Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Moose crossing.......
93 Camry/95 Camry
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the size, type of the right axle (5SFE w/o ABS) lock bolt? I just installed a new axle in my wifes 93 this weekend, and today after bringing me my lunch she got stuck about a block from my office when the axle slipped from the housing. Upon further looking at it to see what the problem was I noticed the bearing lock bolt was removed from the assembly. Then it dawned on me I didn't remember ever taking it out or putting it back to begin with. So now I would like to run down to the parts store or hardware store tonight after I tow it back to the house and slide the axle back into place and lock it down this time. So if someone happens to know the size, and such of the bolt I'd greatly appreciate it!

·
Quasi-Evil Monkey
957 Posts
I don't have the exact size, but I think I used a 30mm socket to take the one on my camry off...

What you could do is this: Take off the Lock Nut on the other side that's still on and take it to wherever you are trying to get another one (parts store, hardware store, etc.), then you have a direct comparison (pretty sure they're going to be the same size).

Also, do not forget to install a cotter pin if there is supposed to be one, that will help if it doesn't get put back on tight and wants to try to back off. Hope this helps.

·
Moose crossing.......
93 Camry/95 Camry
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No no no....wrong part. not the Axle to wheel hub nut, but on the right axle, there is a slot that the axle slides through (just under the rear engine mount) before entering the transmission. Under that slot is a bolt that you use to lock the axle in place. Much like on the left side you use the snap ring to lock it in place.

·
Quasi-Evil Monkey
957 Posts
That bolt should only hold the bearing in place, do you have the LARGE snap ring installed? With that off, I could see the axle sliding out. If the bolt is out, all I could see is the bearing working its way out. If I'm wrong (I could always be), but i removed/replaced my axles a couple of times working with my engine, and I recall trying to tighten the bolt (just to check) but it was tight and i was able to remove the axle without doing anything to it AFTER I removed the snap ring on the outside of the housing the axle slides through.

·
Moose crossing.......
93 Camry/95 Camry
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, now then...I went back out with a friend this evening to the car and took another look at it. Put the axle back into place and drover it home. I went and picked up the snap ring from my old axle first just in case but upon checking it out, the snap ring was in fact already there. I am pretty sure that I still need to replace the missing bolt for the bearing, as that seems to be the point where it starts to slip out, thusly pulling with it the axle from the tranny. Does the bolt just go through and make contact with the bearing? I'm sure I've got a bolt around the garage that will fit it and be long enough, otherwise i"ll just go buy one tomorrow and find out for sure. *Assuming my local Toyota dealership here doesn't have it in stock*

Oh by the way...laying on your back in the snow, with it being about -15 outside and trying to work on your car...not so nice! Kinda cold actually. I was so thankful I had left some hand warmers in my gym bag when I got the car fixed.

·
Quasi-Evil Monkey
957 Posts
I think we need another TN'er to speak up, I always assumed that the lock bolt was for retaining the bearing in place. I just don't recall myaxle having that much play after installing it that it could slide out that much from the carrier; it always seemed pretty snug to me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
There is a big snap ring that holds it in. I'm not really sure what that little lock bolt does anyway. Mine doesn't even hit hte bearing race. I'm thinkin they were gonna use it to keep the bearing outter race from spinnin in the housing. There is 2 snap rings, one goes on the shaft on the trans side and holds the shaft from sliding out of the bearing and the other one is on the wheel side and snaps into the housing and keeps the bearing outter race from comming outta the housing. If you are missing either one the shaft will slide out. Good luck! and let us know. :D

·
Moose crossing.......
93 Camry/95 Camry
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, I pretty much thought the same thing, I guess that why I didn't even notice the bolt missing when I pulled out the old one and installed the new one. But after I got through putting the intake manifold back on, I slid out from under the car expecting to fight my axle into place like i'm used to, and instead I lined it up with the brace (bearing housing) and pushed forward. She slid right into the tranny housing without the slightest effort it seemed. I was amazed and thought to myself "the car gods are with me today!" and finished up putting the opposite end back into the wheel hub assembly and bolted it down. Took her out for a test drive after all the stuff I wanted to do was done and she ran fine, same for my wife all day Tuesday, until mid day when she just went around the corner and pop...the axle slid out of the transmission slightly, just enough to allow it to not catch the teeth.

·
Moose crossing.......
93 Camry/95 Camry
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any chance anyone's got a photo of there axle. Between looking at the Haynes manual, and the toyota repair manual breakdown of the axle, I just don't have a clear picture of exactly how it should be installed. From all that I can see, everything is install right, but an image to compare by would be perfect! Thanks!

·
Quasi-Evil Monkey
957 Posts
I'll try to get you a pic this evening, if I can get home before it gets dark. Basically, you should (from the pass side looking at the axle) have the cv axle going straight into the transmission, slid through the opening in the engine mount , then a ring, prolly 2-3 inches in diameter on the outside of that opening, then the rest of the cv axle going into the splined area on the back of the hub and tightened with a nut and cotter pin. Oh, and the lock bolt on the bottom side of the carrier housing (back of engine that the axle goes through, but I think that's been discussed enough :))

·
Moose crossing.......
93 Camry/95 Camry
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went by Toyota and got the dimmensions for the bolt since they didn't have it in stock, and then picked it and a lock washer up at Home depot the other day. Knocked the axle back in place and reinstalled the new bolt. Checked for a snap ring and there was already a ring there, but I don't see how that is going to stop it from sliding out. I test drove it again, and looked at it when I got home from work yesterday, it appears that it came out again from what I can tell. Soon as I can get the engine warmed (-20) up a bit i'm going to pull it back into the garage and get underneath it to get a beter look at it. I'd really appreciate it if anyone could post a image of what there's looks like. I have looked at the parts breakdown, and went back by Schucks today to look at another axle to compare, and I just don't see anything.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Can't really post a good pic don't know how, but there is 2 snap rings one snaps into the housing that the bearing sits in. The housing that is part of the motor mount if it isn't there the axle is comming out. The other snap ring is on the shaft on the other side of the bearing. How many snap rings do you have?????:confused:

·
Moose crossing.......
93 Camry/95 Camry
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I have of course installed the bolt, and I have looked over every manual I can find on the 5SFE's axle system, and can not find anything that shows two clips on the axle. I can only find the one on the rear of the axle with the bearing, facing the transmission side. I have looked at my old one, and even took the clip off of it, and came back and looked at the new one and found that though a slightly different clip, there was still one there. I couldn't even find anywhere for a clip to go that would make a difference in keeping the axle in place. I can say though that since having installed the axle lock bolt (with a lock washer) I haven't seen my axle slide out yet. I have test drove it around my neighborhood and out on the main street a bit the last 3 days after work. This included doing large and tight circles to try and pull the axle one way or the other, as well as hard accelerations to see if it would cause it to slip. After all this I would bring it home, cut the wheels to the right so I could look inside the bay and see if it's has moved. It's still snug in place. I even brought it back into the garage and jacked it up, got underneath and compared and the bearing was still snug against the rear motor mount assembly. At this point, I'm going to have to say it was just a matter of replacing the missing axle lock bolt, as that has fixed my problem from what I can see. But if i'm wrong on the clip issue, I would request that someone please post an image of their axle with both C clips so that I, and anyone in the future could compare.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts