dimension C137

·Registered
Joined Oct 23, 2017
·
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · 11 h ago

*** I'm sorry man my 1 week old brand new rav4 took not a stone chip it looks like someone hit it with a grinder ?!?! It took me a full day (hours) of trying to get the paint marker to fill the "hole" perfectly ..yes ocd... I was pissed but it's been 3.5 years and I dare anyone to point it out to me.... oh and my cardidnt make that recall list go figure.... lol

@75aces ... funny u mention Honda paint it took them 2 generations of failed civics (8th and 9th) and wouldn't admit any fault (kind of like Toyota taking 11 years to admit the white paint thing) and now Honda offers some 10 year or lifetime paint protection from oem bull** lol *
Yeah, that's a shame for Honda. On the bright side, they did warranty the exterior paint for a one time lifetime respray. So I've heard. Not all dealers will honor it. 🤣.

Though, I will say this though. You take super white 2 and put some purple flake. I think that's what it's called. Seen it used on an 04-05 Suzuki sv650. It looked really good. Considering painting my speed 3 this color.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It’s impossible now days to avoid rock chips. Especially in a town like mine where every dude has small peepee energy with lifted 2500’s and no rock guards.

After my first white carI vowed never again no matter how good it looks.

I try to fork out $4000 ASAP to wrap the car and protect the paint.

I actually got ceramic wrap protection on the front of my Camry and even that looks like crap from rock chips.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
It’s impossible now days to avoid rock chips. Especially in a town like mine where every dude has small peepee energy with lifted 2500’s and no rock guards.

After my first white carI vowed never again no matter how good it looks.

I try to fork out $4000 ASAP to wrap the car and protect the paint.

I actually got ceramic wrap protection on the front of my Camry and even that looks like crap from rock chips.
Are you hiring I could use that money lol

And what town is this sounds like my city 🤔...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Are you hiring I could use that money lol

And what town is this sounds like my city 🤔...
Nah believe me, I’m eating bread and butter for the next three months to financial recover 😂😂

Fort McMurray. Seems like if you work on the oil patch it’s an unwritten rule to own a ridiculously big truck.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts