Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got pulled over last night foe tail light out, I stopped further up the road to inspect and found that both the hatch and the one on the car was burned out. I didnt inspect both bulbs It was late and i didnt have the tools. left side works fine, turn signals work fine, brake light works fine just the tail light for both the hatch and car dont work. This morning i will inspect the bulbs but was wondering if there is information on connections that i can check as it seems odd both light would be out.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Not to oversimplify but if you want to verify the circuit before you go out and buy new bulbs you could always turn on the lights and stick a multimeter in the socket. A test light would be even better as a poor ground will make the test light output flicker or dim.

Do you have an aftermarket trailer connector installed by any chance? If so check the wiring for that. Usually a t harness but a bad kit will use wire taps that pierce the insulation to make the connection.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I over thought the whole thing as it threw me that both lights were out. Im pretty good at fixing things, as I was a aircraft electrician for 40 years. I was just thinking the worst with possible wiring issue.. I checked the hatch first as it was easy to access and the bulb was burned out (a 168 4.9 watt bulb) I then accessed the other and found it also burned out. I went to autozone and got both plus extras to put in glove box. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just in case someone wants to know how to remove the tail light to access the bulb you remove 2 bolts and then from the front if the lens you pry backwards, don't pry up as it has a tab that slides into a slot. If you dont have a handy plastic pry piece to use as a tool use a straight slot and a piece of cardboard between car and lens so you don't scratch the paint.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts