Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Semper Paratus
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anybody thought to put a resistor on the ECT1 sensor to compensate on the fuel side for the extra flow of an intake and exhuast.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Are you sure your running lean? Our trucks already run rich from the factory, and with all the performance installs, it's just burning fuel.

·
Semper Paratus
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Honestly It was advice given to me by my instructor at MMI when we went to lunch together. He saw my truck looked at my mods and told me that I should think about it as a cheap alternative to a MAF calibrator.

·
'08 tacoma pre-runner
tacoma
520 Posts
?

Honestly It was advice given to me by my instructor at MMI when we went to lunch together. He saw my truck looked at my mods and told me that I should think about it as a cheap alternative to a MAF calibrator.
explain please i dont really understand what that means...ur upgrades are as worthless as a urd maf?? or they are worthless without the maf? thanks

·
Semper Paratus
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
when did I say worthless? Neither. It might make the truck a little faster for less money than a MAF calibrator. it would just fudge the sensor reading and put more fuel in the engine. basically the same thing a MAF calibrator does.

·
'08 tacoma pre-runner
tacoma
520 Posts
worthless was my word choice sorry and i would think the maf would be cheaper than all the other mods put together. did he mention anything with those mods along with the maf?

·
Semper Paratus
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah it goes with the mods I have now.

·
Theatre Nerd Person...yea
Tacoma
1,969 Posts
Spring for the MAF Calibrator...the resistor is not a good idea because it's just a general cheap fix and you'll end up just wasting fuel. The MAF Calibrator will gain you way more horsepower than installing a resistor ever would. It will also be a custom tune to your particular engine and your particular mods, thereby getting the most horsepower you can out of your engine. Plus you will already have it ready and installed if you ever decided to do more engine mods in the future (Which it seems like you do) like installing a Supercharger. The MAF Calibrator is required by URD if you ever decide to install their supercharger and it can also help somewhat with the TRD Supercharger. Also many people have actually reported an INCREASE in fuel mileage after installing the MAF Calibrator because it helps keep your engine running at the perfect Air/Fuel Ratio of 14:1 which is much better than what our engines normally run. The 1GR-FE engine has been known for running PIG RICH with an AFR of 10:1

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
look into the APR X-1, it's about like 4-5 times more expensive but it's plug n play and you get some extra goodies, and benefits.

"when did I say worthless? Neither. It might make the truck a little faster for less money than a MAF calibrator. it would just fudge the sensor reading and put more fuel in the engine. basically the same thing a MAF calibrator does."

that maf actually is the opposite of this, it leans the fuel out, can program it to run richer at WOT. some one is doing a 9:1 which is dangerous.

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
look into the APR X-1, it's about like 4-5 times more expensive but it's plug n play and you get some extra goodies, and benefits.

"when did I say worthless? Neither. It might make the truck a little faster for less money than a MAF calibrator. it would just fudge the sensor reading and put more fuel in the engine. basically the same thing a MAF calibrator does."

that maf actually is the opposite of this, it leans the fuel out, can program it to run richer at WOT. some one is doing a 9:1 which is dangerous.
Isn't completely plug and play, you have to replace the cam gears or something. fyi

1 - 10 of 10 Posts