Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just starting getting together stuff for a turbo project on my tercel, and i have an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator. I want to find out if it's necessary to have a rising rate regulator, or i can just crank up my aftermarket one? any comments appreciated-:spamo: ANDY lalalalalalala

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Do you have a standalone ECU or some other fuel management system? If not, you'll need the rising rate one. Otherwise you can just up the pressure and adjust the pulsewidth on the fuel management.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i don't have any management system, but i figured if i just upped the pressure on the one i have, and watched my air fuel gauge, it might be alright, but i want safety of engine above all, so....

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, well i was looking at the vortech and cartech FMU's and i learned how they worked, but i don't know which ratio one i should get, (10:1, 6:1,etc.)- im gonna run about 5-6 psi of boost and the engine is kinda gettin up there in the mileage area. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
366 Posts

try RC engineering's website, they have some calculations. (I think it's rceng.com )

You'll need to know what your current injectors flow at in cc/min.

You'll need to approximate how much HP you'll be making to determine how much more cc/min you'll need from your injectors. Expect at least an additional 10 - 15 HP per/psi, I recently dyno'd my 4age, stock it had 112 HP, at 7 psi it had 195-200 HP, so probably go with 15 HP per/psi.

edit : Almost forgot this step, calculate how much cc/min injectors you'll need for your estimated HP using the provided formula, use a BSFC of 0.6 for safety, richer is safer.

So their should be a formula on their for calculating how much fuel pressure you'll need to squeeze X cc/min from your injectors.

Once you know the fuel pressure, let's say it's 80 psi for example and stock is 42.5 psi, then you'll need approx. 40 psi additional rail pressure, if your running 5 psi of boost, then 40/5 = 8, so you'll need an 8:1 rising rate regulator (FMU), since an RRR or FMU rise X psi per 1 psi of boost.

With both the fixed rate regulator and the FMU you'll be able to tune it much better so don't get rid of the regulator you already have.

One question tho, what year tercel do you have? Cause the '95 and newer have a returnless fuel system, so I don' t know how you'd go about incorporating this stuff.

Neil

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my tercel's a 96, and i have checked it out and it is a return system, so i shouldn't have any trouble, thanks for the info man.
ANDY

·
Registered
366 Posts

I had a '95, great little car, traded it in last year tho on a minivan, wish I kept it.

Could have sworn it was returnless... maybe I'm thinking of something else. :)

Neil

1 - 10 of 10 Posts