Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Tacoma
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched this but did not find an answer. When the windows on the passenger side is down I hear a metallic rattle over bumps. When window is up nada, so it is not a big rattle, but sounds like garbage when driving next to a divider or wall for the rattle echos off it and sounds loud. Any one know the cause? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,146 Posts
Gotta read these things a little more carefully. I think the OP is referring not to a rattle in the window itself, but rather with the window down and driving next to a wall he can hear a rattle (this was the case with our Highlander after the repairs from the accident, so I get what the OP is saying).

If that's the case, then it could be anything under the truck or in the engine bay (heat shield, etc). I will pitch in with a rattle that was there when I bought my truck. I found the emergency brake cable had a metal connector under the bed that would bounce up over bumps and hit the underside of the truck. Wrapped that metal fitting in duct tape and it's been good ever since. So there's one possibility. But the possibilities could be endless...

Reactions: Dark Taco

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Nice catch Moose. You hit it on the head....possibilities are endless. Might have to get under the truck and start moving things around to determine whats making noises. My guess is a heat shield.

·
Registered
2009 Tacoma
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right, definitely not my window, its something from underneath I can only hear when window is down, thanks Goose. I'll check the brake cable you mentioned. Will be underneath to change oil this week and will check it out. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
78 Posts
There is a TSB out for a right side rattle, or a rattle in general. It's for the air intake tube. It will be under the hood on the left side looking in. I don't know what years it covers. Good luck with the ol' dreaded rattle!:eek:

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma
172 Posts
I've been having this exact same issue for months now and still haven't found what the hell is rattling! Did you ever fix the problem? Makes my truck sound like crap, pulling into the job site the other day the guys on the roof said they could hear it too. Want to fix it before it gets cold out. Same thing, rattle on the passenger side.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts